64 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2013 8:34 AM by iahflyr RSS

Houston, Dining!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

IAHFLYR<

Need you help on updating dining places in Houston.  It's been a couple of years since I have been in Houston and really enjoyed the "Classics" of old, but now I am reading about new places that make me want to come back!

Can you or anyone comment on the following?  Please add to the list if you would like!  Here Goes:

Cafe Pondicheri,     2800 Kirby, sounds like a great "Breakfast stop, especially if you like good grits!

Blacksmith,           1018 Westheimer, They serve vietnamese steak and eggs as one of their special dishes.

Reef,                    2600 Travis, supposedly has wonderful seafood, and a karaoke stage as well!

Underbelly,            1100 Westheimer, sounds special, and features local food products and wonderful seafood!

Vieng Thai             6929 Long Point Road, authentic Thai food!

Asia Market,          1010 W. Cavelcade, Ste. D, another Thai "Star" place to dine!

Crawfish and Noodles, 11360 Bellaire Blvd., outstanding Cajun-Vietnamese food!

Haven,                   2502 Algerian Way, New American food!

Hugo's                   1600  Westheimer, upscale Mexican food!

Himalaya Rest.       6652 Southwest Fwy., Pakistani and Indian canteen!

London Sizzler        6690 Southwest Fwy., A wide variety of foods from all over the world!

In closing, most of these places are easily available from The JW on Westheimer!

Enjoy this dishes, and comment or add some more to make your Houston dining experience very memorable!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Houston, Texas, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Houston
Ft. Worth, Texas, USA
  • Re: Houston, Dining!
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I've got just three words on this topic:  House .... Of .... Pies !!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ssindc,

Can you provide details?  Am not familiar with HoP!

Jerrycoin, oh, jerrycoin - thou hast not lived if thou hast not experienced one of the most fundamental of life's joys, that supreme sugar rush of comfort food gratification known to Houstonians (past and present) as The House of Pies !!!  To be clear - the House of Pies is, ahem, well, you pick the term - a dive, a dump, whatever - and, yes, they serve regular food there, but DON'T BOTHER (and don't be distracted) - it's all about the pies!!!!  Where do I begin?

• For me, it all begins with WASHINGTON CHERRY PIE - no, not just any cherry pie, but, but....  And, yes, they have the sugar free cherry pie, but don't take the bait - it's Texas - go whole hog, all in (or go home) !!!! [OK, if you wanna be a real American, and if you're not from Washington, D.C. (remember, what did George chop down?!?!?!?), go ahead and enjoy the APPLE PIE... or, if you want to be contrary, go ahead and have the mind-blowing WILD BLUEBERRY PIE or the STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB pie or, OK, even the ELBERTA PEACH - but try one of 'em...]
        • Then, once you've gotten past the basics - now it's time to get serious - may I (without any guilt or reservation whatsoever) encourage you to sample the BAVARIAN CHOCOLATE BANANA - now we're cookin' with gas - strap in for some died and gone to heaven yumminess!!!!
        • If you're still with me, lemme send you back up to the counter, because it's time to get messy - try either (or both) of the BAYOU GOO or the FRENCH BLACKBOTTOM - yeah, baby, NOW we're talking Texas pie!!!
        • Now, I admit, I'm not a key lime guy, but my friends and relatives swear by their key lime - but don't quote me on that...
        • Finally - and I realize everyone has their favorites - but if you've got one more night in Houston, and your diet is already shot - go back one last time, and ask for the TEXAS PECAN FUDGE, with the vanilla ice cream, and when they ask you if you want the pie heated before they put the ice cream on top, the answer is, unequivocally, yes, please!!!!

For the folks who want more information, just click here - WELCOME TO HOUSE OF PIES-A slice of heaven on earth - but the website can't do the place justice... 

And, yes, it's worth following up with - IAHFLYR- he may have his own personal favorites!!!!

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ssindc,

Wow!

