29 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2013 3:13 PM by skiadcock Branched from an earlier discussion. Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Parking charges at Courtyard

jlcrabtree Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm seeing downgrades all around for Platinum members and others as well. They're just sucking the value out of Plat membership. I used to get a little bag with a miniature bottle of water and some halloween candy on arrival and now even that's gone. At ONE CY, I get a free VIP drink coupon per day and comped parking. The comp only helps me when I'm traveling for pleasure, but I want to point out that it's a $15 perk per day, not to be taken lightly. This is at the hotel's discretion, not Marriott's. As Platinum goodies shrink I wonder what the casual traveler has to put up with?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Parking charges at Courtyard
    eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Where is the CY that charges for parking?  I know that CY College Park/ Atlanta, GA Airport does.  Where are there others?  Any that aren't near airports?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

The Courtyard Old Town San Diego charges $15/day for parking. They currently comp Plat members but for how long? It's turning into a cheesy hotel.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

eb -- the CY in the Old Market area of Omaha charges for parking also.

Thanks, nuhusker.

Now, THAT is another reason for me to not stay there.

I can see their charging if people were using their lot for parking while they commuted or something, but if that's the case, I would think ALL customers would be comped for the parking.  Instead, parking at CY at the Atlanta, GA Airport on Sullivan was actually giving that as a special for elites.  I couldn't believe the audacity.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Uh folks  - THIS thread is about the Platinum arrival gift downgrade, not about parking fees at various CYs.  Someone might want to start a separate thread re; CYs/parking.

I think the best thing to do is to let GMs know one's opinion of the Plat arrival gift downgrade, let MR CS know, let Marriott HQ know.

Cheers.

Go back and read the first post. It opened the door to a discussion of downgrades of plat member benefits in general.

Actually I wrote the first post & it was specific to the Platinum arrival downgrade, not Plat member benefits in general.

If someone wants to start a separate thread re: CYs that charge parking & what they charge, I would indeed gently suggest they start a new thread re: that so as not to dilute this thread - which is about Platinum arrival downgrade.  I know of very few CYs that offered free parking as part of the Plat amenity option, so which CY is charging how much isn't really relevant to the Plat arrival downgrade topic.  FWIW - if someone is going to complain about CY parking prices, I think they should add to the complaint not getting points for it when it's charged to the room   But again, that's a dif topic.

We know that Insiders is following this thread because Michelle has responded on it re: specific questions and/or complaints re: the new policy.  If it sidetracks to CY parking in general, they won't bother following it for long.

Cheers.

Seriously...with some of the nonsense on this message board and you want to become the Marriott Insiders police over this?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

, I'll have to second that.

We don't need police we need Marriott michellel2 and NathalieF listening and I believe they clearly they hear us, but are they really listening?  Really??  This is not a new thread by any means of the imagination.

Marriott Associate Member

Right here, listening away...  Really really.  You don't like the voucher and you don't like CY.  Got it.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

So here's what I think needs to happen:

At the discussion point starting with reply: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/14243 and everything nested under it, a branch needs to be done again to another discussion topic titled "New Platinum Arrival Gift is a Downgrade, Continued".

Can you please do this, NathalieF, or else IAHFLYR, since it's beginning with your reply that I'm suggesting we branch this out, perhaps you can do the branch (I believe the point at which a branch can be done, can only be done by the person who originated the post or reply at the point of branching.)

Thanks.

As the one who started the thread to discuss a specific topic - the downgrade of the Platinum arrival gift, yes I would like the focus to stay on the actual topic.  I'm not sure how that translates into my being Marriott Insiders police.

If someone has (more) complaints re: CY, then it's not hard to start a thread re: that so that like-minded people can post in the CY thread.  Just as like-minded people who are upset about the Platinum arrival downgrade can post here re: it & not have to wade through posts that aren't relevant/have no interest to them because they don't pertain to the actual topic.

Cheers.

Unfortunately, the Community Manager did just that.  Branched the unrelated CY portion of the Platinum downgrade discussion to a new discussion thread.  Unfortunately, the most important (arguably) comment regarding the Platinum gift downgrade came over with it, as it was nested within the CY parking comments.  It would seem that we do need to mind our comments better, so this branching and taking of pertinent posts with it doesn't happen.

Hmmph! 

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

And how does one always know when they are off topic?  When parking is listed as an Elite offer for a hotel, is it not a downgrade at other times?  And if someone mentions something that someone else would like to know a simple answer to, does that mean they can't ask that simple question?

Aren't all of these statements about what goes under downgrade, what goes under parking, starting another topic to take care of the misplaced topics, and even watching our topic more closely all posts that are off topic?

WHo are you addressing your question to?  Surely not me I hope.

General question as to how to stay on topic when it's so easy to veer off.

The first post here by jlc was about all declining rewards, wasn't it?  Yet parking was the only topic picked out.

