5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2013 3:57 PM by pluto77 RSS

Ocean Front, Ocean View, Ocean Facing?

dbinoc Member 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am very confused about the room categories at the Wailea Marriott. I booked what was, at the time, called  an "Ocean Front" room, thinking it was the closest to the water. When I look at my reservation now, it says I have an "Ocean Facing" room, which, at first blush, does not sound anywhere near as nice as "Ocean Front." Any help?

Many thanks in advance,

DBinOC

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Wailea - Maui, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
  • Re: Ocean Front, Ocean View, Ocean Facing?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Call the hotel directly and explain to the Manager your reservation situation, ask that you get the room you initially booked.  I've learned to print out my reservation immediately after booking particularly in Hawaii as I got burned really bad by a property and GM a few years ago with a switching of room and even the building we selected.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

dbinoc Member 1 Reviews

Thanks - didn't want to raise a fuss if it was just a matter of changing names on a web site since I made my reservation in March.  I did print out my original reservation - I am hopeful there won't be any issues.

DBinOC

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Ocean Front is definitely the best.  Balcony is fully facing the ocean, straight on.

Ocean Facing is next best, but not as good as Ocean Front.

Beware of Ocean View.  This could mean anything, including: yes, you can see a sliver of the ocean if you lean over (as far as you safely can) the far corner end of the balcony or stand on your tippy toes.  That imho, is not an Ocean View.

Check out this link, which may be helpful in determining the room type you want.

https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/h/hnmmc/hnmmc_pdf/Wailea%20Schematic.pdf

If that link doesn't work, go to this webpage, then click on 'room categories' under 'related documents.'

Hotels Wailea | Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

dbinoc Member 1 Reviews

Great link, pluto77.  I have that bookmarked and the PDF saved so I can print it out. I checked my original confirmation - it is Deluxe Oceanfront, so I at least have that in my pocket should there be any issues.

I am a little curious as why the Marriott system indicates "Ocean Facing" when I now look up my reservation in their system, but "Ocean Facing" isn't even a category on the PDF. <shrug>

Thanks for clearing it up. One way or another, I am confident this will work as intended. Your information was most helpful.

Regards,

DBinOC

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

One thing that many of us have noted is that once you make a reservation, be very careful when changing any attribute of that reservation, as sometimes unwelcome surprises may pop up, such as room type changes or rate changes.  Even when just doing a name change.  Whenever I need to change a reservation, I always call customer service or the reservation line in advance to inquire as to whether or not changing anything about a particular reservation might cause me to loose something already in place (again, like room type or ever the room rate on the original reservation).  Most of the time, the person at the other end has been very helpful in navigating the sometimes risky waters of reservation changes.  Best of luck in getting what you originally reserved, and Iahflyr is really right on about printing out original reservations right after they've been made.  Don't forget to tell us all about your vacation upon your return.  Hope it's a great one!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...