That is a wonderful report, it makes me want to experience HoP a lot!

Having worked and traveling to Houston for 10 years, I never had the chance to enjoy this wonderful place!

Thank-you for this information! 

It's on my list of places to experience!

b.g.dixon Platinum 33 Reviews

Hi Jerry,

Here are a few restaurants off the top of my head:

1)  Mark's on Westheimer

2)  Anthony's in the Galleria area

3)  Beef & Bird or Bird & Beef (I forget which comes first) in the Memorial Area

4)  Brennan's near downtown and Montrose

5)  The Capitol Grill on Westheimer near J.W. Marriott

6) G.G's(Oriental cuisine In the Galleria on Westheimer across from J.W. Marriott

7) Ruth Chris' Steakhouse - near the Galleria on Westheimer (5 min. from J.W. Marriott

b.g.dixon,

Thanks so much for the information!

BTW, is G.G.'s famous for their "Peking Duck"?

I ate at a wonderful place in The Galleria, and had PD, and it was outstanding!  Beef &Bird, has been around for a while and is very good.  You have some great suggestions!

Thanks again!  This is great information!

b.g.dixon Platinum 33 Reviews

Jerrycoin,

They are famous for most anything including great dumplings.

b.g.,

Wow that sounds wonderful!

Nothing like a walk thru the Galleria and then dining at a superb place!

Thanks!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

ssindc hit a home run with it for sure and b.g.dixon a back to back homer with his list.  I will get back to ya with some places we enjoy.  However; the list you posted I've only heard of one or two of the spots as since The Woodlands has opened so many places to dine and my wife no longer has her office in the Galleria area we simply don't make the long drive down there or downtown much, if we do it's a road trip and overnight!

IAHFLYR,

That makes sense!

To get to the Galleria from the Woodlands is a "Trip in itself"!

Houston traffic is really "Incomprehensible".  Look forward to hearing about your favorites in Houston!

jerrycoin,

Ya know the traffic isn't so bad, oh wait that is me riding a bike around here!  Of course one could get involved in Beltway 8, which around here is called our daily "NASCAR RACE"....and with all the toll roads it's better I believe.

Here are some of the spots we enjoy around town and will drive 40 miles to have lunch or dinner, in no specific order just as they come to mind:

http://michelangelosrestaurant.com/ is a very quaint little Italian place on Westheimer very close to downtown, the escargot is so good, Chilean Sea Bass is a nice size piece of fish and saffron sauce, excellent.  I'm not a huge veal guy, but the Scallopini with artichoke heart was very tender and tasty and each time we have pasta it is cooked perfectly.

http://www.ninos-vincents.com/ is another place very close to downtown and Allen Parkway, all three places great.  Vincent Mandola (yes part of the family) has created beautiful courtyard with three different spots, Nino's is our favorite with the second floor having creaky wood floors and great atmosphere all the time.  Have eaten there so many times I can't offer suggestions of what to have, but it is all simply home made Italian food that rocks.

http://carmelosrestaurant.com/menu/ is on Memorial out near Dairy Ashford and a spot the wife and I would often visit when she lived near Town and County.  Always a fun place to go an sit at the very small bar watching the patrons coming and going while enjoying some wine, their incredible meatballs treats I call them (small meatballs they bring out to munch on) and getting ready to share the very fresh and Mediterranean Mussels.  The place is lively yet very romantic, we were such regulars that one evening we pulled up in her car and the valet asked how we are, I told him great if her car wasn't so dirty, only to finish our dinner and discover he had hand washed her car in the parking lot......I almost passed out right on the spot!

http://www.redpepperchineserestaurant.com/redpepperchineserestaurant/ was across Westheimer from my wife's office, very nice clean busy spot for both lunch and dinner, often we'd take it to go while she still lived in that area of town.  They have some of the best Moo Shu Chicken I've had, Ginger Chicken has a nice spice to it that won't knock you out, but the Yu-Shang Scallops is my favorite with the garlic sauce and jicama...WOW!

