9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2013 2:53 PM by lakersfan RSS

Hutchinson Island states that no one gets free wifi.....?

ardeni Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just got off the phone with the front desk at Hutchinson Island Resort about an upcoming vacation stay where I've booked two rooms, one of which is for my kids only.  They publish a $15 resort fee, and the representative confirmed that this is for parking and internet.  So, I asked what if my internet access is already covered by my Gold elite benefits (as many of you have pointed out in posts).  Before I even had a chance to also make the point about the kids not needing parking or internet, she stated that no one gets free internet at HI, not even Platinums.  This clearly contradicts the published benefits that Golds and Plats get free wifi across all Marriott brands (even resorts), and I thought that an individual hotel can't change the published benefits.

I've seen the various posts describing differing experiences with the resort fee, but any advice in this situation?  If we do end up parking a car, I could see possibly paying the resort fee for one room only, but definitely not for both rooms.  But, what if we don't even park a car?  Other family members are meeting us there, and we could envision sharing a minivan.  The blanket statement about no free wifi for any elites seems bogus.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Hutchinson Island states that no one gets free wifi.....?
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

ardeni,

Take a look at the hotel's factsheet: Port St Lucie Resorts | Port St Lucie Resort | Resorts near Port St Lucie 

It states that Guest Rooms have complimentary wireless and that parking is included in the Resort Fee.  My experience with Resort Fees is that they are always mandatory regardless if you use the amenities built into them or not.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

b.g.dixon Platinum 33 Reviews

I'd like to reply to the comment made about WiFi fees for Gold and Platinum Elite members.  You may have spoken with a hotel front desk agent who is uninformed of Marriott's Elite benefits for Gold and Platinum members.  I have found a number of hotel staff, even managers, are not informed, or trained/educated as far as these specific benefits offered Elite members.  You should call Marriott's 1-800 #  - Marriott Rewards Customer Care representatives; so that they can contact the hotel and make them aware of your benefit rights.  Please let me know if this works.  Good Luck!  P.S., If this doesn't work, you might get offered some bonus points to be added to your account.....Let me know.....

b.g.dixon Platinum 33 Reviews

Is there a short cut to finding out which Hotels offer "POINT SAVERS?"

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I've actually had to pay for the wifi as a Platinum many times in order to activate it, yet only once or twice did I find it on my bill at check-out.  Hate to say it, but sometimes Marriott will surprise you and someone in the billing department is ahead of the front desk.

ardeni Platinum

follow up:

I emailed customer care and asked for a reply from the hotel.  The hotel manager emailed back and explained that the resort fee also covered the beach shuttle and golf balls at their driving range.  That works for me--my golf game could use some driving range time!  And, in my circumstance,

he'd be fine about waiving the fee for one room.  I'm pleased with the response and resolution, and just goes to show that it never hurts to ask. 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Excellent, but I'm still curious as to the reason this particular property doesn't follow the Gold/Platinum benefit rights, unless that has been taken from us recently as well?  Maybe our NathalieF folks can answer the question?

And hitting range balls is way overrated, just go play!

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

I don't like resort fees.  However, if a property clearly and promonently discloses the fee and what it covers I accept them as a part of that property's charges.  My take on this property's Wi-Fi is that because everyone is charged the resort fee any dollar amount associated with Wi-Fi is a non-issue!

I have stayed at several FS Marriott hotels that offer free Wi-Fi to all.  To me, that does not diminish Gold or Platinum benefits.  In my mind, the one has nothing to do with the other.

About two years ago I was in an email "fight" over resort fees at the Wailea Marriott.  I felt the fee had not been clearly disclosed and it took many emails to determine what the fee covered.  I finally communicated with the concierge at the property and she set everything strait.  She clearly stated that the fee was charged for all rooms, whether paid for by cash or points, and emailed me a list of benefits the resort fee covered.  Once I understood the situation I was fully satisfied.  Previously I felt the resort fee and what it covered was arbitrary.  Once I understood the cost and benefits, it was no more an issue than the cost of the room, whether paid for by cash or points.

What the combination of cash, points and resort fee got was this view:

Sunset view from our balcony.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...