6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2013 4:00 PM by pluto77 RSS

National Marine Corps Museum in Quantico, Virginia

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated
The National Museum of the Marine Corps is the historical museum of the United States Marine Corps. Located in MCB Triangle, Virginia, the museum opened on November 10, 2006, and is now the top tourist ... Wikipedia
Opened: November 10, 2006
Hours:
Thursday hours 9:00 am–5:00 pm  -  See all
Address: 18900 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Triangle, VA 22134
Architectural style: Deconstructivism
Phone: (877) 635-1775

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5V80dHIbx8

(a little more than 8 min. in length)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlgkLYuJ2A0

(23:31 in length)  (BTW, John Phillips Sousa used to vacation in Camden, SC when it was a big tourist area as a back-up to malaria coastal vacation

I had never heard of this museum that was created in 2006 until I got the following e-mail.

Now, a statue will be revealed honoring a mare in the Korean War / Conflict that was renamed as Sgt. Reckless.  Her story was amazing.  Someone sent this in an e-mail to me last night.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Quantico, Virginia, USA
  • Re: National Marine Corps Museum in Quantico, Virginia
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Eb5147,

Great post!  I was stationed at Quantico over 30 years ago.  I couldn't resist sharing with you a photo of my USMC shrine at my desk.

IMG_0338.JPG

Here's a close up of a pin from the museum.

IMG_0339.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Nice.  I guess you've been to the museum.  Quite a mixture -- Disneyland, Quantico and Marines, U.S. patriotism (of course) and 9/11 fire dept. tribute.

I think that we must have talked about it before because I told someone my brother was at Quantico after he got out of boot camp at Pendleton in '68 or early '69.  I'm sure that was long before you were there.

My father was also a Marine in the Pacific theater.

So, had you heard of Sgt. Reckless?  The e-pal who sent it to me was an Army tanker lifer.

Hi eb,

I think we talked about it before too.  I was there in the early 80's for training/computer sciences school (as you probably know, Quantico is a development and education command).  When I graduated, I received permanent orders for HQMC, WDC.

Actually, no, I haven't been to the museum yet.    Coincidentally, a colleague of mine out here in CA went to Quantico High School, as her father was a command Sergeant Major there about the same time that I was a student there (but we never knew each other).  After the museum opened, they made a family pilgrimage back there to visit the museum (and I think they bought some engraved bricks to be installed somewhere there), and brought me back the pins.  They said it's a great museum.  I haven't yet made my pilgrimage, but hope to as soon as I'm retired.

The firefighter stamp as I'm sure you know, resembles the iconic photo (and subsequent statue in Arlington) of the Marines placing the U.S. flag on Mt. Suribachi, Iwo Jima during WWII.  As for the Disney name tag, well, I used to work there in college.  I've never heard of Sgt. Reckless.  I'll google it.

Cheers.

I put a link about Sgt. Reckless in the first post above.

My brother was also in the computer science school, but was deployed to Nam.

I'd read that you really liked Pluto when you worked there and took the handle here.  It must have been a really great experience.

I got to work as a staffer at Glorieta, NM Baptist Assembly for the first half of the summer after my graduation from H.S.   So that was also a happy memory.  I'd never heard of it, but my aunt paid for my plane ticket so that I'd be there when she and my uncle (her brother) and his wife and daughters were there the last week of it so we could all see each other.  They all lived in Nashville and we lived in TX, so we didn't get to see each other much after they had moved there.  And then I had 2 other uncles, brothers of the same aunt and uncle, who lived in Albuquerque, NM so my parents drove over to pick me up and have sort of a family reunion by driving to Albu. afterwards.

Then we got to go into CO and were in the hometown of Jack Dempsey when he was being honored by a parade on his birthday.  Small town with a sign at the edge of it that said "Turn Back" in the middle of the field if you had driven down it to try to get around town.  It was a HUGE field, too.

Eb,

This is really a wild trot down memory lane that we are having.  I wonder if your brother and I shared the same MOS.  Mine was 4063.  Later I added 4066.  I think there's actually a website out there somewhere that is dedicated to - of all things - Marine 4063's or 4066's.  It's been a while since I saw it.  Next time you talk to him, ask him what his MOS was.  That would be wild if it was the same, because there are not many of us.

My grandfather's name was Jack Dempsey, though not 'THE' Jack Dempsey.  He was a Missouran.

As for Pluto, I actually WAS Pluto.  Also, Brer Fox, Chip, Dale, 6 out of 7 dwarves and I'm embarrassed to say that I actually did King Louie once or maybe twice (torturous).  Pluto was my absolute favorite, with Brer Fox a close second.  Maybe in the fall (when the weather cools off), I'll dig through some photos in the attic and share them.

I found a wonderful article in Leatherneck magazine about Sgt. Reckless.  Very sentimental and heartwarming.

Sgt Reckless: Combat Veteran | Leatherneck - Magazine of the Marines

Thanks again for a terrific post.

I'm sorry I forgot to ask, is/was your father a WWII vet?  If so, I salute both your father and your brother for their combat service, and Semper Fi!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...