http://www.miyakosushibar.com/houston_japanese_restaurant.php a sushi favorite always has incredibly fresh fish, very friendly staff and Sushi Chef's as well as a location just off 610 South on Kirby and another on Westheimer outside 610.  The Happy Hours Specials are good and they don't seem to skimp on their offerings either.  We start off with unsalted Edamame and move to the fish and rolls.  Never had a bad bite of food in either of the places, if you like Sushi it is a must.

http://amerigos.com/ is really close to us so we tend to visit more often, Jerry you already know this place and the tasty dishes they prepare.  Happy Hour menu is a meal in itself if you order a couple of items, my favorite is the Shrimp Panko or Ravioli Bites.  I could eat the Snapper every time we go in or just sit down until the day I die and enjoy their Cioppino 24/7.  I may have to go there for lunch today!

We have soooo many great spots to grab a bite it's crazy and fun.  More to come later I'd bet.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I can't believe you didn't mention a single BBQ joint!  Don't mess with Texas!

You know why, it's cuzz my backyard BBQ is best and we are not running a dining establishment.  We seldom eat BBQ out but here you are nuhusker

I'd say try http://www.pappasbbq.com/home/ as they are good from what I hear.

These two are poplar with folks on the north side of town http://www.rudysbbq.com/page/home and http://springcreekbarbeque.com/.

My son tells me however; this is the very best around http://www.corkscrewbbq.com/.  They have lines starting to form 30-45 minutes before they open and sell out every day in a few hours.  This is a joint I will certainly visit.

Then if you go over to Austin, http://franklinbarbecue.com/ is another hot spot and where they line up as well and sell out.

Well, I tried Goodes last time I was in Houston and it was good, but you hit my soft spot when you put Rudy's on the list.  I may have eaten at every one of the Rudy's locations in TX, OK, NM, and I can say without reservation that Rudy's consistently has some of the best BBQ I've ever eaten (outside of Dallas/Ft Worth area that is).  In Dallas we ate at Lockharts and Pecan Lodge last month and both are awesome!

Look, with regard to BBQ, I don't wanna be the king of low-brow here, but I'm always perfectly happy when I return to Goode Company - Goode Company, Houston Texas - Restaurants, Catering, Pecan Pies &amp; More! - I can't say I've tried them all (although some of my friends speak highly of the fish place), since my homing instincts return me to # 1 on Kirby....  Enjoy....

Ahhhh  I totally forgot about Goode Company.  And ssindc try their pies out!

IAHFLYR,

Great list!

For NU's sake, I figured BBQ, was "Standard fare", and everyone has their personalized favorites anyway!

I am not familiar with Goode's, but it does sound like the place to try, next visit!

BBQ in Texas is a fine art...what I can't figure out is with all that great BBQ, why would any Texan eat bait?

NU,

You break me up!

Had to give you a "Correct answer"!

Am just getting into watching "Some Like it Hot", and thinking of all the good BBQ in Texas!

This is a place I enjoyed in Ft. Worth!IMG_0204.JPG

My buddy Dr. Bill at Angelo's was very good!

Location Brand Hotel
                    Ft. Worth, Texas, USA

nuhusker,

LMAO, bait as you call it is awesome and very refreshing on a summer night, heck any time day or night winter or fall, even spring for that matter!   A nice change of pace from the standard cuisine of the area. 

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Trulucks (for best crab legs and carrot cake)

Yep, Trulucks still runs their stone crab all ya can eat special during the season and jerrycoin is well versed on the place, but great catch as I left it off my favorites list.

Hey nuhusker, are crab legs and stone crab considered bait in Texas as well?

Hey, I don't eat nothing that ain't been butchered.

IAHFLYR,

That is pretty expensive "Bait"!

I gave up "Deep sea fishing" years ago!  It was cheaper to just buy my swordfish, blacken it, and dine.  Did not need the "Sunburn" either!

