24 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2013 10:28 PM by GemPrincess RSS

7 Day Concierge Lounge in U.S.

curiousone Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just returned from 4 nights (Monday - Friday) in San Francisco, 2 nights at the JW and 2 nights at the Westin St. Francis. I was pleased that my time at the JW was during the week so I could use the lounge. Imagine my surprise when I saw the sign outside the CL. Wouldn't it be nice if this was normal? The cocktails and appetizers where very good, cheeses, crackers, mixed nuts, Coconut breaded shrimp, spring rolls, pot roast. For our first night it was a good light dinner. The wine and beer were on the pricey side, but hey it's SF. The breakfast was very good, scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, oatmeal, mixed fruit, a variety of breads, OJ and coffee. My room was nothing special, but I did use points for it. I was planning on using the remote check-in via the Marriott app, but forgot about it until we walked into the lobby. We were greeted at the elevator door by an associate with an iPAD who proceeded to check us in and hand us our keys. Done in about 30 seconds. Each morning there was a local paper outside my door. The CL also had the WSJ and USA Today. No problem getting a late checkout of 2 PM. Our room had the quietest air conditioner I have ever not heard, unbelievable.

Concierge Lounge Hours.jpg

The Westin was a block away from the JW so we just walked ourselves down to it on Wednesday afternoon. I am Gold with Westin which got me no upgrade or CL lounge access. I also used points for this room, so I was not surprised when I was looking at another building from my room window. The St. Francis was built in the early 1900's so it is an old building that has been updated. I am not a big fan of staying in old buildings. They can update them as much as they want, they are still cramped and awkward. Luckily it was only 2 nights and I can now say I have stayed at the St. Francis.

This was another trip where we used only our feet or public transportation. We made it to Chile Pies and Ices Cream where we had green chile apple pie drizzled with red chile honey. Yum! We did the Segway tour that goes to Telegraph Hill, Russian Hill and Nob Hill. We also got to go down Lombard Street 2 times. So far in 2013 we have been to San Diego, Portland, Seattle and San Francisco. Los Angeles (Santa Monica) is planned for October. That should take care of the west coast for a while.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Francisco, CA, USA
  • Re: 7 Day Concierge Lounge in U.S.
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

curiosone,

Great report and pictures!

It really sounds like you are having a wonderful year of travel!

It also sounds like you are getting to use your points for some famous properties.

Please keep the information coming.  Hope all the CL's have hours like the JW!  That can really help with expenses!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

Good to know.  I will be staying at this JW Marriott in December (mostly during the weekend) so I am glad that it will be open.  I have been to only one US Marriott brand hotel where the Concierge Lounge is open on weekends--Cincinnati Marriott RiverCenter.  I have heard that the JW Marriotts in Denver and Indianapolis are also open 7 days a week.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I stayed at this property late last year and really liked it. The building looks to been constructed in the '70's but has been updated.

The one thing that I didn't like about the CL was that they didn't have bottled water (something about them being environmentally proactive) and in their place had filtered water units  to be used to fill cups.

The location is ideal and if you will have a car, there are two public garages close by, one a block away on Mason Street near Geary and the other at Stockton and Sutter. Don't allow them to charge you their $64/day extortion fees to park.

Last bit of advice, forget the CL for breakfast and head straight to Sears Fine Food on Powell Street. They have been at that location since the 1940's and serve up the best pancakes in the city, just don't let the line put you off.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Just checked in and received the great news that its now the new Marriott standard for the Concierge Lounge to be open 7 days a week!

Such great news!

Maybe things are getting back to normal again?

GP,

All CL's?

If that is the case, I wish now I had stayed The Marriott property instead of a competitor in Chicago, this week-end!

Thank-you for the information!

JC,

That is my understanding!

When I checked in I thought I wasn't hearing correctly.  I thought he was telling me when the CL would open on Sunday night.  Not that he meant Sat & Sun breakfast.

When I asked for clarification, he confirmed it was Sat & Sun, and told me that it was a Marriot standard practice in the US, like it was something I should have known, and he was just reminding me.

Interesting???

GP,

Thanks for your information!

We will see how it goes.

Your efforts are appreciated!

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

GemPrincess, this is pretty big news if it is corporate wide! Did they said this new standard would be published somewhere?

All I have is what the front desk told me tonight, and the paper sign taped over the permanent one.

My take is that its fairly recent if they haven't had time to replace the sign on the CL (that and the fact it did not happen at Essex House the last weekend in June).

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

That was my experience last weekend at the JW Marriott at Union Square in San Francisco - and it was greatly appreciated: Good location, well managed property, generous concierge lounge

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

Outstanding!!

SAM_1011.JPG

It looks to have been put up quickly....paper sign taped over the permanent sign.

