17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2013 2:00 PM by ansaa RSS

Heads Up Insiders - Fake reservations are now occurring

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Ok, here we go sportsfans, from the same folks who brought you that smooth UA/Continental merger, my wife (yes, not even my account) got an e-mail confirming her (non-existent, never made) reservation at the Houston Marriott Westchase (we didn't open - she just saw it thru her window). I called Platinum Customer Service and was informed they had been chasing this down all morning, and for me to immediately delete the e-mail.  I'm not going to be able to take too many more enhancements

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Heads Up Insiders - Fake reservations are now occurring
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

yikes, thats pretty horrible.  At least you aren't seeing actual reservations in your account, thus creating charges for stays you never booked

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

designdeva Platinum 3 Reviews

Got this one this morning but Gmail sent it right to spam folder.  It was also sent to my alternative email, not the one I use for business.  I am VERY cautious about email now.  More scams than legit communication.

erc Platinum

What made us so nervous was that it came through on my wife's primary. We were fortunate that she doesn't ever interact with Marriott, so she was immediately suspicious (hopefully of Marriott and not me ) and called me over. Vaboy and others, I followed up with Marriott and they said it's been an all day affair, which I imagine will be the last we hear from them - but yes, given the web site issues, the recent posts about lost points, and the UA/Marriott password games, it gives reason for pause.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

erc,

If you and the missus aren't going to use the room, would you mind if give it a try? I've never been there and if you're payin' I'm stayin'.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

erc,

And here I thought you were coming for a visit!!!

This is pretty scary.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Why not go there if it's free?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I did not receive the rogue email, but - not to be contrary - I'm sympathetic to Marriott on this one.  It could be a moment of internal stupidity (yes, yes, it could), but it might also be a data breach.  All companies experience data breaches these days (including the largest, most sophisticated multi-national firms and, of course, the federal government's various departments and agencies), although few publicly admit it.

I'm particularly sympathetic because, over the summer, we had our first experience with digital identify theft (which occurred, of course, while I was out of the country). [How convenient!!!! Imagine trying to answer specific, arcane, detail-oriented questions about your past financial transactions without access to your records (or your online account) - argh!!!!] Strangely, it was our mortgage account - my initial reaction was that I was ecstatic that someone was trying to steal my debt, but, alas, it's serious business.  Fortunately, we did not suffer any financial losses, but it's difficult to calculate the amount of time and energy we spent unpacking the problem, resolving it, ensuring that our other online accounts were not compromised, etc.  I don't wish this on any of you.

Cheers

fhllast4ever Platinum

I did not get a fake e-mail but each time  I log on to www.Marriott.com, a new Marriott website appears, complete with sign-in

options.  I thought Marriott changed its website again.

The first time I was about to sign-in.  Luckily I was interrupted by family so I closed my computer.  When I returned to

Marriott.com, the old website came up.  I was suspicious so I changed my profile --user name, password and deleted my

credit card on file.

ansaa Member

fhllast4ever - Glad to hear your email wasn't affected and that you're taking a proactive approach with your account. Since you mention some concern regarding the website, I wanted to let you know that other members have also expressed having difficulties/seeing changes with the Marriott website within the last few days or so (you can read about it at Site Difficulties and New Marriott.com site navigation - thoughts?). You may be seeing different versions of the site because of a test our website crew was (is) running as they work to figure out which font sizes, link colors, and placement of buttons are most intuitive and user-friendly. Hope that helps alleviate some anxiety.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...