Pluto, I gather that you were offended for some reason.  That wasn't my intent.  You're one of my favs.

I was addressing the fact that it's hard not to go off topic.  Even skia, who was voicing the loudest malcontent over the supposed off topic, went off topic to tell about his broken foot, didn't he?  I don't think anyone wanted to object to that post.  It was a natural flow of conversation, so to "police" (can't think of the right word right now) the natural flow of things actually stifles the free speech that's I thought was wanted here.

And then to try to fix it, this thread was started which actually took away some of the on topic posts and made them off topic.

So saying, I feel that my ideas are no longer wanted or desired because my answers might wander elsewhere from time to time.

I feel that this is adios right now.

eb, first police is the correct word.  Next, I say post what you want, on topic or not, and let the community manager sort it out.  Trust me, if it's offensive he'll let you know.  Don't worry about it.

Thank you, nuhusker.    Another fav of mine.  My brain isn't working right this a.m.  I called you erc at first and then edited.  I hope YOU'RE enjoying your trip.  It's almost like coming home, isn't it?  Good weather wishes for you.

Actually, I thought of it later.    Censor.  Police is right, too, though.

Hi Eb,

No.  I just didn't have an answer for ya.  I veer off topic all the time.  I thought about it and I can only suggest (at least for myself anyway) to just try to apply a little more self discipline.  I don't really know!  It's a judgement call too, I guess.  As you say, there is sometimes just a natural flow to a conversation where one thing leads to another.

If it's something that is not really relevant to anything, that's one thing, but if the topic veers into something completely unrelated, but includes information that may be important to some folks, then it definitely needs to be continued in a separate conversation (discussion).

An example of the first (off-topic stuff that's not really relevant to anything) might be what we're conversing about right now.  We've digressed into a conversation about 'veering off topic' within the discussion thread about 'parking charges at certain Courtyards.'  Though it may be annoying to some in that they have to wade through this off-topic chit chat about - being off topic(!) - to get to the rest of the 'parking charges at Courtyards' comments, for the most part, we're not talking about having an off-topic conversation about anything of any real importance to travelers that they won't be able to find later when doing a search.  On the other hand, say we're in the thread about 'London Dining,' and someone (me perhaps? ) mentions something about a similar dining experience in Austria, and then a whole comment thread filled with really stellar, valuable and super informative information regarding dining and sightseeing in Austria begins to flow, then ya, that can get quite confusing when one wants to later go back and find that information.  They wouldn't think to look for Austria sightseeing info in the discussion thread titled London Dining.  So maybe they bookmark the London Dining thread because they don't want to lose track of the great off-topic stuff on Austria that's buried in it.  Then next year when they're planning an Austrian vacation, they go back through and see their London bookmark, but don't think to re-read it because they've forgotten that that great stuff about Austria that they read last year was - Oh ya! -  in the London thread.

Further, it can also be exactly as you said.  Some topics are very inter-related to one another.  It can sometimes be difficult to have a "normalized" discussion about something specific on social media.

As far as your ideas being not wanted, don't go there!  I'm with Husker.  Post what's on your mind.  What's related and what isn't is most often at best, subjective anyway.

Hugs for that, Pluto.

I go back and delete more than a few that I deem later to be unnecessary that I've posted, just as I got back and edit my posts lots of times.  Natural proofreader in me, I guess.

You're right.  I thought about the fact that even this off topic topic is off topic. 

P.S.:  (Editing again)  Some of those really do need to be in a separate and searchable thread.

Off-topic to CY parking

pluto77, you basically summarized my concern & with an excellent example.  The reason I wanted the platinum arrival downgrade thread to stay on that topic is that those who would be interested in the arrival downgrade would most likely want to follow that & might not give too patooties about CY parking pricing across the US, & thus stop reading the downgrade thread/providing feedback if it sidetracked too far.  And those who might be interested in CY parking pricing across the US wouldn't necessarily think to look for details of such on a Platinum amenity gift thread, so their feedback would be lost.   Obviously topics are somewhat organic & posts can stray from the original topic, but to me if a thread gets so sidetracked that the original premise/point is lost, then splitting it as the community manager did makes the most sense so that those who are interested in (whatever) the topic is can follow the one of interest.

On-topic to CY parking:

I stayed at a CY in downtown Chicago last year on a weekend rate of high $70s - the parking was $42 & no points for the parking spend.

Cheers.

"As the one who started the thread to discuss a specific topic - the downgrade of the Platinum arrival gift, yes I would like the focus to stay on the actual topic.  I'm not sure how that translates into my being Marriott Insiders police."  by skiadock

(There might be more than one post here that should be moved back to the original thread.)

Now, Michellel, this one really belongs in the original thread if it didn't stay there, and deleted from this thread since this thread is about parking.    (Then this post needs deleted if and when that one is deleted.)     

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

GEEZ - next thing you know the CYs will be charging you for coffee! - oops, they already thought of that!