6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2013 4:26 PM by skiadcock RSS

Platinum Arrival $100.00 Guarantee Bonus is a Scam and Borders on False Advertising

joeohl Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The $100 platinum level guarantee if you do not receive your arrival Gift is a lieI! The fine print says that if you do not tell the hotel that you Did not receive your gift Before you check out, You are not eligible for the hundred dollars.

If you choose to receive the 500 points, you cannot find out if you have got them until a few days later when you check your statement. This has  happened  to me four times this year.  When I call they add the points, however they will not give you any type of compensation for $100.  There is no way you can know if you get points before you check out.

This is classic false advertising at its best!

• Re: Platinum Arrival $100.00 Guarantee Bonus is a Scam and Borders on False Advertising
    genevaflyer Platinum 1 Reviews

Hi,

I think the guarantee is much more focused on the amenity (or now the $10 F&B credit in the US), which is something that cannot be fixed once you leave the hotel. The 500 points can always be credited retroactively. Thus, Marriott still has the opportunity to fix the issue after the fact.

However, if you don't get your F&B credit or your amenity, there is no further resolution possible, thus the guarantee and the need to take care of it before you leave.

I know it's frustrating to have to chase 500 points, but you will get them in the end.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Arrival $100.00 Guarantee Bonus is a Scam and Borders on False Advertising
    stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I was able to successfully get the $100 as I was able to prove to the hotel and MR cusotmer service that I was not offered the 500 points and I did not receive them. I will tell you it is a property I frequent, so they do know me, they had a trainee who was about to go off as the shift was ending when I arrived, and they forgot to offer me any amenity, and I forgot to ask (I know I shouldnt have to ask). The FD manager knows I always get the 500 points (the old and new non 500 point amenity wandt/isnt worth much to me) and when I started the claim process, I had lots of facts to go by and the FD manager offered me the $100 guarantee (and gave me the 500 bonus points and the MR customer service threw in 1000 more for my troubles). I am not defending Marriott, but I do want to point out that I was able to obtain the guarantee by having facts and being able to back them up.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

chillian Platinum 1 Reviews

A few months ago I stayed at the Marriott near Venice Beach.  Checked in, was not offered a platinum bonus.  I told the receptionist, he apologized, he spoke to his manager and gave me $100 cash--all without me asking for anything extra.  I think the benefit is real.

joeohl Gold 1 Reviews

I am glad you got the cash.  Unfortunately the web site advertises that if you take the points and you do not receive them, there is a $100 benefit.  There is no way of knowing whether you get the points unitl after you leave.  Your situation was that the employee forgot to acknowledge you as a platinum member or forgot to offer you the platinum award. I guess what I should do is go back to the hotel and complain to the manager on my next visit with a printed statement.

rickma Platinum

The way it is worded requires that staff be honest and sadly at a lot of properties the staff rather lie to cover themselves than be honest with you. This has happened to me about a dozen times and it has been pretty much 50/50 split on properties that honored their mistake vs claimed to have offered something or claimed to have just given me points - which to my mind is not in keeping with the spirit of the commitment.

Since there is no way to independently verify when the points really were added to your account as it stands right now we're stuck with taking the properties word for it.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

While I can diss Marriott with the best of them, the $100* platinum arrival guaranty is not a 'scam'.  I and many others have received the $100 when invoking the guarantee.  Also, since the T&Cs are clearly defined it doesn't quite fit the 'false advertising' label either.

The program is that you are offered either 500 points or a food/beverage amenity/$10FB credit**.  If you are not offered either the points or the other option at all, if you let them know before check-out you are entitled to the $100 guarantee.  Some properties may try to offer you a choice when you invoke the guarantee, but you are not required to accept the points or the food/beverage amenity/$10FB credit & can (politely) insist on the $100.  If the food/beverage amenity (if chosen) does not arrive, you are entitled to the $100

If the points are not posted post-stay, the $100 does not apply due to the prior to check out rule.  My personal opinion is that Marriott should offer double the points when the points don't post, to make up for us having to take time from our day to call & get them manually added.

* $100 is for full-service properties.  2nd tier brands the guarantee amount is different.

** Prior to 6/22 it was food/beverage amenity & still is internationally post 6/22.  Post 6/22 US/Canada it's $10FB credit.

Cheers.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...