39 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2013 2:19 PM by iahflyr RSS

Numerous Hotels not accepting points

ke10hofen Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am at my wits end.  I have been a Platinum member for almost 10-years and have always spoke highly of Marriott and stayed with them 100 percent of the time.  However, in the last year I have noticed that more often than not hotels WILL NOT have any rooms available for rewards booking.  This in NOT just a random complaint.  Since February I have had at least 5 hotels in different locations across the US not accept a rewards booking while they will more than happily accept a booking for $$$ from even a non-rewards member.  I have sent a complaint to customer service and pretty much got a form letter blowing my concerns off.  The block rewards reservations attempts where in California, Washington State, Oregon and Colorado.

This was about a month ago that I wrote that letter.  Now I am trying to plan a trip with my wife for our anniversary.  We are flying into Reno and driving to Napa.  I attempted to book rooms in South Lake Tahoe and then in Napa.  I have the frame grabs from my attempts, but can not load them here.  However, the results are 2 BLOCKED hotels in South Lake Tahoe and 3 BLOCKED hotels in the Napa area.  I was forced to get a hotel 20-miles from where we will need to be even though the Marriott that is 3.8 miles away WILL TAKE MY MONEY BUT NOT MY POINTS!!!!!  I signed off as a platinum member and went back to the Marriott website as just anyone.  I did not sign in and was able to book THE SAME EXACT NIGHTS AS LONG AS I PAID. HOWEVER, AS A PLATINUM MEMBER I COULD NOT USE MY POINTS!!!????????

THIS IS NOT A ONE TIME OCCURRENCE!!!!!!! This has happen with at least a dozen Marriott locations across the country. It took me 3 phone calls to customer service before anyone would give me the Marriott HQ address in Maryland.  I feel like my opinion as a nearly 10-year platinum member does not matter.  Regardless of whether or not this is something of a new "inside policy" it is certainly my perception and a GROWING perception of other Marriott members.  For any Marriott customer service rep to spout the "policy of no blackout dates" is irrelevant.  Actions of Marriott hotels speaks volumes to me!

Sincerely,

Mark

ke10hofen@mac.com

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Numerous Hotels not accepting points
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

HI Mark,

i've experienced the same issue with a couple of Marriott properties in Europe.  And, I received the same canned response as you.  I replied to that email stating that my expectation was that they would reach out to the property for me or provide me with the manager's name and email so I could contact the manager directly.  In both cases, they emailed the property and I eventually got what I wanted.

The key seems to be to not give up!

Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You're not alone guys.  I too have been attempting to book some different properties in Hawaii using points as well as the Caribbean for early next year only to find months and months of no rooms available for check-in, some not even using cash money to pay for the room as an experiment.  Now granted some of the properties are vacation clubs which may or may not have any bearing on this issue, but you'd think a property would have some rooms available during a couple month period when you're looking 7-8 months out.  One should not have to contact the hotel directly to book rooms, if so Marriott might as well shut down their website and we can all start calling to book rooms.

Let's see if NathalieF has any insights on this issue.

I'm still hoping for a response to this issue in this thread from NathalieF or merb as I don't believe we ever got a response.

I know, and they get lost in the hotel reviews!

Thanks merb

johnl Marriott Associate Gold

Hi IAHFLYR,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you've experienced.  I know from experience that both Hawaii and anywhere in the Caribbean fill up extremely fast.  The rule on "no blackouts" is that the hotel has to keep all of their standard rooms available for point redemption.  Each hotel is granted a few days throughout the year where they can limit the amount of standard rooms they make available for point redemption (usually leaving 10% of their standard rooms available).  For those of you who have been around for a while, you'll probably remember the "10% of standard rooms be made available for redemption" was the everyday standard, with hotels being able to completely black-out certain dates.