LOL, Jerry, as you know I love cooking at home on the grill. Give me some fish and it will be done to perfection or we all go to Burger King.

Speaking of Houston dining spots, I just remembered this ole joint just off S. Shepherd in River Oaks http://www.backstreetcafe.net/

IAHFLY,

Backsteet, looks very good!

I had a wonderful dinner out at a Country Club, in your area, I think it was "Memorial CC", but not for sure.  It was a wonderful meal!

jerrycoin,

Check out some of these joints, all have been IAHFLYR tested!!!!

http://www.corellis.com/

http://www.lupetortilla.com/

http://www.cafeadobe.com/

http://www.canyoncafe.com/texgalleria.htm

http://www.cavatoreitalianrestaurant.com/ could be one of the best in Houston, and the best decor for sure

http://becksprime.com/ this is a great place, but Jerry not the spot you are thinking of up here in The Woodlands, even though we have one.  If Memorial Park Golf Course it is Beck's for sure, if up here and The Woodlands Resort and Conference place years back it was Spartilo's,...long gone but come visit us!!!  http://www.woodlandsresort.com/

Hope this has helped you decide we need to dine soon!!

IAHFLYR,

Thanks for the suggestions!

The only place I am familiar with is Canyon Cafe!  We have one in St. Louis, and I was there the night they opened in 1995.  It is a popular spot next to Saks and Neiman Marcus (AKA, Needless Mark-up).

I love the "Woodlands Area" and will look forward to my next trip to Houston!

You can get your room at the Waterway hotel or just tell me in advance and stay here, we offer no points/nights or free breakfast certs, but will provide a great spot for you and Mrs. Coin to hunker down and enjoy the finer spots in north Hosuton!

IAHFLYR,

Thank-you for a wonderful invitation!  I will take you up on the dinner part, but never stay at others homes, not even my Mothers and Brothers.  Mrs. Coin and I always get a 2 BR suite at RI, and love the space.  She has never been to Texas, and I am planning on coming down in Winter.

Do you remember Remington's down on Westheimer, just East of 610?  I was in there on night, staying at The Marriott on Post Oak, and they had a "Lingerie" Show.  I have never seen anything like that since!

Texas is wonderful, Viva la Texas!

I don't recall Remington's, but I can imagine the show was totally Texas!

IAHFLYR,

Remingtons was just East of 610 on Westheimer!  It sit right behind The Grand Hotel (If it's still there).

For "Happy Hour", they always had some interesting events!

How on earth could I have forgotten one of our favorite Italian spots just off 610 North, http://www.cavatoreitalianrestaurant.com/.

Old wood floors, the aroma of the family kitchen in Italy with a nice Italian music being played on the piano and then you order a nice appetizer of Escargot or  and my personal favorite pasta dish Capelli D'Angelo Con Pollo......be ready for some food to take home!

Cavatore is reasonably priced for Houston, fun atmosphere and great food.

Yes,

This is a place I had dinner, and it was wonderful!

We often talk about Ninfa's and http://www.ninfas.com/ here in town as you know jerrycoin, but it is tough to beat the food at Cadillac Bar http://www.cadillacbar.com/.  The favorite Cadillac Bar is quite a long drive across town to http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/ so it is a Saturday or Sunday road trip, but sitting at the bar next to the water is always fun, a couple of rita's and you need to have some chips, salsa and then grilled fajita's.  Get them to grill the beef and chicken in lime juice rather than butter, oh the flavors of the spices they put in the beef and chicken stand out so nice without being taken over with the butter taste.  After eating we have to wander the boardwalk to get ready for the hour drive back home or stay the night somewhere. 

