17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2013 11:48 AM by anadyr RSS

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Not far from The RI, Downtown St. Louis, was a fantastic show this week-end!

If you are a Beatles Fan, or just enjoy their music, you may want to see this "World Class Show" if it comes to a town near you.  With the St. Louis Symphony backing up the "Fab Four Cast",   it was a special evening for a sold out show at Powell Hall.  The four entertainers have performed all over the world and if you see the show, you will know why.  The show had more "Standing ovations", than any I have ever witnessed.  It was a fun event that featured songs not just from the famous album, but other songs performed by John and Paul, after the Beatles.

You can see some of the details at:

ClassicalMysteryTour.com

The upcoming schedule:

8/10     Pasedena, Can

8/30,31,9/1  Fishers, IN

9/7     Modesto, Ca

9/28     Richmond, VA

10/5     Baytown, TX

10/18     St. Petersburg, FL

11/16     Jacksonville, FL

Was lucky enough to get a picture with John Lennon (AKA Jim Owen), from CA, and was fantastic! (Will publish soon)

Has anyone else seen this show, or another Beatles Tribute, or "A Real Beatle Show"?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
St. Louis, Missouri, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn St. Louis Downtown
  • Re: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band!
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry, that album at once changed the Beatles and sealed their fate--it was so complex that they almost never performed outside the studio again.

I did live it and have the 33 album somewhere.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

anadyr,

The said at the concert that "Rolling Stone Magazine" picked that album as the "Best Album of all time"!  I have never read the magazine, and have no idea if that is true, but have no reason to doubt it.

Wow, I thought it was something else but you are right: In fact three if the top five are Beatles Albums, Here's the article.  You might also want to check out the list of best singles of all time, found here.

anadyr,

Thank-you for sharing this with us!

Had no idea the Beatles would dominate the list.  Surprised about Bob Dylan, never could understand him, nor why he would be awarded some "Medal" from the US Gov't!.

Thanks!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Not only was it the greatest album of all time, but the E-major that ends "A Day in the Life" gets my vote for greatest chord of all time.

I agree, the structure of that album, the varying tempos, the major lifts (no that's the line from Halleluiah, sorry) all are examples of great composition and beautiful lyrics too. 

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I too lived it and loved it!  This was the album that ended the days of the bubble-gum Beatles and brought them into the age of Rock. 

shoeman,

That is what the magazine said about the album as well!

Good call!

Really had no idea of the significance of that album.

Like Pet Sounds (Beach Boys) also in the top ten, it marked a change from melodic, dance-worthy music to altered consciousness, can't figure out the lyrics Rock and Roll.  Heavy metal and Arena Rock was yet to come. Monterey Pop, held here in the summer 0of 1969 put this music on full display, though the Mamas and Papas were here as well with their folksy music. Jimi Henrix and others stole the show.

anadyr,

I have really never heard of some of the "Top 10" albums of all time.  Pet Sounds is one of them! 

Do remember the impact of Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix on music during that time, but really was not a fan of theirs.

It had to be very special to go to The Monterey Pop Festival during this historic time.

I was  not living here then but there is a DVD of the performances out there.

Anadyr,

This was really a great show, with talented people!IMG_3267.JPG

I was lucky to get my picture with "John Lennon" of the act, and this guy was wonderful.  He has been performing since he was 5!  This was a really great experience!

erc Platinum

jc

Put John's moustache on you and picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies and all of a sudden continental breakfasts are no longer an issue!

I attended an entertaining performance at DC's Arena Stage One Night with Janis Joplin | Productions | Shows / Tickets | Arena Stage on Janis Joplin, which as the link states is headed to Broadway. This is more of a show though, than a concert, with some superb blues singers highlighting songs that influenced Joplin, so we had a good time, but as much as I enjoy a Blues Alley performance, I was hoping for a more Monterey Pop aura, but having said that, it was a top notch performance by all musicians and it's easy to see why it's Broadway bound.

Tonight tef catches Paul McCartney and Sunday with a stay at the Annapolis Marriott (hopefully with a harbor view) I'm attending a Rolling Stones tribute band (of course, they bill themselves as the best, we'll see), so as The Who sang, Long Live Rock.

Janis, what a belter.  Her performance at Monterey Pop in 67 was amazing, I hear.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Oh, Lord, wontcha buy me an upgrade to a suite?

My friends are all plat'num, and I must compete.

Hey that's a Joplin song written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster, but a good take off.

Since I drive an (22 year old) Mercedes Benz I like the older lyrics better,

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...