If you are running into an issue where the standard rooms are available at paid rates, but not redemption, give reservations a call and see if they can make an inquiry.  If it's a location/date pairing that is obviously a busy time (Superbowl week, Kentucky Derby, NY at New Year's, New Orleans at Mardi Gras), the most likely answer is that the hotel is using one of their "limited redemption inventory" days.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

JohnL

Johnl,

Extremely fast booking of reward stays isn't the issue.  I have started looking again and the farthest out date the rooms are already taken and that is impossible to have happen, unless folks are booking one day at a time which for Hawaii or Caribbean is unrealistic.  Looking today the farthest out date is 9/29/14, after that date rates are not available as yet....tomorrow which will be 10/17/13, you'll be able to see 9/30/14, is the farthest out and guess what, no reward nights are available which is simply ****.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I'm not sure if and how you've resoled this by now, but I did want to circle back to your point. Paid rates and redemption availability should generally be available up to 11 months out as you mentioned, but besides the possibility of inventory control dates, the dates or rates may not be loaded yet, or the hotel may not fully participate in "No Blackout Dates" at this time:

• Boscolo Hotels, Autograph Collection
                • Camelback Inn, A JW Marriott Resort and Spa, Scottsdale, AZ
                • Marriott Vacation Club – all locations
                • Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora, Rome, Italy
                • Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
                • Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Hawaii

And just to reiterate another point from johnl earlier:

If you are running into an issue where the standard rooms are available at paid rates, but not redemption, give reservations a call and see if they can make an inquiry.  If it's a location/date pairing that is obviously a busy time (Superbowl week, Kentucky Derby, NY at New Year's, New Orleans at Mardi Gras), the most likely answer is that the hotel is using one of their "limited redemption inventory" days.

Thanks, my resolution was to book another hotel chain.  When one attempts to match airfares and hotels in a few different location we don't have the luxury of waiting until these revenue rooms come up showing available.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I tend to be pretty pollyanna on this stuff, and I've had great luck using points over the years, but - if this is a trend - it could be a deal-breaker.  The no blackout rule was (initially) one of the primary reasons that I went from being an occasional Marriott customer to an all-but-exclusive, hyper-loyal customer.  To make matters worse, now that Marriott has made it easier for us to achieve high Lifetime status, the calculus becomes more complex:

If I don't need more stays to achieve and keep my Platinum status, and if I can't use my points when and where I want to, why shouldn't I spend my hotel dollars elsewhere?

For now, I'm remaining optimistic.  I've already booked our big summer trip for this summer - before the categories changed - for under 150,000 points.  See: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/12792    If - when I attempt to book my next big trip - I have the kind of experience described above, I'll be contemplating a shift in allegiances.... For now, hope springs eternal (but I'm curious to hear about others' experiences).

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

It's been a well established policy that the hotels only offer a certain number of rooms for rewards redemption. So if on a particular day a 200 room hotel offers 10% of its inventory for Reward redemption, after they give up 20 rooms to customers booking with points everyone else is shutout.

I have to be honest and say that this is fair because a property can't simply allocate 100% of their rooms to free stays, even though the properties do get reimbursed from Marriott for redemption's. What may not be fair is how much each property is able to allocate towards free stays. If it's a low number like 2%, then they are being disingenuous in my view.

We've all been down this road before and the only way that I've been able to solve the problem for big trips is by booking rooms the moment the inventory opens up, which is about 350 days prior to check-in. I've found this is an absolute must when planning a big trip such as my recent one to Paris and London.

You may try to use the suggestion that Newhiltonmbr gave, by contacting the General Manager of the hotel directly. This has worked for me each time I've attempted it.

The last hotel I had this happen, the manager sent me an email stating that he'd honor my request and he had no idea why I wasn't able to book it online.  Seems the allocated number of rooms had not yet been reserved according to him.

mikiegfla,

Yes, it's common knowledge the rooms to redeem points are limited however; it was mentioned using $$$ for the room in my post that the rooms are not even listed as available to check-in.  Here, try and find more than one day (Dec. 29th) where you able to use this property without calling the hotel or reservations to check into a room from December 22, 2013, though June 2014.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hnmmu-marriotts-maui-ocean-club-lahaina-and-napili-towers/

This is also a sore point as well as what appears to be a firm hold on the number of rooms to redeem points over the first six months of 2014.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

OK, sorry to be back to this topic, but I'm still flummoxed by the concept of blackout dates...  I just happened to be visiting the revised hotel category-points chart: https://www.marriott.com/rewards/pointsGridPopUp.mi?awardType=Standard

This language jumped out at me from the bottom:

Point values are based on a standard room and may vary by length of stay and hotel category or tier. Upgrades may be available for extra points. No Blackout Dates apply.

