1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 2, 2013 11:07 AM by missgee RSS

Traveling with food allergies

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm curious what other insiders experiences has been with traveling with food allergies.  My 4yr old daughter has a number of them (soy, gluten, corn, milk are some), none are anaphylactic thankfully and we are trying to plan a family vacation.  I've considered some places out in the Rockies or west coast as they afford us the ability to shop at stores that stock things she would eat at home.  This could be a good option and might play out as the choice we make.  The other places the family is pushing for as their primary choice is the Caribbean, with the USVI as their first choice, perhaps the BVI as a second choice.  This is really the first trip we will be taking with her on a plane to a place that wasn't at or near family so the comfort zone really isn't the same.

Anyone here have any experience with this type of travel?  Any suggestions or perhaps specific experience in the USVI?  I was thinking about calling down to the property and speaking with the chef or manager and I'm sure they can prepare whatever however we need but I don't want to be tied to eating only at the property.

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
BVI
  • Re: Traveling with food allergies
    missgee Silver 40 Reviews
    Currently Being Moderated

I have some of the same allergies so I feel your anxiety.  We just got back from Puerto Rico and St Croix and had absolutely no issues with the cuisine.  If I am in any doubt I will ask the server to check with the kitchen prior to ordering. 

As an aside, Legal Seafoods restaurants have a separate, gluten-free, menu and they are very diligent about making sure there is no cross contamination.  Just in case you are ever in an area where they have one.   

Good luck, and have a stress-free vacation!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...