27 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2013 11:43 AM by eb5147 RSS

Children no longer allowed at Concierge Lounge?

malvarad Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello all,

I'm Platinum Elite member currently staying with my Family at the Marriott Marquis in NYC and was informed of the new Policy effective June 22nd were members can only bring one guest to the Concierge Lounge.

To our surprise , today I went with my wife and kids for some snacks to the concierge Lounge and we were turned away because including the kids it exceeded the 1 Guest Policy.

I have not received any information and not sure if it's a just a Hotel Policy or employees are not clear on the new Policy. I'm a loyal member and stay over 100+ nights / year and it's nice to share the some of the benefits  while traveling on Vacation with the Family  couple of times a year.

if it's true , I'm really disappointed and may need to consider other options.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Children no longer allowed at Concierge Lounge?
    marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I would imagine this is just the policy of that specific property.

I haven't heard kids being turned away, but I've been to a few hotels where they note a maximum guest policy.  I can't remember where I've seen this--I believe it was the Baltimore Marriott at Inner Harbor Camden Yards, which is a small Concierge Lounge.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

I think it's going to be like before the policy went into place.  Some properties restricted it to elite only (now they have to do elite +1: E+1), some did E+1, some elite & family, or those in exec level rooms.  So I think the same inconsistency will continue to apply.  I'm going to try & note on the exec lounge sticky on Flyertalk when people report if a property is sticking to policy.

Cheers.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I would also assume its a property decision. I would ask front desk for dining coupons for 2 for restaurant and then see how the restaurant handles the children's meals, that is, if they are young they may comp them

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

It will be interesting to see if this is adopted as a common policy.  I am personally conflicted on the issue as when traveling alone I have had many experiences of the lounge being overrun by families and getting a bit frustrated at the time.  Then on occasion, I have found that I was on the other end of the equation as I entered with my wife and grandkids.  I guess this could be one of those "no win" situations.  Hopefully each property will use good judgement as to how to apply a general policy to specific situations.

erc Platinum

I had this come up earlier this month and called Marriott Rewards and they informed me that yes, it is a policy; you and one guest (they stated they were not aware of any specific corporate child policy, although I have read on Flyertalk of some properties instituting the restriction). As most all responders have written, rewards policies are frequently the base level and often each property goes from there. But as the current policy is stated, regardless of age, some (if not all) properties may well turn back more than one guest.

Given the ongoing changes in breakfasts, the F & B $10 credit (have you seen the restrictions on those as accurately posted by Michellel yesterday? they resemble Macy's newspaper coupons), check in points policies etc etc, I have found that if something is an issue for me, I just call the property and ask and then cross my fingers that the person I spoke to knew what they were talking about.

Boy, if we ever complained about cookie cutter standardization or S.O.P.s, let us now forever hold our peace.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

To me, a guest limit is completely reasonable.  However...and this is a big however...one guest OR the immediate family members that are staying with you should be allowed.  American's Admiral's clubs allow two guests or family members traveling with you which makes sense.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

lakersfan (ouch it hurts to say that), I think your idea is more than reasonable.  Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be part of the Marriott criteria these days.

ardeni Platinum

Definitely seems like an individual property decision--both on the policy level and the enforcement level.  In the past few weeks, I stayed with my spouse and two young children at 1) the San Diego Marriott Marquis, and 2) the Napa Valley Marriott.  In SD, they handed me a card at check in stating that only one guest was allowed, but when I went into the CL with both kids, the CL employees actually were very friendly and went out of their way to say hi and greet the kids with a smile.  In Napa (one of the best CLs ever!), same thing, and there was actually a high chair sitting in a corner of the CL available for guest use!  Doesn't get more family friendly than that.

cw082350 Gold 2 Reviews

Yes stayed at Marriott in Charlotte this weekend and no card for only one guess. Plus there were plenty of kids running around. So in some ways I wish they would enforce the one guest policy or at least ban the parents who can't control there kids..lol

ajapuff Platinum 4 Reviews

Agreed!  I was at the JW Renaissance in DC last month and the CL was overrun by kids.  Cutting in line, loading plates, running around.  I have kids of my own, but they never have been allowed to act like these children!  There was also a party of about 15-20 Red Hat ladies who commandeered all the tables and sat there in the middle of the small space for what looked like the duration.  I took my little plate of lettuce and veggies (everything was completely picked over by 6pm) back to the peace and quiet of my room every night I was there.