Marriott Vacation Club resorts do not participate in No Blackout Dates.

[I added the underscore.]  OK, I get that Marriott Vacation Club doesn't agree not to blackout certain dates, but what am I missing on the rest of the properties?

Also - and maybe I'm missing something - but what stops you from BOOKING with dollars and the PAYING with POINTS once you get there? [I haven't done the math - I'm guessing the value of points used this way is much less, right?]

See: https://www.marriott.com/marriott/instant.mi

Only Marriott Rewards® lets you redeem points instantly at any participating Marriott across the US (except Hawaii - sorry IAHFLYER), Canada and Europe (includes the United Kingdom, France and Germany). That’s on anything that can be charged to your guest room. Dinner. Cocktails. Massage. Golf. Even a room upgrade or an extra day of vacation. There’s no certificates, no waiting.

From the practical to the indulgent, Instant Redemption gives you the freedom to use your points however you want. Here’s how it works: Simply request your award at any time between check-in and check-out. You can even change the amount during your stay — whether you want a larger award or less. That’s it.

So, relax, it’s on your points.

*** also: 3. Instant Redemption Awards are valid only when used toward the expenses charged to the Member's guest room, including but not limited to room charges, food and beverage, golf, spa services and incidental expenses.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Based on experience I'll take a stab at answering your concerns.

We all, and I mean all, share your frustration with the Blackout Date policy and it shouldn't be confused with capacity control. Blackout dates are dates in which a hotel would not offer any rooms for points redemption due to holidays, special events (Superbowl or college games for example), what have you. Supposedly that practice has been eliminated and rooms would be made available for redemption for those days (although I'm not totally convinced of that). Capacity control is when the hotel allocates a fixed number of rooms for rewards redemption. Once they reach that number, no rooms are available for use with points.

As for making a paying reservation and redeeming points at the desk when checking in using Instant Redemption, you can do it but the redemption's are only good for a certain dollar amount and keep in mind that Instant Redemption values are a really bad deal and you were correct when you said the value of points is much less - and you ain't kidding. For example, paying for a $5 drink will cost you 2,500 points which means that if you accumulated those points using your Chase card that $5 drink cost you $2,500 in charges. If you reserve a room that is going to cost you $200 a night, you'll need to fork over 59,000 points in order to pay for it. Since the highest category (9) will now cost you 45,000 points, you can see that forking over 59,000 points for a Courtyard somewhere costing $200 a night is a bad deal. But it is available to you.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I've done that in the past when I decided before I left that I wanted to use points instead of cash.  I don't know whether they were blacked out for points or not.  But I've thought about it several times when CS told me the rooms weren't bookable by points and I had thought the terms said no black out dates.

It is very confusing and aggravating when it happened, but that was 2 years ago.  I haven't tried using points until today to book a room since getting our first set of cheques in Dec 2011.  Now, we only have 2 left from the 4th set of cheques we got Dec 2012.

It's not a new issue for me, but it looms as a confusing issue in the future. 

P.S.:  When I did change the room from dollars to points, I called CS early that A.M. and they just transferred the number of points that would have been required if I had booked under points.  That happened a couple of times.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I've been complaining about this since the MRI site was first put up. "No Blackout Dates?" C'mon, who's kidding who? There are so many T&Cs on the Use Points that is can be impossible to book rooms on points at some of the desired venues. Of course, the desired venues are where I wish to relax for a week's vacation with my family after putting in an average of 200+ Marriott paid nights annually. This is one reason (no more free coffee was the proverbial "straw") to have put all my nights into Hilton since 02/01/2013. Thus far this year, Hilton has seen 115 paid nights - Marriott (all in January), 21.

