13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2013 11:43 PM by daijoboo RSS

Platinum Elite Amenity gift?

schrap Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I actually just checked into Waikiki Beach Resort -- for years across various Marriott properties I had received an amenity gift of usually a choice of points or some form of food (snacks, etc)

This whole year 2013 @ Waikiki Beach I have been offered a choice of beverage and snack.

Tonight, checked in and they said "we are no longer doing that -- it's now a 1-time $10 towards food or 500 points.

Just checking if this is now a standard, or if amenity gifts vary by location that much? Anybody else experience the same at other properties or even this one and possibly how long has this been the case?

To be honest -- this property doesn't even offer a complimentary bottle of water in the room - so knowing that when I check in after a flight from the mainland and can get H2O and a snack before bed is something I've counted on :-)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Elite Amenity gift?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

schrap,

This is all still sorting itself out. Marriott corporate announced a "breakfast on weekends" plan that started a couple of weeks ago. There are a few threads on this topic.

It seems that some, not all, properties are choosing to meet the lowest common standard for Platinum "gifts". The offer you received was the one advertised by Marriott. Some properties are still going above and beyond.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I stayed at 3 Marriott properties this past week.  The first 2, Renaissance Times Square and Marriott East Side, made no mention of ANY Platinum Gift.  I was not offered either the 500 points or the $10 coupon for food/beverage.  The 3rd property, Renaissance Hotel 57, asked if I wanted "the points", but did not mention I had a choice.  Clearly, Pained is 100% correct and things are still getting sorted out at the property level. 

shoeman

cw082350 Gold 2 Reviews

Also each hotel appears to have there own interpretation of alcohol is included or not (even though local law allows it). Another thing to ask at the front desk...grrr

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

I would have collected the $100 from the 2 properties that didn't offer any amenity gift.  The $100 guarantee policy is still in place.

Cheers.

Marriott buried the downgrade in Platinum arrival gift w/ the announcement of cont'l brekkie daily in US/Canada.  Int'l properties still offer 500 points or food/drink amenity gift (thank goodness).  I've not heard of any US/Canada properties still offering food/drink amenity gift, but instead have uniformly gone to 500 points or $10FB credit.  If someone reports that a US/Canada property is offering more, then I'll update the Flyertalk exec lounge sticky w/ that info.

Cheers.

schrap Platinum

One of the managers @ Waikiki Beach resort is actually very responsive to emails --- we've exchanged before in the past. Here's the reply I got this morning -- -

>>> As of June 22, Marriott did eliminate the platinum arrival gift instead giving our Platinum members a $10 food and beverage voucher. This voucher was rolled out to all Marriott properties company wide <<<<

The GM is wrong.  The policy was rolled out to US/Canada properties.  Outside the US/Canada, the Plat arrival gift policy is still 500 points or food/drink amenity (thank goodness).

Also, since you're in email contact w/ the GM, let him know your dissatisfaction with the $10FB credit (if you're dissatisfied) & remind him that the 500/$10 is the minimum that Marriott says they have to offer, but they can offer more per Michelle & you hope he'll do so in the future.

Cheers.

rabels Platinum 5 Reviews

Marriott announced a change in Gold & Platinum complimentary amenities May 21, 2013.

daijoboo Platinum

I was just advised by an employee of Marriot Detroit Metro Airport that Marriot no longer gives a gift or points and instead gives a coupon for breakfast for two people ONLY on the weekdays.  I read the Gold & Platinum complimentary amenities statement and it clearly states 7 days a week ... but for Participating Hotels.  I was just at a Marriot in DC in July and was not told any of this.  It was as if the gift policy was the same as it used to be.  I would prefer standardization.  Either have the gift or not.  I think it is a nice touch.  Very classy.  I really hate to see it go.  But what saddens me most about this situation is that cities like Romulus (Detroit suburb) that probably can't afford to offer the program are the locations that need to offer it the most.  Honestly, I can just easily switch to a different Marriot in the same area, say a more affluent suburb... so the airport Marriot will continue to suffer.  People don't want to hear that just because you are in town on the WEEKEND you are not worthy of a Platinum gift.... it's weird...

You just encountered an uninformed front desk clerk.  In updating the exec lounge sticky in the Marriott forum on Flyertalk, I've discovered when talking to FDC that some of them are confusing the Platinum arrival gift with the new breakfast policy - mostly because the new (lesser) Plat arrival gift option is a $10FB coupon, so some think that you get that instead of the breakfast since it applies to food.  Others (not many) think the breakfast coupons are for weekday only.  If they say weekday only, I just remind them of Marriott's policy change since 6/22/13 which is daily if there is no lounge or if the lounge is closed.  If they're still clueless, ask to speak to a supervisor. 

But it sounds like you're confusing the two as well, or at least using the words gift policy & complimentary amenities interchangeably.

Platinum arrival gift (regardless of how breakfast is handled): US/Canada - 500 points or $10food/beverage coupon.  Int'l - 500 points or food/beverage amenity.

Breakfast policy for Gold/Plats - breakfast (for 2) in exec lounge if it's open.  If lounge is closed (or if there is no lounge), a choice of 750 points or cont'l breakfast for 2 each day the lounge is closed.  Some properties offer full brekkie but they're only required to offer cont'l. 

Cheers.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Thanks for clarifying.  As much as I have read about the new policies, your explanation makes me say "I get it."  Have a FS Marriott stay coming up next week - the first since the policy change.  Am anxious to see if policy is followed.

daijoboo Platinum

Yes, I was confusing them, because the Rep confused them.  Thanks so much for clarifying.  I asked about the Platinum gift and she went in on a breakfast coupon and how it wasn't offered on the weekend. LOL.  Another Rep there gave us Breakfast coupons anyway that weekend.  But because I didn't see your reply in time, I never received a gift.

ajapuff Platinum 4 Reviews

I have been fortunate to not run into this issue yet.  Everywhere I go, they offer up the amenity (points or voucher).  Automatically get the brekkie voucher on weekends.  I am a creature of hotel habit tho - DC=Wardman Park; NYC=Hotel 75; SF=Sanford Court; you get the idea.  I think we need to continue to remind the front desk about the amenity - they will adjust eventually.  I am happy to have the voucher for weekends as it is nice to have access to breakfast.

I have to give a shout out to the Wardman Park in DC.  They are ALWAYS on their game.  Welcoming, put me in the old tower, and have a great concierge lounge.  Might not be on the mall, but the neighborhood is great and the Metro is across the street.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...