11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2013 4:46 AM by ryan_bingham RSS

Los Angeles or Long Beach (pre-cruise hotel)

cruisetraveler Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We are flying in (LAX) 2 days early and  staying 2 days post (LAX).  We would like to know where  the best place to stay for pre and post cruise. The cruise leaves from San Pedro Port (Princess)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Los Angeles or Long Beach (pre-cruise hotel)
    lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

For Long Beach only two properties that I would recommend:

Renaissance Long Beach

Residence Inn LONG BEACH DOWNTOWN

Bofh of these properties are in the downtown/harbor area of Long Beach.  While the Long Beach Marriott is a very nice hotel, it is at Long Beach airport and there is nothing around it.  Also the Residence Inn Long Beach is also near the airport and backs onto the 405 freeway.  That is why I put LONG BEACH DOWNTOWN in bold.

There is a lot to do and see right around these two hotels.  Go to either hotels website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgbrn-renaissance-long-beach-hotel/

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgbri-residence-inn-long-beach-downtown/

I don't know if you will have a car or not.  If not, the City of Long Beach has pretty good bus transportation, especially the Passport:

http://www.lbtransit.com/services/passport.aspx

On the passport line is Belmont Shore, my favorite area of Long Beach.  Many shops and non-chain restaurants.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

cruisetraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Thank you lakersfan, I will make my reservation for Downtown Long Beach.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

AppraisalPlus,

You might want to also consider the Courtyard Downtown Long Beach.  It's just a couple of blocks down from the Renaissance, and one very short block up from Ocean Blvd.  When I stayed there in March, as a gold, they upgraded me to a room with a view of the Queen Mary.  The hotel is right in the heart of it all, and less expensive than the Renaissance.  Parking is only $12, and they have a full-service restaurant (so free hot brekkie for golds/plats) and room service (it is one of the blessed CY's that didn't go 'Bistro' and is owned by a Marriott family member.)  So just another fine Long Beach property to consider, depending on what type of property you're looking for.

Like Lakersfan, I too love Belmont Shore and Naples (I was married in a gorgeous church in Bellie Shore, as a matter of fact...)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto,

Yes, that is a great option!  Forgot about the CY!  It probably would save some money.  It is close to another very nice place to dine:

555 Steakhouse!

The other place to dine is on Main Street, and I think it is called "La Opera", it was also very good!

555 is a good one.  We also like Gladstone's and Yard House both on Shoreline Drive.  One could easily walk to either place from the LB Renaissance.  Such a beautiful area.

pluto,

I forgot about Gladstone's or Yard House!

Is one of them on a corner and has a large outdoor dining patio on the water side of the street?  I was there and just remember I was glad I walked from The Ren., because parking was impossible and the place was packed!

They are both located on Shoreline Drive, next to Shoreline Village.  My family goes way back with Long Beach.  We've lived in a number of neighborhoods there throughout three generations (and four if you count the fact that one of my daughters was born at Long Beach Naval Hospital.)  I'm getting quite nostalgic now. My grandmother was an electrical engineer, and did the original electrical lighting design for Shoreline Village back in the day.  I have a great night time aerial shot of Shoreline Village taken from their plane (back in the 60's) that shows the lighting that she did (but I'm not a proud granddaughter or anything...).

Pluto,

How interesting!  You must be proud of her work!

They have done "Wonders" in Long Beach, and it is a favorite of mine as well!

Like that "Johnny Rockets" on Main Street as well!

Great advice lakersfan!

That Renaissance Long Beach is a favorite!

Walking down the main street is really a lot of fun from the hotel.

Consider having dinner one night on the "Haunted", Queen Mary, at Sir Winston's, it is great!

Have a wonderful trip!

ryan_bingham Platinum 13 Reviews

Definitely the Renaissance, IMO.  Ask for a PURE room, ocean view if you are PP or Plat.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...