10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2013 11:31 AM by vaboywnder RSS

Future Travel ...NYC to LA in 45min?

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

According to an article posted on The Next Web "Entrepreneur and Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk will publish an “alpha design” for Hyperloop, an entirely new form of public transportation that is faster than the bullet train and potentially self-powering, on August 12."

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/07/15/musk-will-publish-designs-for-hyperloop-a-transport-system-faster-than-the-bullet-train-on-aug-12/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheNextWeb+%28The+Next+Web+All+Stories%29

The proposed Evacuated Tube Transport Technologies (ET3) project would utilize "car sized passenger capsules" which are 5' in diameter and could hold up to 6 passengers in each.

http://www.et3.com/

Travel times between NYC and LA would be 45min with a projected cost of $100 per passenger as reported by an articled in Yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/san-francisco-l-30-mins-proposed-transportation-system-180600043.html

The ET3 system could also be built for international travel where travelers could travel from NYC to China in 2hours as depicted in the following project video:

If this project takes off I could easily see this hurting the airline industry.  What do you think? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Future Travel ...NYC to LA in 45min?
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

That would be awesome. We would probably have to stand in line even longer than waiting for an airplane though since each only holds 6 persons. I would definitely like to see it for international travel. Think...instead of 16 hour flight to China it would only be a couple of hours.....oh heaven

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Coast to Coast and International Travel would be awesome!  Maybe I could finally take my bucket trip to Australia!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Oh so true vaboywnder. My husband only gets two weeks vacation so we have not yet been able to do the Austrailia cruise we have been wanting to do as they are 14 days in length. Tack on flying time back and forth and it can't happen. With a short jaunt to Austrailia....well the possibility could become reality. Of course by the time this actually might happen, I will probably be too old to enjoy it lol

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Forgive my skepticism, but NY to LA in 45 minutes is traveling at Mach 5+.  I doubt it!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

So I'm wondering if this will come online before or after I take delivery of the hovercraft I was promised in 1959. 

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Interesting concept, but I don't think it's a feasible system.  There's too many issues with infrastructure to overcome.  More likely to occur is the coming back of supersonic commercial air travel and, perhaps, hypersonic commercial travel.  Will it happen within our lifetimes?  We'll see! 

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

With that speed of travel and a potential $100 per leg, we would not need to spend nights in hotels anymore - we just travel home every night! Goodbye hoteliers!

LOL...well people do need to take vacations and earn points to be able to take vacations. 

fhllast4ever Platinum

Hyperloop is a new technology and I believe this form of transport will be here within the next ten years.

It will definitely hurt the airlines,maybe not the hotels as people do stay to explore new places.

Another interesting article and video in USA Today about this new concept.  Some critics say the technology will not work.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/08/13/hyperloop-elon-musk-tesla-space-x/2646969/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...