I like to treat my family to the CL when we travel together - it is a perk of my time on the road and away from them, but I also can see the flipside of the huge crowds that take away from the ambiance of the CL.  Kids and I will be at the Hotel 57 in NYC this weekend, but no CL on weekends, so no worry.

gomer Platinum 2 Reviews

Over the past year or so, I have frequently experienced unattended/ out of control kids--- often 3, 4 or 5 from a single family.  This didn't used to be a problem.

They take all of the food, cause lots of noise and commotions and have been very disruptive.  Never have I seen an attendant talk to any of the parents

I think whoever suggested they comp kids meals in the restaurant has a great idea.  This restores the CL environment and hopefully provides a more

satisfactory solution for all. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

When we visited Prague, I would not let my kids bring my young (high chair ages) grandchildren in the CL.  My grandson is almost two and is going through a "phase" (some refer to it as the terrible twos. )  I didn't think it was fair to the other guests (who may have worked hard and saved for perhaps many years to be able to accomplish foreign travel, or even just worked hard all year and just want to enjoy a well deserved vacation).  I either stayed in the room with my gkids while my kids enjoyed their meal in the CL, or while they went to get food to bring back to the room.

The following week while we were in Vienna (without the kids or grandkids), there was a couple who brough their very young children into the CL every day, and every day those kids either had crying fits about something or else let out high-pitched screams.  Very hard to enjoy oneself or even think with that behavior going on.  It was quite annoying.  You would have thought they'd have had a clue with all of the looks people were giving them, but no.

Well behaved older kids, say maybe 8 and above is a different story.

Just my two cents.

ajapuff Platinum 4 Reviews

You are my kind of traveler!  I also have never understood parents who just ignore screaming in public.  Remove the kid back to your room!  My teens (who certainly had their moments when they were toddlers) always ask me why parents just ignore bad behavior - I tell them I haven't a clue!  They were wisked away when their behaviors started up.  I think I learned this from my mom - queen of my children will not misbehave in public!

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

At the La Concha San Juan they had a two person per room policy.  Any additional guests and there would be a $35 charge added to your account. 

As for the related topic... unruly children running about unsupervised and undisciplined in a CL not only reflects poorly on the parents but it also makes for a miserable visit for the other guests.  Especially when those same children are picking up food items with their bare hands, then putting them back and selecting another.  I am constantly shocked by the poor parenting skills on display.  I think a policy to bar the offenders from reentry would be wonderful, although I know that would never happen.

texdoc Gold 1 Reviews

I didn't have problems this weekend, but the hotel was pretty empty.

Elite + 1 is okay for members getting the benefit as an elite.  But, what about when you book a room and have the option of concierge lounge access/floor? Non-elites can book these rooms for a fee. You can't limit to elite + 1 because there is no elite.

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

Elite + 1  or registered guests in same room as Elite or those staying on the C level.

If concern is how many people are in one room, then the hotel can always charge a base rate for first 2 people and extra room rate charge for additional guests in same room (as in common in many countries when the room rate includes breakfast)  

If an Elite is booking a second room, then again, an extra charge can be set for the guests in the second room to access CL.  Seems fair enough.

sapeltier Platinum

I am staying down in Washington DC and really have issue with an Elite who thinks that it is OK to bring four young children along with the wife to the lounge.  While I have taken my family into the lounge plenty of times, I have always respected the real travelers at the time and would remove myself back to our room.  This fellow did not seemed to be phased that he took up over a third of the room, when there was space outside the lounge area, to sit as well.  While I do not support the one guest rule, I do feel that we should respect the people that are using the lounge for its intended purpose, not the guy who wants or feels that he is still deserved a free breakfast.

sapeltier, what exactly is a real traveler?

sapeltier Platinum

I think the purpose of the 'Executive" or Concierge Lounge is for the business traveler(s) to go unwind, get set for the morning, or to entertain a guest.  It's kinda why most are not open on the weekends.  A secondary use is of course to have the place to take the spouse and kids but not to take it over as their personal restaurant.  Why, what is your opinion of this issue?  You can see some of the above postings where people take this privledge way to far.  