You rock pingreeman.......my stays are also down at Marriott however; nothing close to your numbers and they still won't get it.

I have been one of the most outspoken about 'no blackout dates, point redemption increases, etc.'.

So, to be fair, I have to applaud the GM at the Autograph Collection hotel in Santiago de Compostela, Spain.  I tried booking a redemption stay in May for a late September stay but was unable to as none were available online.  I emailed Customer Care asking that they contact the hotel on my behalf, received the stock reply that they must be booked.  I replied that if they would not contact the hotel on my behalf  to request an override, would they send me the GM"s email.  They forwarded my email to the GM.  Heard from the GM a few days later that he booked my stay.

Now, I will be wrapping up at my current client at the end of July.  Only found out about this a couple of weeks ago...new project I was going to work on is cancelled.  To have a better chance of 'next client', I'm changing my vacation from Sept-Oct to August at this late date!

I've looked at the Santiago property online for every day in August and September for redemption stays... Not available for any time in those months.  I emailed the GM asking if I could switch my dates from late Sept to mid-August.  Received an email this morning that the change has already been made!

Kudos to the SdeC GM!  I can't thank him enough for all of his help!!!  I'm very much looking forward to staying in this former palace, but more so to meeting this great person!

fhllast4ever Platinum

All this talk about blocked rooms is kind of depressing.

However, your story about the Santiago GM is very impressive customer service indeed.  He (or she) should be

recognized for his exemplary service.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

newhiltonmembr

How did your trip go?  Did you get to meet the great mgr?  Do you have any pictures?  I'd love to see them if you were to post.

Hi eb5147,

My trip to Northwestern Spain was wonderful!  I loved every place that I visited.  Would not leave out any of them if I were planning that trip again.  Probably wished that I had more time to see more in the area.  But, who has unlimited time?  I spent 23 days... which is 21 days on the ground with the 2 travel days.

People in Spain are just very friendly and helpful.... even in the small towns that I visited where most don't speak English, they tried and did help me.  The most wonderful people that I have met thus far in my travels.  I have 4 years of high school/college Spanish from way too many year ago but only remember the basics... donde esta la biblioteca; una cerveza, por favor.... una mas, por favor.... then after too many of those cervezas... donde esta los aseos, por favor?

Unfortunately, I did not get to meet that SUPER property manager but I did put in my bid for his winning the best associate award.  He truly deserves it!!!

Here is the link to my album...  hope you enjoy the trip!

23 days in 23 minutes...

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1549

Here's the link to my Santiago de Compostela hotel/manager review:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/89114#89114

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

The front desk at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront couldn't have made it easier to switch to points.  The Carambola St. Croix told us it couldn't be done; that it had to be done online during the reservation process.

johnl Marriott Associate Gold

Hello everybody,

The policy is that the hotels must keep all of their standard rooms available for point redemption.  The hotels can choose to offer different room types for point redemption, but there is no requirement on those rooms.  The hotels do get a few "inventory control dates" that they can use throughout the year.  Inventory Control Dates are where they only have to offer 10% of their standard rooms for point redemption.  These will usually occur on the dates you would expect (Christmas, New Year's, city hosting the SuperBowl etc.).

The situations I've described probably account for the majority of the issues described by other posters.  The issues where you can't get point availability, but you can get a paid rate are more than likely situations where the available room is above the standard room.

I hope this helps relieve any confusion.

Thanks,

John

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

johnl - point well taken, and we all know the policies behind the T&Cs. But to promote, ALL OVER with e-mails, web site, etc. that Marriott had announced a "No More Blackout Dates" was, IMO, "false advertising." More importantly, however, is to answer this question: "What is the use of amassing millions of points when you cannot spend them where and when you wish?" I once had 3.2M points hoping and wishing to use them for my family during Christmas break or Spring break, only to find that no venue was accepting reservations on points where I wanted to go. I finally cashed in 2.6M on Marriott Cheques (an MR program to use points to convert to cash that has followed the Dodo bird) so I could use "cash" to guarantee rooms. Of course the conversion of points to cheques was much lower than if I could have booked the rooms using points directly. While it was a work-around, it did not come close to the "hype" of no more blackout dates.

boatpi Platinum 1 Reviews

Here are three I have tried this past week, and NO points but you can book it for $.

