9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2013 9:49 PM by rjcolton RSS

Marriott Key Largo Nightmare!

mammothskier Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Continuing saga: I attempted to book a 3 day stay on July 6 at the Marriott Key Largo via internet using points.  The stay requested was for Thursday through Saturday, July 11 through 14.  I was at first denied the use of points for this stay but was allowed to book the same room for cash!  I then called Marriott Customer Relations and spoke with Josh who attempted to negotiate with Sam, the manager of the Key Largo Marriott. 

The manager first stated that he only had a double-room suite available for Saturday night.  We asked him to back up the reservation request by one day to avoid his Saturday conflict.  He responded that “Friday too was totally booked for single rooms”.  I was at the time logged-in to Marriott.com and watched as his site changed the availability of both Saturday and Friday to a slightly higher rate single room at $259/night.  Still no points allowed!

Totally frustrated, I posted a question on this board and received an almost immediate response from Marriott On-line Customer Service suggesting I go ahead and book the three nights available for cash at $259/night and purchase a Marriott Gift Card to cover the cost…even though that increased my points required from 105,000 to 190,000!

I would have posted the entire Marriott chain of emails that followed but they included a statement indicating that the Marriott emails are “private communications-and are prohibited from being disclosed”.

I then went back on-line to book the room per Marriott’s instructions only to find that the manager of the Key Largo Marriott had changed the entire month of July to show only 2 room suites available at $649/night!  This would then cost me 520,000 points for a 3 night stay that should only be 105,000.

This is simply outrageous conduct by a Marriott manager attempting to thwart his own Customer Care suggestion!  I have informed Marriott Corporate that I intend to pursue this matter in the courts as it appears to me that Marriott has committed fraud at the very least and if it is now Marriott policy to misrepresent available rooms on the internet simply to drive the cost up for their customers, perhaps it is time for all Marriott customers to take a hard look at this company and how they treat previously loyal 15 year customers!

Message was edited by: mammothskier Just got off the phone with the manager at Marriott Key Largo...apologies accepted!  we got our room.  Enough people have accessed my blog that I will leave it up for a while longer including the resolution...then take it down.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Key Largo, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort
  • Re: Marriott Key Largo Nightmare!
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

mammothskier,

Thanks for sharing this "Sad" story with up!

Let us know how it all turns out, after your stay!

That is a nice property, but this experience, is pathetic and wrong.  Hope they make it up to you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Key Largo, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort
      rjcolton Member

I Really wish i would have read this review before reserving at this property.  I just checked in an hour ago after a pretty long drive and was immediately greeted with the worst service i have ever encountered at a Marriott.  at check in i requested information on upgrading to a suite and got a quote of $200 higher than published online rate.  Unfortunately Walt was more interested in completing his night audit than assisting me and my family.  After asking him to confirm the price he told me he does not have access to the Marriott reservation system and i should come back in the morning if i want a suite.  Are you kidding me? 

I decided to just check in with our confirmed reservation.  Got to the room and logged into the bank to balance our expenses for the vacation so far to realize that my card was charged for over $200 over our confirmed rate.  I went back down to the office to talk to Walt, who again seemed annoyed that his audit was interrupted.  He then told me that there is a $100 per night incidental authorization.  Really?  That would have been nice to know up front. Oh,  I also,forgot to say that I had already made the first night room deposit when I made the reservation.  I have a confirmation of this reservation and charge.

What  the heck is wrong with this place?   At this point, i think we are going  to check out tomorrow and find another place. As a Gold Starwood Preferred Guest i can honestly say Marriott  needs to step it up to compete for my business In the future.

rjcolton,

Wow, that is not a good situation!

Please let us know how this turns out.  I don't blame you for seeking another place to stay!

Good luck!

rjcolton Member

Well we ended up staying for 2 nights of our 7 nights here in Key Largo before moving on to another facility.  The staff here is simply the worst I have ever encountered which is a shame because the property itself is beautiful - well the beach and the ammenities. 

After our check in debacle and the $100 a night incidental fee - have never seen anything over $50 for an entire stay - the stay just got worse. 

Both Keys to our room were deactivated twice or perhaps the door lock was broken - who knows. 

After the first night, we had left the room around 8 am to head to the lower keys for the day, returned to see the room in the exact same condition we left it in with no towel service, no replenishing of toiletries, no replenishing of coffee, and certainly no cleaning.  That evening around 11 pm around a dozen guests were in the pool/hot tub.  My wife and 3 children were there as well.  Security came into the pool and informed everyone the pool was closing.  My wife was rounding up the children,  the security guard made his way around the pool (about 1 or 2 minutes) and then asked my wife, "Did you hear me Lady?  I said the pool is closed."   The bar staff are the kings of adding the service charge and not informing you to try to get the extra tip.  You know It really is a shame as the property is really really nice.  This place needs a corporate mole to visit this location.  They need to check in during the night audit so they can met with the stellar service provided by Walt. 

I honestly have never been so disappointed in a hotel stay. 

rjcolton,

Thanks for the "Sad" update!

Sounds like a place I will never have to visit on my way to Key West!

Hope the rest of your trip goes a whole lot better!

mammothskier Gold

They did indeed make it up to us!  Not in any great way, but at least we did get our room for points and did have a great visit.  Sam, the customer relations guy did know who we were when we arrived and made certain that we were taken care of!  It is one of those sites that Marriott has increased the points requirements for...and I really think that the increase is unwarranted!  We have stayed for less in the Phuket Marriott which is heads above Key largo!

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

It is amazing how one individual (in this case "Walt") can literally ruin a stay.  Is it a lack of training?  Is this person in the wrong job?  Whatever it is it certainly had a negative effect on you and your family.  Just think if his response would have been different: "I'm very sorry Mr *** but I can't offer you a complimentary upgrade.  Please come back in the morning and talk to so and so.  I will make sure he or she understands your request.  I hope he will be able to help you."  My guess is that you would have felt alot diffferent!  Just my thoughts.

I have only had one incidence in 30 years, so for me, Marriott's reputation for consistently good service is in tact.  That one incidence has caused me not to return to that beautiful resort, primarely because when I wrote to the General Manager I did not receive any reply or response.

mammothskier Gold

Try contacting Sam, the customer relations guy at key Largo...he did indeed restore our confidence in Marriott to some degree.  Like you, we have never in 15 years been treated so badly when this first started.  The internet is actually a great way to spread the word when concerns are raised!  I really believe that Marriott will rue the day that they introduced the Destinations Point System!  It is rapidly destroying the Interval International trade system!

rjcolton Member

You know interestingly we were not asking for a complimentary upgrade.  We were asking for the published online rate.  The rate Walt quoted was $200 higher.  We were willing to spend $300 extra a night,but not $500. 

While the check-in experience was certainly lackluster, the lack of house keeping during the next entire day was a major let down as well.  This is a beach resort.  Towels need to be replenished.  Sand gets everywhere.  Coffee would be nice. 

I don't know, I feel like I am being a major complainer, but I really have never had an experience like this. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...