I agree with you and others that misbehaving children are a nuisance, and so are the parents who can't/won't control them.  But I see the concierge lounge as a benefit to everyone, regardless of their travel habits, who qualify to use it.  Some people, not me, are gold or platinum members simply because they own multiple weeks of timeshares.  Some rarely travel but have paid extra to stay on the concierge level and use the lounge.  I think the more logical reason most lounges are closed on weekends is because their aren't enough authorized users in the hotel at that time to justify the expense of opening it.  We certainly agree that everyone who's authorized to use the lounge should be able to do so without being disturbed by crying children or loud adults.  I've seen both...

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I've been lucky and never been around any children in the CL who misbehaved.  In fact, I've only been around 2 in Cola., SC who were twins about the age of the infant dejamo posted.  Really well behaved and cute.

(Traveling mostly on weekends, I haven't gotten to use the CL much, either.) 

dejamo Platinum

ERCASLEEP.jpgSorry erccie........................looks like I cant drag your butt to the CL's with me anymore.

Your on your own , no matter if you fuss or not !

erc Platinum

Hey, how did this slip by my dejamo filter?         Well, anyway, the good news, I've stopped drooling and dribbling my food.

I think the elite plus 1 rule (especially with our new United members) is here to stay, regardless of age and therefore I invite fellow Insiders to stop by and join me for a waffle at the nearby SpringHill, uh oh, they're enhancing breakfast http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/14286

and we all know what that means, so you better hurry.

sg1974 Gold

Just checked one of my upcoming reservations and the wording had changed in the Rewards Account Information:

As a Gold Elite member, you can enjoy the following benefits during your stay (may vary by hotel):

·Guaranteed lounge access for you and a guest. Free continental breakfast for member plus one guest daily. Resorts excluded and certain hotels exempt.

Previously:

Guaranteed Concierge Lounge Access/ Free Continental Breakfast (M-F). Not available at Resorts.

Therefore those of us travelling with children will be worse off if they follow their policy.

If you are not allowed to gain access to the lounge with your wife and child will you then be paying for the childs breakfast in the restaurant?

I would hope not, as many of the room rates that I see including breakfast are for 2 adults and children 12 years and under.

It would be good if this issue was clarified though.

I do not see why children should be banned from the lounge.

Yes I have read all the comments above and unfortuntely there are always some kids that can run wild, but that is up to the parents to prevent that.

When we have visited the lounge we have let our daughter know to be quiet and not disturb other people. Having the iPad for her to play or watch a movie also helps!

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

With the new influx of United elites joining Marriott Gold, I expect more properties to enforce the elite+1.  Again, I'm updating the exec lounge sticky on FT to reflect those properties that do.

Cheers.

texasvoyager Platinum 30 Reviews

Seriously???!!!  Has Marriott lost their collective minds?  This is an insult.  When not traveling on business as a Platinum Premier and Lifetime (Emeritus with >100 nights/year over the past 10) and having my wife and two teen kids along, I have NEVER been denied access to the concierges' lounge (my greatest regards and kudos to the San Antonio River Center most recently).  If ANY Marriott property did this to me, I would take my own one by one to the lounge in defiance of such absurdity.  Granted, as international travelers, my teens are taught to treat all other guests and staff with the utmost of respect and regard.  Oy!

superchief1 Platinum

When my kids were younger, I would usually get them fruit and cereal and bring it back to the room rather than take them to the CL. Nothing in the new T&C would prohibit this unless they start monitoring how much food each person takes.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...