14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2013 8:45 PM by lakeshore RSS

CFCA-Does anyone sponsor a child or aged person?

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Insiders!

When our first child was 2 months old, my husband and I decided to sponsor a baby boy through CFCA. Over the years we have written back and forth with his mother, sister, aunt, and then, when he was old enough, him :) hearing about his life, sharing our life with him, sending photos and watching him grow. Now, after 12 years, we are taking our 3 sons to meet him and his family in Costa Rica, where they live. We are thrilled! This is a trip we have been wanting to make happen for a very long time, and it is hard to believe that it will really be happening, and soon! We feel so blessed to get to meet him and his family!

I was just curious to know if any other Insiders have sponsored someone through CFCA, and if so, have you ever gotten to meet them?

Thanks so much!

Lakeshore

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Herradura, Costa Rica Marriott Hotels & Resorts Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Costa Rica
  • Re: Does anyone sponsor a child or aged person through CFCA?
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

lakeshore,

Although I haven't sponsored a child I want to congratulate you and your husband on making the effort to give a little one a better chance at a good life. It's very admirable and a wonderful gesture. I hope you will let us know about the visit.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Ditto tef's comments.

Tef and nuhusker, you are so kind, although we do not deserve praise. It has been a joy for us, and worth the small donation we give each month. And, something like 93% of all money given to CFCA goes directly to the sponsored pepole, so we know our money  used in the absolute best way. They really focus on nurturing the dignity of each person, providing their most basic needs-food, medical, school, shelter, etc, and encourage letter writing to show them that they have support from others,and that they have hope for their future. Also, sponsoring an aged person who has lived a very hard, poverty stricken life is so beautiful because they know someone cares and they will have the care they need  until the end of their life. We feel very honored to be part of this organization. On our trip, not only will we get to meet our little guy and his family, we will also get to meet the selfless Costa Rica CFCA staff, so we are very excited! We have photos of our little guy(one sent to us each year) from when he was a baby until now- he is 13 years old....we can't wait to give him big hugs in person!!!

• Re: CFCA-Does anyone sponsor a child or aged person?
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I sponsor 2 girls, one in Honduras and the other in Bangledesh, as this is the only way poor girls in many countries will be educated and have a better life, and I do plan to sponsor more.

That is fantastic, GemPrincess! How wonderful! how long have you been sponsoring? it is amazing how just a small amount of money can make such a big difference in a person's life!  You are a blessing to those girls! I am sure after this trip we will be sponsoring more, too.

Have you ever gone on a mission awareness trip to meet them? We have been wanting to go for so long, but the timing just never seemed to work out.

I will be sure to let you know how it goes! Take care!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I figure for all the money spent on traveling to visit, instead I could spend it sponsoring other kids and charities.

Yes, I understand. So much money can go a long way to help others. That is why I like the option of the individual trip/meeting. With frequent flier miles and Marriott reward points, it can be a win win if possible. And the money we would have used can go to support CFCA and other charities.

Does anyone else out there sponsor a child or elderly person?

Sorry to say that I don't, but my charity of choice is Wounded Warrior Project.

Nuhusker, no need to be sorry,  your generous giving to Wounded Warrior Project is a blessing! Thank you so much for sharing. And giving!

The reason I asked  specifically about CFCA was the travel aspect associated with it. I was just curious to know if any others had ever experienced it. But how great to learn about another good cause.

As for my post...I truly wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad...that was not my intention. I am sorry if I did...guess my enthusiasm for our upcoming trip got the best of me.

No problem here.  I'm just sorry to say that I haven't given to this cause especially after hearing the touching experiences from you and GP.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Lakeshore, I have wanted to sponsor a child for a while now, but always put it aside.  There are so many agencies it was difficult to decide upon one.  After reading your post, I researched CFCA and they sound truly professional and wonderful.  This afternoon I signed on and am now a sponsor of a 7 year old boy in Honduras!  Thank you for your post, it certainly made an impact on me!!

Oh my goodness, Muppetwrangler, what wonderful news to hear! What a blessing you will be for your 7 year old from Honduras, and vice versa! You soon will see how exciting it is to receive a letter from him! And, CFCA makes it so easy to write to him, too. You can even do it online. We do it both ways.