Then there is a spot we ride our bicycles to in The Woodlands http://kentrathbun.com/jaspers/thewoodlands/ particularly for happy hour http://kentrathbun.com/file/4502/JaspersTheWoodlandsHappyHourNew%20Spring%202013.pdf and sit on the patio while people watching.  The lettuce wraps are excellent and one reason I'll never eat them again in P.F. Chang's, Smoke Salmon Croquettes out of this world, the Spinach Artichoke Dip is not very good for you however; your pallet will thank you for tasting it and the Hummus I can make a meal of alone if you like red peppers.  The wife stumbled onto a fresh squeezed grapefruit martini one evening that she gets each time we visit Jasper's, that always makes for a fun bike ride home!

IAHFLYR,

Glad you mentioned Ninfa's!

On my first trip to Houston in 1980 I was working at 610 and San Felipe.  The controller for the company asked me if I would go to lunch with him.  He took me to Ninfa's and ordered a "Pitcher" of Margarita's for EACH of us!  Welcome to Texas, I thought!  I don't think I had ever had a drink at lunch prior to that day.  Wow, I was feeling "No pain", the rest of the day!  It was really a wonderful place to dine, and I think it was the original.  I think it was up off of Memorial Drive.  The other place was "Otto's" BBQ, and they really had great food as well.  It was always so crowded we had to eat at in the small bar!

Have not been to Cadillac Bar, but it sure sounds and looks great!  People in Houston really like their "Happy Hours", and if I had to sit in that traffic all the time, I can see why!

I enjoyed Ninfa's on Navigation the last time I was in town!  It's a madhouse, but it's a personal favorite (and, no doubt, part of that is nostalgia)....

ssindc,

Is Ninfa's still open?

It was a wonderful place to dine!

jerrycoin - I ate there just a few months ago - the place was packed, long waits, etc...

ssindc,

Thanks!

That is the place I will go on my next visit.

Taco's El Cabon, for sure!

Jerry,

Friend of mine told me over the weekend of an Italian place off Westheimer called Da Marco.  Said it as the best Italian food this side of NYC or Chicago he's had.  Have you ever been there for while you've been in town?

http://www.damarcohouston.com/#

IAHFLYR,

Yes, I have been to DeMarco's!

Seemed to me to be in a small shopping center off the main street!

Very authentic and rustic Italian inside!

Thanks for the memories!

jerrycoin,

Remembering back years ago, did you ever eat at Brady's Landing on the ship channel?  http://www.bradyslandingrestaurant.com/bradyslanding/default.aspx

They have been famous for decades as well as the little more casual spot Shanghai Red's that was connected to them.  Loved both but Shanghai's was much more quaint, cozy and fun.

Might the Shanghai Red's in Marina del Rey, CA the same owners?

IAHFLYR,

Yes, I forgot about the wonderful time there and the good food!

We would always leave the Marriott on Post Oak and find places like that.

Thanks for the memories!

erc Platinum

IAHFLYR

Man, between Bagliani's and Houston dining, you've been like my own personal Bob Hope this week. Back in the day, when I lived in Katy (no, I did not give Roger those shots) and use to take the I-10, I dined at several of these spots mentioned, including the lovely Brady's. The Texans taught me how to suck a crawfish head and I used to get my cajun fix at Ninfa's Atchafalaya (don't know if it was the same as the New Orleans one, but I loved it). Good stuff.

erc,

Yep, we had a couple Atchafalay's around but they have been gone for about 10 years I'd guess, the one up north in Spring on I-45 never seemed overly busy but the food was outstanding.

You want more, I'll think of more I hope anyway!

Oh, just thought of a real oldie, Ruggles Grill on Westheimer just inside Montrose........now that was a fantastic joint with a great atmosphere and crazy good food.  It as pretty much destroyed during Hurricane Ike and never re-opened.  They also had a small little establishment when Minute Maid Park (then Enron Field) first opened that was near the outfield bleachers. 

You guys are great!

