34 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2014 9:09 AM by iahflyr Branched to a new discussion. RSS

New Marriott.com site navigation - thoughts?

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'll be the first to chime with "it sucks, I hate it, put it back, fix it...."

It wasn't broken, why change it and without warning. 

Oh and by the way, can someone show me how to find the link to the Insiders page?  I could ONLY find it via the site map, it was not in any place I have had it before, its not readily available so was that a "oopsss" by the Marriott.com team or is there something we haven't been told about the insiders pages (I'm assuming the first)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: New Marriott.com site navigation - thoughts?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Okay, I'll be the first to ask, what are you talking about?  I have not seen or had anything new on the Marriott site at all.  I just checked it out and looked at some upcoming reservations, no difference so splain it please to this slow old guy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

It had previously had a login box and account info, links etc in the top right and not this gray nav bar style.  Is this not what it looks like when you log in?

newmrsite.jpg

Looks like what I see except for the gray nav bar.............don't get to technical, remember I am old!!!

so you still see the login and info box on the top right?  Not the menus like this?newmrsite2.jpg

or newmrsite3.jpg

you'll also notice, there's no link to the Insiders page in those, even if I dive into sub-menus on the left, nada until I click site map

Not at all like that, wonder what I've done wrong?

dunno maybe they are slowly rolling it out or I was a bad boy

either way, the new site, yeah not a fan LOL  and they gotta fix the links, too much of a pain to find my way back in here without a bookmark

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Zuk,

Agree with you!

When I went on the Marriott site to find MI, I honestly thought it had "Been done away with"!  I do believe that this site "Will not be around in the future"!

I made a reservation for an upcoming trip to Cleveland, and luckily saw "See what Insiders have to say". 

This is really a "Step back", it is really time consuming to try to find this site, and I think many people will give up!

Just my opinion?

yep, exactly.  If I wasn't already aware of the insiders pages, I would not have ever found it on the site that I'm presented with at marriott.com right now.  If that site design is pushed out globally to everyone, the insiders will take a hit in participation without question.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hi Zukracer - thanks for the screenshots and concern! You can always reach Insiders directly at www.marriottrewardsinsiders.com but that doesn't help those that don't know about the community. I'll also see about renaming the footer link to Insiders as "Members" is hardly the best label to link here. Happy Friday!

I can also add that this is a limited test - so it's not fully baked and not everyone will see it.

Yes, I do see the members link now, which is sorta misleading but the sucko part is that it doesn't automatically log me into the Insiders page.  If I come from the site map it does and when I used to click the link in my "useful links" area it did.

I think more over, why weren't we at least given a heads up on it?  Allowed to beta test it or is this the beta test? Was it an oversight or are the two sites just that disconnected?  I understand that change is inevitable and always happening but I sure wish folks would realize that if its not broken or if its not going to significantly increase productivity or reduce processing load on the servers, leave things well enough alone.  This looks like someone in the marketing department got a wild hair somewhere and decided "oh well its looked the same for a few months, lets change it again".  One other bit o feedback I would have provided had we been able to beta test it:  Its too gray/black.  Marriott has a lot of colors in their properties, can we at least have some on the web page?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I saw it and don't like it.  Why is Marriott paying someone to change something that's not broken?  On my computer with Windows Vista, everything still looks the same.  But on my computer with Windows 7 or 8, I forget which one, the marriott site is totally different.  And the only way I found Insiders from the Marriott home site was to click on Members all the way at the bottom of the screen...had to scroll down quite a ways to even see that and then just got lucky that it took me to Insiders.  But then I had to sign into Insiders all over again.  And as for going straight to insiders...I don't like that. I want to be able to go to the Marriott homepage and have an easy to get to, recognizable link straight to Insiders, otherwise it's not worth the trouble.  Tell whoever comes up with the brilliant ideas that not everybody who looks at this site is as smart as they are about navigating a computer.  Thank you.

superchief1 Platinum

I agree completely. I had finally figured out how to navigate the previous website and now they change it again. There isn't even a login on the initial view. I had to click on Rewards to login. The website designers must have previously worked for Microsoft designing the windows updates

lizbeth Platinum

I had been traveling and had not been on Insiders for a while.  The changes are awful.  I can't imagine that they were made by anyone with an ounce of experience in marketing.  I hadn't been a frequent contributor, but followed the discussions quite often.  I am sorry to say it, but this feels like the death throes of the site to me.

davidinla Platinum

Just chiming in "the site sucks" !!!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

I don't like the new site either.  While it's visually cleaner and a little nicer, it's navigation is awful, and yes the Insider link being renamed like that is very misleading.  I though the link was gone entirely before I read this thread.

What never fails to irritate me, though, is the fact that I'll often try to login directly through Insiders, but they I'll get redirected to the marriott.com page to login there, then have to login again on Insiders.  What's the use of SSO if it isn't going to work right?  The new marriott.com just compounded the problem for me...

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I am with all of you.  I "hate" it.

The old site finally came back and this is the first that I have been on Insiders.  I never found it with that horrible replacement.

I would do a search and then try another and it would keep the old, the problems went on and on.  Don't bring it back.

There are things with the last update that I hate too.  It seems that everytime they change it, it is worse.

