8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2013 1:51 PM by pingreeman RSS

Booking family room with points

dee_uk Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

HAving read a few posts on here already I think I know the answer to this but I'm going to ask for help anyway

The Sharm El Sheik Golden view renaissance hotel has standard rooms and family/exec suites. I have looked at the pictures for the hotel and one carries the label "Ideal for family escapes! All ground floor units consist of one bedroom, a living room with a sofa bed, and a fully-equipped kitchen.". Sounds ideal indeed!

however when I try to book this room I run into 2 problems:

1. If I try with £'s I can select a family room but there is no mention of a kitchen in the description

2. If I try with points I'm restricted to standard guest rooms.

i Would really, really appreciate some help booking a family room with a kitchen, preferably with points. I understand from previous posts that the best route is getting direct access to the individual hotel's manager.

For what it is worth I am currently Premier Elite  and, apparently, platinum for life.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Booking family room with points
    missgee Silver 40 Reviews

You're going to expect this response then.  lol

I would do one or both of these.  You can call the Platinum hotline and see if they can help.  Sometimes you get someone who really knows their stuff and will work wonders.  The downside of this is that you may get someone new who you will have to train.  lol

The best results I've had is to call the hotel, directly, and ask to speak with the reservations manager. 

Good luck.  Would you mind reporting back on any successes, or lack thereof?  I'd be interested in hearing what happens.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

P.S.  I imagine a "family" room includes a kitchen so maybe just a quick call to the front desk to ask that question would solve everything and you won't even have to escalate it to the reservations manager.

dee_uk Platinum

I am currently on holiday hence wanting to use the forum email to solve. So far I've received a response from uk customer service to day mre query has been sent to the executive office at the resort

here's hoping!

dee_uk Platinum

I got a reply via email earlier today. Not bad service really.

the positive is the fact I got an answer the negative is that you can only book standard rooms on points. If I want to have a family room I was given three choices

1. Hope to be upgraded on arrival!

2. Pay $50 per night upgrade for non-sea view family suite ( with kitchen)

3. Pay $75 per night upgrade for sea view family suite (with kitchen)

GIven that the difference in price between a standard and family room is $37 rack rate I not terribly impressed.

Ahh.  Well, hopefully, you will be arriving during the low season.  If you keep checking what's available online you will be able to gauge your odds on getting an upgrade.  lol.  Alternatively, check your online reservations just prior to your arrival and they should show the type room they have you in.  At a minimum, they now know about your inquiry so you have upped your odds for an upgrade already. 

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

For YEARS I wanted MR to allow booking suites or ANY room rather than being limited to standard rooms when using points. It's been two years since I spoke with the VP-MR who said "Marriott was looking into it" but alas, nothing yest. Hence, I have switched to Hilton and already have close to 125 nights this year. MARRIOTT - ARE YOU STILL NOT LISTENING?

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

I share your frustration, Pingreeman. And, I would really like it if we could pay for a room, and then use points to upgrade to a suite. Called Los Suenos to do this, but was not allowed. However, at the Costa Rica Marriott San Jose, I was able to book a suite using points(but it sure ate up a lot of points). I really wish Marriott would allow a couple of us unite upgrades a year for Platinum. Now that would be an awesome perk!

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

lakeshore - ironically, I spent nights at both properties you mention; Los Suenos - no upgrade; CRM-SJ upgraded, but not to a suite - just a view of the pool; our next 10 days was at the LS in a regular room, er, ah - upgrade to "view of the pool" - but still no suite. AGREE - may have cost a lot of points for you, but at least you had a SUITE when you wanted it. Last year I earned nearly 800K of points; last year, I had only one opportunity to take the family on vacation; I would have spent the 800K on a suite had the option been available, but it was not.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...