Between erc, and IAHFLYR, you make me real hungry for great Houston food!

jerrycoin,

How about Backstreet Cafe just outside River Oaks, did you ever get to enjoy their backyard for brunch or dinner?  http://www.backstreetcafe.net/

It's a great spot on Shepherd Dr. that has wonderful steamed mussels to start and then dive into something I love even though it is not the most healthy of selections, grilled shrimp and stone ground cheese grits!!!! !YUMMMMO

IAHFLYR,

That "Backstreet Cafe", looks great!

Have never been there, but will have to try is on the next trip~

Thanks!

jerrycoin,

After all this talk about dining in Houston, it got me thinking about a trip across town.  So we'll be staying at the JW Galleria for a night this weekend to enjoy a few spots for appetizers and wine, all within walking distance.  Then Mrs. IAHFLYR reminded me of a spot we frequented years ago http://crapittos.com/ so we'll definitely be walking over there as well as Truluck's for some oysters to start the late afternoon/ early evening!

I'll be sure and toast Mr. Coin in the lobby bar at the hotel before we start our trek!

IAHFLYR,

Enjoy the place, and I will appreciate the toast!

I am enjoying watching the "Godfather" movies tonight, and wish you the very best!

On our little excursion into town this weekend we ended up at Canyon Cafe for a glass of wine, then off to Sullivan's for Seared Ahi in a Wasabi Sauce that was outstanding, then we stumbled upon http://www.seasons52.com/about_us.asp.  It is a lively spot with a nice wine selection and yummy appetizers.  We opted for the Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli that was just amazing, then a Grilled Garlic Pesto Chicken Flatbread that rivals any I've ever had, all while enjoying a bottle of King Estates Pinot Gris.  Seasons 52 is new to the Houston market so it was a nice spot to discover, much better than the first time we visited a Seasons 52 in Altamonte Springs, Fl.

jerrycoin,

I just ran across this on the travel channel.....Blast and Cast on Bizarre Foods America!! 

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/bizarre-foods/episodes/houston-blast-and-cast

You might find some of these joints very fun, I will visit a few in the coming months for sure.

IAHFLYR,

What a show!  I really have a hard time watching it!

Houston dishes are way more wonderful than, "Steer Head or Duck organs in dirty rice"!

Thanks for sharing!

jerrycoin,

We just came back from the first Morton's Grille in the country that has opened in The Woodlands.  On their third night we went into the place to find a very lively atmosphere and many happy patrons.  This spot will be around for the rest of time.....we love our Happy Hours in The Woodlands and their menu for Happy Hour is great with very reasonable prices.  http://blog.chron.com/foodchronicles/2013/08/mortons-opens-spinoff-mortons-grille-in-woodlands/

Our appetizer was veal mozzarella meatballs with marinara sauce that was fabulous with five or so good sized meatballs we could only have a beef steak tomato salad with Morton's own blu cheese dressing.....WOW!!!  Again, very reasonable prices.

The wine list is extensive yet wine by the glass was also a large list of nicely priced wines from different parts of the world and we enjoyed a few glasses.  Tilman Fertitta the famous owner of many restaurants and a resident of Houston was in the place looking around to make sure it was up to their standards then have dinner, and was very approachable and friendly.  Before I knew it my wife was over chatting with him as she knows his cousin well so they enjoyed about a five minute conversation and she said he was just delightful to be around.

If you are in The Woodlands area it is a must, the food is great, the prices are not as crazy as Morton's Restaurants and the location is easy to find and get parking.  Come in MI, visit the joint!

IAHFLYR,

Bacon Fat Braised Ribs with Matchstick fries and Texas-Style "Soppin' Sauce", looks great!

This is a wonderful looking place to dine, and the prices sound very reasonable.

Glad you had a great time, hope they get one here in STL.  We have a Morton's here, but I have never been.  It has a "Stuffy" reputation, as the article indicates.  This new concept really does have some appeal.

Thanks for letting us know about this.  It looks like a great place to visit while in The Woodlands area!

The couple next to us at the bar had the tuna taco's that looked crazy good, I think they ended up having two orders of them.....I say try something else it all looked excellent and the service was also very prompt and friendly.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...