Pasadena Courtyard  around 1-1-., Venice Courtyard, Marriott Floral Rome.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I did not immediately book at the 50-weeks in advance mark, but I was pretty close and there was only one points option for next year's Kentucky Derby--a Fairfield Inn about 15 minutes away.  I also looked at 40-weeks in advance points stay to New Orleans and it was not even during the busy weekends or Mardi Gras and almost nothing was available...so I can definitely see why you are running into these issues.  Good luck.

ryan_bingham Platinum 13 Reviews

I agree that lack of Points inventory sort of defeats the whole purpose of the MR program.  But, and maybe this is just my dumb luck, I've always been able to find the rooms at the properties I've wanted, even at MVCIs in Hawaii.  I wish you luck! 

mickeymyat Gold 3 Reviews

There might have been some changes made by Hotels. I managed to get last min redemption to Down Town Hotel in Portland MA.

I have been eyeing for weekend stay and it was not Available for whole summer before. 30000 points for $450 per night room is a good deal.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

My experience redeming points for rooms at Marriott properties has been completely satisfactory!  Of course, I am a somewhat unhappy that the category shift has caused the prices in points for most properties to go up, but I have always been able to book a suitible room.  A couple of times I have booked what would have been my second choice property, but have always been able to use my points for a room.  Possibly my success is that I have never tried to use points during at a hotel during a major event - Mardi Gras, Superbowl, or even a large convention.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I don't think many hotels allow you to use points during big events.  For next year's Kentucky Derby, I could only find a Fairfield Inn 10 miles away (better than nothing though--15,000 points/night is better than $450/night) and nothing is available for next year's Comic-Con (San Diego Gaslamp Marriott is charging $900+/night during that time).  I guess you can't blame the hotels for not allowing points during those times when they can fetch those types of rates.

bw Silver

Same thing in Arizona

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Hey everyone,

Not sure if anyone else has run into this...I recently tried to book a room in Pittsburgh for a Saturday night. The property does not come up at all in the search results. I then tried the Friday and Saturday night stay and the property comes up. In this case it was available with cash or points on the Fri+Sat stay but not the Sat night only stay. Has anyone else run into this problem? Obviously if I can book a Fri and Sat night and not just Sat, the room is available on Sat they just won't do a one night booking for some reason.

megahertz Platinum

Hi, I think it's quite normal for hotels to only allow reservations for two nights or more, especially if they're nearly full. I've come up against this before. I often find if you phone up the hotel directly and ask, they might relax the room - especially if you ask nicely!

lapte Gold

Same here, but a lot has to do with the individual hotel. A lot of the franchised hotels have different rules. For example, different black out dates and only allowing platinum members in the Concierge lounge for free, while charging Gold and Silver $20 room charge to access the lounge.  Member since 2000 and earned Platinum the first year and every year since and it is only getting worse unless you platinum, it's a sign of the times...

abbyar Member

I'm having difficulty booking 1-2 nights at the Courtyard Lake Placid for 1/10-1/12. It's Lake Placid, and 2nd week of January isn't exactly peak season. I can buy 2 nights with cash, but not points. So grossly disappointed.

ETA: As I'm looking at booking a Min 2 night stay, with Cash, I've found it's actually less expensive to book a small house (3 bedroom, 2 bath) through vrbo. Insane that an entire house rental is less expensive than a hotel room.

You're not alone in with this issue abbyar, there are many of us who find hotels that are blocked from even revenue stays 11 months away and we still are waiting to hear why this is happening.  Some are blocked for obvious reasons like a huge event, convention etc., but it is very strange regardless.

There are a number of threads on this topic, I'll see if they can be found quickly and linked.