Doesn't  CFCA have a great website? It is really neat how you can choose a child or aging person...by country, by age, even name...and with a photo for you to see, too.  And there is so much info on the entire organization. The made a movie called, "Rise to Dream" (I think) a few years ago. We have it, and are going to have a movie night at our house when we return from Costa Rica. It is wonderful.

We meet Gustavo on Thursday. It was so strange flying into San Jose last night,  looking down at the lights....it felt surreal to finally, after so many years of  prayers, be actually looking down at the very ground where Gustavo and his family actually live...his home country!  I will let you know how it goes!

OH, one more thing that I wish I had done from the beginning of our sponsorship, is to have gotten a photo album, or a binder to keep all of his photos and letters in one spot. We have moved quite a few times these past 12 years, and I was a new, sadly, unorganized mom for some of those years(I am getting better!)   and at first, I put them in one place, then another. Then after some travels and packing, things were misplaced. So, finally I tried to round up as much as I could, and put them all into a nice binder, and have it with us to show him and his parents when we see them. Like a big scrapbook! It is soo much fun to see in the photos how he has grown! And it keeps everything in one place. I also wish I would have made copies of all of our letters and placed them in the binder, but I did not do that. I will from now on. Then, when he graduates from the program, I will send it to him, so that he can remember the love we have shared for so many years. He will have a tangible reminder of how much we love him,and how much we care for him, and always will.

Once again, congratulations to you, Muppetwrangelr on your sponsorship. Your generosity is beautiful!

Hello Insiders!

We have returned from our trip to Costa Rica, where we got to meet in person, for the very first time, Gustavo, and his sweet mother, Rocio! It was a life changing trip! As I had posted above,we have sponsored Gustavo since has was a baby, and now 12 years have flown by. To be able to hug him, talk with him(CFCA provided us 2 translators), laugh with him, cry tears of joy with him, watch my sons play soccer and basketball with him, and tell him how much we love him over and over was unbelievable! He was so filled with love, joy, and thanksgiving, and it flowed throughout the day.

HIs mother, Rocio, is a wonderful woman, and we had so much to talk about and share. She was so grateful for our help, and most of all, our love, letters and prayers. She could not stop thanking me. We couldn't stop hugging each other! I could not stop thanking her! She is an inspiration...this sweet woman who has been through so much, and yet is filled with such a loving strength, and joy. I am so glad I got to meet her. She kept saying she wished her father was still alive, as he used to think we were not really real. He thought we were just pictures given to them, not really real people who loved and cared for them over the miles. She could not thank me enough for coming. I could not thank her enough for for the way she has touched our family's life. She has no idea what a blessing she, Gustavo, and her family are for us.

So, I am very thankful we finally got to make this trip. Another gift was meeting the CFCA staff. They are saints!  They give so selflessly to better other people's lives! It was an honor to meet them! They met us with hugs, smiles, and thanksgiving. They had a huge binder for us that had a page for each month we have sponsored Gustavo, listing exactly what was purchased for him with our money. They had put together a slide show, and we got to see photos of Gustavo with all of the things we have sent him over the years! Rocio had brought all of the photos we had sent her over the years, and I had brought a notebook with the letters from Gustavo and his photos he had sent...it was so much fun looking at all of them together...looking at these beautiful boys grow into handsome young men! Our time together was priceless, and although we had from 9am-4pm, the time flew by. When it was time to leave, it was hard. I just wanted all of us to go with them, or have them come with us, but that of course, was not possible, so we hugged for the last time, blew kisses and thanked God for how our hearts had grown in a way they had never been able to before.

To Gemprincess and Muppetwrangler, if you ever have the opportunity to visit your sponsored child, I encourage you to do it. It took many years of planning and saving , but it was so worth it.  If that is not possible, please, I encourage you to write to your child. The CFCA staff said the sponsored cherish any correspondence, and Gutavo's mom said she keeps everything we have sent in a box, and they love getting it out and going through the letters and little gifts...she said it gives them hope, and makes them feel treasured. CFCA is so great nurturing the dignity of the person and encouraging them to overcome the obstacles in their life...they truly care about each and every sponsored person, and they also are so grateful to people like you. So thank you for making a huge difference in your sponsored person's life! You have no idea how much they appreciate it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...