6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2013 4:17 PM by eb5147 RSS

Any ideas for less expensive stay in Mid-town Manhattan in Dec?

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We are taking my mother-in-law to NYC for a show, dinner and a stay between Christmas and New Years, and need a few rooms.  Unfortunately, I am unable to find anything in that neighborhood for under $350 + taxes, etc. and that is with a AAA discount.  We are going to Radio City, Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue for some shopping, etc., so we'd want to stay close by.  I have stayed in that area numerous times, but not during this week.  It is a good $100-150/night more.

I would use points or a certificate but all my points are committed to Rome in the spring and the certs are Cat 5 or less - which does not exist here.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York City, New York, USA
  • Re: Any ideas for less expensive stay in Mid-town Manhattan in Dec?
    erc Platinum

Not knowing your specific dates, I would suggest consider the following ideas - just to get you brainstorming, essentially a 'mix and match' strategy;

Say for example 12/26 - 12/28  Some excellent AAA rates at SpringHill - $224, Res Inn $208 (Gem's and my favorite), Marriott East Side (tef's) $187

then for Sunday 12/29, use  your mom's senior discount for a $254 Upper East Side CY (being plat gets you little there anyway, and as we've seen $$$ is worth more than points)

Etc etc - good luck   Rock on Rockettes

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Thanks, ERC.  Unfortunately, I checked and could not find a Springhill in Manhattan or at least one available on the 27th.  Also, the two Residence Inns I found, with AAA discount, were 'from' $484 and $379 respectively.  Looks like there are a few other responses I will check, as well.

Thanks again.  Odds are I am not searching in the right place.

erc Platinum

Wow, you are correct - no listing at all for SpringHill on for 12/27 by itself. (or 12/27-29) You can get the $224 rate 12/26-28  or 12/26-29. Another one of the pricing surprises within our pal the Marriott Matrix. Good luck - stay at it, it's there. But definitely follow ssindc's advice, book something half way reasonable (and cancellable) and watch it like a hawk. Best wishes.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I get some good price quotes from tourism sites, like Texas Tourism and TN.

Myrtle Beach has it's own site that my son's friend in SC uses quite a bit.

http://www.myrtlebeachresorts.com/vacation-deals/?07+SBTGp5J8TEfWfQouV1tmk1uN/SJY3

NY might even have one.  You might check to see.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

psudad - you're pushing my buttons - this is one of my favorite topics - but, rather than reinvent the wheel, let me suggest you check this out: NYC - Market Pricing  [and it's worth scrolling through - there lots of good information in there] ...  My only high-level advice here is: act like a consumer (research, research, research), be flexible (don't get your heart set on a particular property), be patient (it's worth reserving rooms now, at the best rate you can get, with an eye towards cancelling and re-booking as rates fluctuate), and don't give up too early (my money says you'll beat the current rates at least twice if you're willing to cancel and re-book between now and then)!!!!  GOOD LUCK!!!!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

psudad,

The least expensive Marriott property in the area I could find between Christmas and New Years is the Carleton Autograph Hotel which offers a rate of AAA rate of $269 between Dec 26th & 30th.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nyccl-carlton-hotel-autograph-collection/

If you want to also consider Non-Marriott properties you may want to try using the Google Hotel tool:  http://google.com/hotels

Search for Manhattan, NY with the desired dates and then on the Map Graphic you can choose which area of Manhattan you would like to stay in. I found quite a few listings between $161 and $300 for the same dates (12/26-12/30) for both independent and brand name hotels in the Midtown/Times Square District.

Good Luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...