10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2015 4:47 PM by brightlybob RSS

Platinum member with question on free breakfast

jeffnager Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Recently received correspondence via mail that in full service properties, platinum members will receive free breakfast for two.  This is a great addition but leads to a question.  I was recently staying at a Courtyard and after talking to front desk manager, realized that this is the only brand in the Marriott system I believe that doesn't offer a free breakfast to all its guests (like Residence or Fairfield) or through this new program.  Was surprised to see that Courtyard was left out especialy with all the dollars recently spent across the chain to upgrade the look and image.  Not a complaint but more surprising.  As I travel to a lot of smaller markets, full service properties are not always available.

Any idea why Courtyard was left out?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum member with question on free breakfast
    texasvoyager Platinum 30 Reviews

As a long time Platinum Premier and now Lifetime, I have long wondered the same thing and never been given a straight answer.  It seems to be at the discretion of each property.  About half the Courtyards I stay at will honor the breakfast but only if directly asked.  It may have to do with their target clientele being the business travelers who are often on per diem for meals.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

CYs were left out as most now have "Bistro" redesigns and no more free coffee in the lobby - - - > forcing the guest to go to Starbucks to buy their coffee or use the CY restaurant to get coffee. $$$ is the driver, no doubt.

wtraveler Platinum

I was as surprised that CYs are not trying to keep up with the rest of Marriott's hotels.  I am a Platinum Elite member and on my way to be it for life, so I guess unless I absolutely CAN NOT find another Marriott's property around then I'd stay with CY, other than that they won't get my business from now on.  It's sad because the littlest hotels (other than Marriotts) are now offering free breakfast and CY can't afford to do that?  This makes a bad mark on Marriott's overall outstanding picture.

ricardiac Platinum 1 Reviews

Lifetime Platinum member here, and it seems some 2 years since the last post on this thread.  I booked Courtyard San Diego and was surprised with the lack of a lounge and free breakfast.  Its been a while since I was in a CY, and last memory was both CY in Hong Kong had lounge and free breakfast, so must just be in the western hemi its not offered.  I agree that its tarnishes the CY brand when most other Marriott Brands offer free breakfast and CY chooses not to.

Its a shame because it will certainly put CY near the bottom of the Marriott Brands list when booking future stays.

ericwynn Platinum

Each hotel chain has its unique quirks. As you become more experienced, you understand that their are these quirks in the system and you learn to adjust for them. CY does not offer breakfast. A Fairfield Inn does. Go figure....

However, in very competitive markets I have found some CY will offer their Platinum Quests a free breakfast. But, again, in these cases  the hotel manager is working hard to build a loyal following.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Agree with all of you . I stay at a courtyard in mass due to proximity to the office. I get either something from the little store or a free coffee in the morning but notjing else

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

ONe more comment . Since this has been discussed many times on this forum the marroitt management level certainly knows the complaints but continues the practice hopefully for a good reason

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

The thing that puzzles me about Courtyard is that I thought it was originally more of a "business traveler's" hotel and you would think if that is the case, they would offer the business traveler at minimum a free breakfast if they are Gold or Platinum.

Obviously my assumption that it was for "business travelers" was either wrong or has changed to be geared more towards a different clientele....

Now I just book a RI or look for a "lower priced" Marriott while not being too extravagant with the spend on my business trip.  Depending upon where you are, you can get a great rate a a full service Marriott and enjoy the "perks" of being a Platinum member......

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Maybe it's focussing on business travellers who don't travel very much and have an expense account to pay for coffees and breakfast

Im as confused as you but Courtyard recently opened its 1000th hotel and continually records ever increasing Revpar and occupation rates, so I guess those here and at Flyertalk, who likewise question the "by business for business"  tagline, seem to be mistaken.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Dick Cavett used to do ads for CY saying that CY was designed by business travelers for business travelers.  Perhaps they have changed their minds.  In truth, breakfast is the primary reason  that I seldom stay at CY, anymore.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...