9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2013 4:22 AM by erc RSS

Misleading Room Rates?

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I don't know whether anyone has come across this before, but it was the first time for me.

I was looking into the headline rates for the hotel which was as follows:

Advance Purchase Rate, includes buffet breakfast, prepay in full

There were rate changes throughout the stay as it was over 5 nights, this is nothing unusual

But only when I was reading the Summary of Room Charges did I come across the following:

Summary of Room Charges

·         ·         (2 nights)

Advance Purchase Rate, includes buffet breakfast, prepay in full

·         ·         (2 nights)

20 pct off European Summer Leisure Rate, prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking, no changes

·         ·         (1 night)

Advance Purchase excluding breakfast, prepay in full

Estimated government taxes and fees

Total for stay (per room)

I find it hard to believe they can advertise a room that includes breakfast, yet for some of the days breakfast is excluded.

Be very careful when looking over the summary of charges particularly if you are paying in advance and no changes are allowed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
  • Re: Misleading Room Rates?
    erc Platinum

Good one sg - no, as a Marriott Pricing Grid 'weeds dweller', I've never seen one of these (although I did see rates that charged more for breakfast for two than one). This only shows us, once again, that the best strategy when booking rooms (especially using your own money) is to follow Hall of Fame Boxing referee Mills Lane's advice of "protect yourself at all times".

Sg, for finding the latest in pricing surprises, go have yourself a free/oops, I mean included, breakfast at a Fairfield Inn   .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sg1974 Gold

erc,

if you haven't seen it then i can assume it is a new one!

I have emailed the hotel and their reply thus far hasn't impressed me.

As the rates may change from one date to the other, the system unfortunately chooses the rates which are offered without breakfast.

Well this is wrong, when the headline clearly states advanced rate including breakfast.

there is another advanced rate that excludes breakfast, maybe for this rate you spend two of the nights in the cupboard!

I have noticed the other surprise pricing you mention, breakfast for one.

Cannot see the point of that when I am booking up for 2 people.

But it was for a Courtyard hotel where I noticed it, so this should not surprise in their nickel and dime campaign.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

It's all about the fine print.

sg1974 Gold

yes I agree it is all in the fine print.

but I think it is rather dishonest when there are 2 advanced rates displayed where one clearly says breakfast included and the other breakfast excluded.

i have never come across rates where it says breakfast included and that is a only for part of the stay.

I wouldn't like it either if it was affecting one of my desired stays, but it seems each room rate has its own rate rules.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I've seen some new weirdness with the Marriott site's reservations as well.  My observations are similar but in some cases the rate listed on the main page is not even available when you click on the property to see more details.  The "good ole days" they would show you the rate for the day you check in, then note when/if it changed during your stay, for example weekend nights.  Lately for me in Tampa, the weekly rates are much higher than the weekend rate so when I look for a location, I see the weekend rate listed only to find the bulk of my stay being $50-80/night more  

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I have found that calling a property when conflicting rates were presented allowed me to fix the issue.  Sometimes its nothing more than a computer glitch and the associate can quickly adjust your rate/package to match across the stay.

good call.

erc Platinum

I'm up in Canada having just finished celebrating Canada Day (146th Anniversary of their Confederation status) with fireworks, the whole shebang, good time had by all. At the Residence Inn Muskoka Wharf, with one of the few wonderful views (like on the web site - a big thank you to the staff) in spite of the property being smack dab on a beautiful lake, many of the rooms are at tree trunk or marina shed level, my point being, I'm in a terrific, contemplative (check out the time - and no, it's contemplative, not celebratory beer - although, it's tough to beat Canadian Lagers!) mood. Earlier today we drove around the lake and visited the lovely JW Marriott Resort (an actual resort, not just a motel with the title) in Minett on Rosseau Lake. Those rooms can go for $1300 a night with a $29 resort fee - here's the point to my post; I would dare say a third of those rooms, as lovely as the property is, look out into the woods, and I'm not talking national forest beauty, I'm talking HOA common area, leftover woods. How disappointed would any of us be, being tossed into a 1st or 2nd floor room overlooking the parking lot or sidewalk - ouch (granted these rooms went for the lowest price of $700 per). I learned long ago (thru this forum, I might add) that on a property where view truly changes the experience, just pony up and buy what you want and hope your elite status throws you a bone in securing the 'best of the best' - it's too much of a gamble otherwise.

Anyway, the two lovely lake properties with their broad range of possible outcomes stayed with me as I drove around the beauty of the lakes up here. I checked, as I often do, my upcoming reservations to see if any had gone down in rate (some had, providing me additional meal money ) and looked at one of this forum's all time favorites, The JW in Indianapolis. There for the first time, I saw which was to me, a new rate category, $9 per night more than regular rate - High Floor. Oh my, here we go sports fans, when the JW at Indy starts pricing like Spirit Air, what can we expect for future joys? (excuse me sir, would you like a television with your room?).

Ok, big day ahead - cranberry bog, kayaking, biking and a lake cruise ahead, so I'll call it a night, but first, congratulations to 

NathalieF Andy, best wishes to you and the Mrs. with your growing family. Happy Independence Day (sg, may you have a nice Thursday ).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...