Lucky... I still have the "new" site  

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

Totally agree that I do not like the new format.   The original has returned to me this morning. 

I did finally find the Insiders link on the other, but that's probably because I'm  a computer geek!

My immediate reacation was that corporate was a bit annoyed with us Insiders and wanted to make it more difficult to find.   Possibly on the way to shutting the site eventually.   It certainly wouldn't be inviting for any new user to find this site.

Kroywen, never thought about it that way... kind of makes sense!  Let's hope that isn't the plan...

Anyone else having issues with signing onto marriott.com today?  Seems I have the "old" site back but can't get logged in for anything.  Says invalid password, though clearly the password works since I'm back here posting

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

This morning I had to re-type my password because the first go was deemed invalid. I just thought it was my early AM typing ability (lack thereof). The second attempt worked, so I still don't know if it was me or the site.

erc Platinum

I have tried to sign in five different times (within a 15 minute period) and got five different screens - none of which allowed me to access my account (Reservations, points etc). I called plat line to confirm my points and reservations were still there and yes they were and they informed me they had gotten several similar calls (a few mentioned it on flyertalk as well). I even went with what I got - book a room and when I entered the info I was just taken to a blank grey screen.

So, seeing this post I signed in and it took me directly to my Marriott account rather than straight to Insiders as it had thousands of times before. After banging around the new and improved Marriott site (which I'll probably never see again) for 3 or 4 minutes I finally found Insiders and here I am. I'm sure you won't hear from me again, because I'll  never hit the same combination of events (it's like when you forget whether the dead bolt is locked or not!).  I'm with you guys in spirit, if nothing else.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Those are like the problems I've been having.  Sometimes I get screens that don't even have a place to sign in.  So exasperating and then some people answer that they've had NO problems.  Why even go to a sight that expresses the problems people are having if you're not having any? 

PSU Fan Platinum 2 Reviews

I was connected to the "new" site for about five days, but am relieved to say that I'm back to the oldie but goodie. I have nothing positive to say about the new design except frustration and confusion. I also found it interesting that there was no link to insiders!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I'm finding all kinds of links lacking on it.  Even "Sign in" from certain screens, like when we "purchase / sign in for" the enhanced speed internet.  I don't sign up for the regular internet since the $4.95 is free to our room.  Quite a few other links missing, too.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

HELP!?!?!?!?  I'm having a Twilight Zone experience with the new website.

I'm trying to book (investigate, compare) a room in New York City, and the web page is fighting me tooth and nail.  It keeps giving me (all of) New York - egads - or Brooklyn (although that's not what I typed in)....  Here's what it's giving me (sometimes), in addition to suggesting hotels in Albany, etc....

These are search results for , New York, USA

Search instead for:
    New York, New York, USA [uh, wait, that WAS my search term]

p.s. I know I'm a geezer, but I'm no Luddite, and I think I've established my NYC hotel street cred - NYC - Market Pricing - argh,this is maddening!!!! 

p.p.s. For whatever reason, by entering New York - Carnegie Hall - I got a normal search result (or at least what I wanted).  But I've got to admit, I can't remember using Carnegie Hall as my primary point of reference in NYC since the 1960's... [Will most Americans, let alone foreign travelers, intuit that entering Carnegie Hall makes more sense than New York City as a search term???].

Alas...

seand Platinum

Just sent this to the fools at Marriott  -even that was a mystery to figure out how. "Your new web site design is the worst change I have ever seen. It is baffling to use, the search results list hotels without showing rates, the displayed reservation form is at best tricky to figure out. WHO IS WATCHING THE STORE. WHO IS CHECKING TO SEE IF INDEED A REAL USER CAN NAVIGATE AND MAKE DECISIONS IN AN INTELLIGENT AND EFFICIENT WAY. NO ONE, THAT IS WHO. Am I angry - you bet. And I am Platinum Elite with a ton of internet experience. Y O U have destroyed our on-line experience by being just TOO CLEVER. Amazingly lousy decisions in all respects."

AMAZINGLY USELESS DESIGN THAT WAS ONCE A PLEASURE TO USE.

ansaa Member

Hi seand,

We can definitely see how frustrating this all may be. It is always a transition when websites change, but we will do our best to continue to communicate with the tech team and our Insiders. I will certainly be sure to send this message along to them from our side as well. As soon as I hear any information, I will let all of you know!

There are many web site changes that make it less desirable for us to use it.  We are the users and I think they should try to please us.  I don't see that happening.  I would like to see a place for use to voice what we don't like about the site and then see action on a least some of them  There were things that we did want improved and those have not happened.  I am not sure who decides what they do but don't think they look to us, the users.

An example of the MI site:  we didn't want to see all the reviews.  We have been given a way to exclude them.  I have to click on that link too many times.  It would be better for me, and I think most others, if when we click activity, it automatically excludes the reviews.  There is a link to see them if we choose.

I hate clicking the mouse.  I think they should minimize these for us.

ansaa Member

Thank you for the suggestions, californian. I have shared all your ideas with the greater team.Stay tuned for more information!

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

I don't mind it, but still would like to see Lifetime Points there somewhere, alongside Lifetime Nights, maybe under the "Account Overview" link?

Agreed, not sure why the lifetime points issue cannot be resolved, it's not like this is "top secret" data or maybe it is!!