3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2013 10:11 AM by foxglove RSS

Proper backpack to wear while traveling in Europe

sidbaby1936 Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I will be in Europe for my honeymoon in Oct. Will be doing alot of hiking (Austria,Germany and France) and was wondering what was the best and appropriate back pack to buy/use for both backpacking and as a carryon!

What something practical and durable.

Any and all suggestions will greatly be appreciated

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Proper backpack to wear while traveling in Europe
    foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Hi, Sid. You didn't specify whether you were planning day treks or extended, multi-day excursions, but if you're talking about day hikes, you might want to take a look at Patagonia's Chacabuco Pack 32L backpack. My wife and I bought a couple for a trip to Santa Fe a couple of years ago, and we love them. They served as our carry-ons and worked perfectly for day-long hikes. (We've since used them for overnighters as well.) It will accommodate a 17-inch laptop or, in the absence of the computer, a 2 liter hydration bladder--tube port is included. Lots of pockets, shock cords, waist belt and sternum strap. Size is 21Hx12Wx11D, and it holds way more than it would first appear. Comes in lots of colors, too.

I will say, though, that looking at reviews on various sites, there is a very small minority who find it uncomfortable. But I suspect that's mostly due to the reviewer's build or poorly weighted packing--most people love it as much as we do. One of the outdoors outfitters here let us take one home over a weekend to try it out. We went back that Monday and bought two. See if you can get someone to let you "test drive" any pack before you by. And congratulations!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sidbaby1936 Gold 3 Reviews

foxglove,

thanks for your reply and info!!!

We will be taking/doing just day tours, checked out the Patagonia online...going to see if a local sports store carries them.

Looks like something that would be very practical for our wants and needs.

thanks once again

Brian

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Sid,

You're welcome. If you can't find it locally (or the dealer won't let you try it out, which would be a deal-killer for me), Patagonia has a very good return policy. Over the years, we've had to return an item or two, including a heavy jacket that upon wearing it a couple of times proved way too much for our Georgia winters, and it's always been hassle-free. With a couple of months to go before your travels, you could certainly order something and give it a spin and then decide whether or not to keep it.

BTW, we also have a couple of their sling-style Atom Bags, which we use for cycling. They're great, too, but a lot smaller. For N. Europe in October, you'll probably want space to carry an extra layer or two, rain gear, camera gear, etc. The Chacabuco would give you that. And for us, the 2L hydration capacity came in handy in New Mexico in mid-July. Cheers!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...