5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2014 9:28 PM by nuhusker RSS

Child free flights?

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
  • Re: Child free flights?
    missgee Silver 40 Reviews

I would absolutely pay extra to be seated in a child free zone!  When you're seated next to a screaming child for 7 straight hours you would do anything to make it stop.  I would also pay extra to be in a child free Concierge Lounge.  Which is sad, because it's a good opportunity for them to use the manners which they have been taught.  Unfortunately, too many parents, these days, are omitting those lessons.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nstraveler Platinum 14 Reviews

I have kids and have traveled with them plenty. When a fellow passenger has an upset kid, I am so thankful that it is not me getting all the stares that it doesn't bother me in the least.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I think offering child free flights or more likely cabins would be a bit problematic, given so many different types of aircrafts and seat configurations that exist today.  The bottom line to the airline is number of paid passengers, and we've already seen that they will do whatever it takes to stuff as many passengers as they possibly can on a flight, and fly planes as full as possible.  I don't see how it can contribute to the industry bottom line: profitability.  And where would you draw the line in a cabin on planes which have only one large economy cabin?  It would be sort of like in the old days when they had smoking and non-smoking sections.  If you were in the first row of the non-smoking section, it didn't do much good since the person in the seat in front of you was smoking.  I don't see much difference with regards to crying children.  So I would not pay extra for a "child-free" seat.

I preferred this article: Flying with children: a stress-free guide - Telegraph

I'm one that subscribes to the "It takes a village" philosophy.  While flying child free would be preferable quite honestly, living - or flying as it were - in the real world dictates that this often isn't the case, for which I would (given few options) prefer to be part of the solution.  I am happy to engage the little ones in an effort to amuse, entertain, delight, codify, comfort and redirect them from the behaviors that the stress of flying can induce in youngsters (which can in turn induce stress in their adults) if it's helpful and I am sitting next to them.  But I still have the energy for that.  At the very least, being tolerant and compassionate can be of some comfort to the stressed parents.  (And I'm not talking about incessant seat back kicking, or unruly, inappropriate behavior of school aged children, etc. but am more referring to infant and toddler crying and irritability).

On a recent 15 hour flight, there were some crying infants/toddlers in the bassinet seats of the bulkhead row just a few seats away.  Aside from smiling at the parents to let them know that "It's okay, I'm on your side," a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones took care of the problem.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Pluto, I like that you would rather be part of the solution than just another problem.  Good job.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...