Also I was just at the Essex House in NYC the last weekend in June, and the CL was closed.  They did comp me the buffet breakfast that was lovely but was very expensive.  And the property I am in now use to always comp me the Breakfast Buffet on the weekend.  Maybe the properties realized that if they were going to have to provide breakfast to Gold and Platinums, that it was cheaper to keep the CL open than pick up the tab on the Breakfast Buffet that runs from $20/pp in the Full Service properties to $40/pp at the Renaissance & JW properties?

GemPrincess wrote:

SAM_1011.JPG

It looks to have been put up quickly....paper sign taped over the permanent sign.

Also I was just at the Essex House in NYC the last weekend in June, and the CL was closed.  They did comp me the buffet breakfast that was lovely but was very expensive.  And the property I am in now use to always comp me the Breakfast Buffet on the weekend.  Maybe the properties realized that if they were going to have to provide breakfast to Gold and Platinums, that it was cheaper to keep the CL open than pick up the tab on the Breakfast Buffet that runs from $20/pp in the Full Service properties to $40/pp at the Renaissance & JW properties?

I think this sign is just that some Marriott Concierge Lounges will now be open for weekend breakfast per Marriott's new breakfast for 2 announcement.   I think most US properties are still going to be closed Friday and Saturday night with some exceptions (Napa Valley Marriott, JW Marriott Indianapolis, JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek, Cincinnati Marriott RiverCenter, JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square, etc.).

Here is what I have experienced since Marriott's weekend breakfast for 2 announcement:

--JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead - Concierge Lounge open on weekends for breakfast only; full breakfast buffet

--Santa Clara Marriott - Like weekday breakfast, breakfast is served in this Marriott's sports bar; unfortunately, on weekends, they go to continental only; no scrambled eggs, no bacon; Concierge Lounge closed on weekends

--Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile - Concierge Lounge closed on weekends; they do not offer continental breakfast for 2; instead, they offer 1,000 points/day for Sat and Sun (so up to 2,000 points per weekend)

--Marriott Madison West - Concierge Lounge closed on weekends; they provide a breakfast/points choice: full breakfast buffet for 2 in their lobby or 750 points (I believe this is per day like Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile)

I have nothing in writing

only what the front desk told me at checkin.

and this paper sign.

All appears to be rcent as Essex House the CL was closed the entire weekend, and that was only 1 month ago

Also, this property, like all the properties I frequent on a regular basis have always honored all the platinum privileges.  Any that don't, I never use again.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I just checked with the Denver Renaissance where I will be staying this weekend and was told that the CL is closed on the weekends. 

superchief1 Platinum

Shoeman,

This property recently provided vouchers for full buffet breakfast on weekends. Hopefully, they still provide this rather than the downgrade to continental that many hotels have done. Have a great stay.

supercheif,

Thanks for the information, and good luck Shoeman!

Please let us know if you get the vouchers!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hey Superchief, thanks for the heads-up!!

safe travels

shoeman

I was just at the Minneapolis City Center Marriott.  Concierge Lounge was closed for the weekend. They offer continental breakfast buffet for free or full buffet for an extra $2.

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

Just stayed at the JW Chicago August 12-14, and CL was open on weekends only for  breakfast Sat. And Sun. And only for  elite member and one guest(luckily it was just hubby and myself...kids were happily staying with grandma and grandpa! ). We actually had a rate that included $60 room service for breakfast each morning, so we did not go to the CL in the morning.

Then this past weekend we were at the Wichita Marriott, and on Sat. morning they gave us(including our 3 children) a free delicious breakfast  at the restaurant, which included a fresh omelet and waffle station and coffee to go....very nice! CL was closed on the weekend. If anyone ever gets to Wichita, I highly recommend staying at the full service Marriott...as Platinum, we are always treated exceptionally. Call ahead for a room upgrade. they are very nice! I will be writing a review later.

As for this post, I did not encounter CLs being open all weekend.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

I have had several stays at the Renaissance in Denver.  When the lounge is closed they have given us complimentary breakfast in the restaurant.  Each time, there seems to be no limit except alcoholic beverages.  We received a seperate check for mimosas!  Two mornings our three grandchildren were with us and they comp'd their breakfasts too.  And...the service was outstanding.

Princeton Marriott Forrestal is one of the nicest Full Service Marriotts.

Prior to the 'policy change' of CL being open weekends, they use to give me breakfast coupons which they refer to as Platinum coupons.

While they said its a new Marriott policy, I wonder if they mean just for their property.

Will be at the Bethesda Marriott next couple of weeks, and will let you know the experience there

Just stayed at the FS Marriott in Bethesda, and the CL is not open on the weekends, so it must be a Marriott Princeton Forrestal policy to keep the CL open on the weekends.

In Bethesda, when I asked about the CL hours, I didn't even need to request breakfast coupons they were automatically offered, along with a choice to take 750 points per day instead.

I think its nice they are offering options as days may be meeting others for breakfast outside the hotel, I can points instead.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...