3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2013 8:57 PM by mickeymyat RSS

Why am I being cheated out of Gold status?

gwg Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I have tried the online comment form, but am not getting any response.  I have tried email direct to internet.customer.care@marriott.com.  Again, no response.

I will try this forum as a last resort.

I was given temporary Gold status and invited to register for the Taste of Gold promotion.  I registered.  The rules were simple:  I needed to achieve 6 stays by June 30 in order to maintain Gold status through Feb 2015.

It was not easy, but I achieved 6 stays before the June 30 deadline.  (Also, to be fair, these were not all single-night stays.  Most were multiple-night stays.  So Marriott certainly profitted from my business.)

The 6th stay -- the last one I needed to achieve the challenge -- ended June 30.  That's when I checked out.

As you know, Marriott Rewards usually takes a couple of days to post stays to your account.  So my stay ending June 30 was not posted until July 2.

To my surprise and disappointment, I was too late.  The challenge (Promotion) was closed and I lost the opportunity to confirm Gold status.

To add insult to injury, I was immediately demoted to Silver status.  I received only a 20% bonus for my stay, not the 25% Gold bonus.  I had Gold status throughout my June 28-30 stay, so I should have received 25% for the stay.

The bigger issue, of course, is being cheated out of the Taste of Gold promotion.  I obeyed the rules and completed 6 stays by June 30.  5 of those stays were posted by June 30.  The 6th stay was posted today, and you are not counting it.

This is a clear case of bait-and-switch.  I obeyed the rules -- 6 stays by June 30 -- but clearly you have changed the rules on me.  That's not fair.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why am I being cheated out of Gold status?
    mickeymyat Gold 3 Reviews

I am in the similar boat as you.

Checked in on 29th as Gold status and wake up next morning on 30th as Silver status...

I guess they are just delaying in the response I guess.

Send an email to them, so far no response yet...

I hope Rewards customer care will take care of it properly in time...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mafaldamay Silver

I have a very similar problem.  I regularly go to the Residence Inn in Colchester, VT.  So, when I received the Taste of Gold promotion, I was delighted. 

I asked the clerk at the front desk what was considered a stay in Mariott's terms, and she told me one night = one stay.  Perfect!  We stayed 8 nights in different Marriots in May and June, during five different trips to FL, NH and VT.  However, I am now back at the silver status. 

I spoke to a different person at front desk, and was told that the other clerk misinformed me, that a stay at any Marriot starts from the time you check in to the time you check out.  Had I known this at first, I would have arranged my various trips accordingly and would have kept the gold status. 

It's pretty sad that not all front desk employees are well informed and thus make clients loose rewards like this.  

mickeymyat Gold 3 Reviews

Rule I understand is that, from check in till check out at any given hotel is considered as "One Stay" only, even if you book multiple rooms or stay multiple night.

Another way I kept on monitoring my Promotion status, a few days after stay does help will track of the progression.

No worry, I heard there are more such promotion to come and stay tuned! Some one at Marriott might look at your case and give you some kind of compromise offer....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...