11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2014 1:03 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Honeymoon in Italy

fleshmaj Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all, looking for the expertise of the masses here.  My new bride and I are looking to plan our Honeymoon in Italy around October. We have Gold status, nearly 300K points, and are looking to spend 10 nights in Italy.  Probably 4-5nights in Rome then unsure about the rest. I'm hoping to do as much as I can  using points but not married to doing the entire trip on them.

Looking for any advice from those on here - best Marriotts in the area where we'll be able to maximize our status, hidden gems (in terms of other areas to consider), places to stay away from, etc.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rome, Rome, Italy
  • Re: Honeymoon in Italy
    psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

First suggestion - don't try to overcook the trip.  If it's your honeymoon, you two are going to be a bit burned out from all the planning and the event and need some romance and relaxation.  Rome is a fabulous place to start and, if available, Grand Flora would be a wonderful base camp on the Via Veneto.  There have been numerous conversations on Insiders about Rome recently.  Good choice in spending at least 4 nights there.  October is beautiful in Italy.  As you start heading north, the weather is still awesome and the leaves are changing, the vineyards are all dressed in golds and yellows.

Some suggestions:

(1) Leaving Rome in the morning, head Northeast to Assisi.  Spend part of the day here, see the Basilica in the northwest point of town, and the Assisi Cathedral.

Then head west toward Perugia, Lake Trasimeno and Siena.  A beautiful area.  Northwest of Siena is a beautifully preserved medieval town called San Gimignano.

(2) Leaving Rome, head north up the A1, stopping in Montepulchiano.  Go as high as you can by car and spend hours walking the hilly streets, visit a winery or two inside the mountain and have a fabulous lunch and admire the incredible views.  Continue north to Pisa, for your obligatory visit to the tower, then end your day IN Lucca.  Lucca is a beautiful, quiet and romantic town you can base yourself for a few days.  From Lucca, you can take the train into Florence for a day trip, a long day trip to Cinque Terre.  You could drive the whole way - beautiful, a bit tedious but worth it.  Or drive to Le Spezia and take a train.  If you are driving, I highly suggest GPS.  I had a Garmin and just bought the chip for Italy.  Then, as soon as I got home, I sold it on eBay.

Visit Bologna.  Beautiful town and wonderful food!!  From Bologna, you can visit the beautiful town of Ferrara, and/or Ravenna, on your way to Venice.  You can fly into Rome and out of Venice.

That's a high level.  My suggestion would be to try to limit the number of places you sleep.  Perhaps 4 nights in the Lucca area, doing day trips, then 2 nights in Venice before heading home.  You will see much - remember most - and come home both enlightened and refreshed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

fleshmaj,

Please consider Lake Como!

If you decide to try it by train, let me know, and I will get you detailed information and pictures.

Lastly, Monte Carlo!  Not a difficult trip from Rome, but a beautiful one as well!

You have some tough choices, but can't go wrong!

Good luck!

kwynts Platinum

flashmaj,

You may want to consider

Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa

Via Giovanni Pascoli,Castelvecchio Pascoli · Barga 55051 Italy

Phone: 39-05837691

for a few days of R&R (which is what a honeymoon should be!)  Not a lot of "touristy" things to do in the area - although Florence, Pisa, Lucca, etc are all easy day trips.  But the resort itself is situated in the Tuscan hills offering breathtaking views and outstanding service.  We stayed for three nights, and used points!  Highly recommend a rental car.  We drove to the resort from Florence and then drove to Rome from there.

kwynts Platinum

flashmaj,

You may want to consider

for a few days of R&R (which is what a honeymoon should be!)  Not a lot of "touristy" things to do in the area - although Florence, Pisa, Lucca, etc are all easy day trips.  But the resort itself is situated in the Tuscan hills offering breathtaking views and outstanding service.  We stayed for three nights, and used points!  Highly recommend a rental car.  We drove to the resort from Florence and then drove to Rome from there.

kwynts Platinum

You may want to consider

Breathtaking views and outstanding service!  We stayed three nights and used points!  Recommend a rental car - drove to there from Florence and drove to Rome when we left there.

Grand Flora or Boscolo (both on Via Veneto) are good choices in Rome, where we also used points.

kwynts Platinum

You may want to consider Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort in Barga 550512 Italy.   Breathtaking views and outstanding service!  We stayed three nights and used points!  Recommend a rental car - drove to there from Florence and drove to Rome when we left there.

Grand Flora or Boscolo (both on Via Veneto) are good choices in Rome, where we also used points.

Happy Honeymoon and Congratulations

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I just got back from Turin (Torino), and was very pleasantly surprised.  I posted photos here: Turin - Simply Stunning  ... Alas, didn't try the AC, but I saw it - it seemed like more of a business location than a tourist location.

But, more broadly you should also check out this thread: Favorite Italian Cities

ENJOY!!!!

ravibhati Member

Going on a honeymoon especially during the touristy season can get really annoying sometimes, especially when you have to rush around with the other tourists, and not be able to get any quiet time with your partner. So on your honeymoon, i would suggest you to take it in a slow and relaxed pace. On my honeymoon with my husband, we went to Rome and Florence. We did all the regular sight seeing but it was getting quite tiring after a while.

So on one of the days we just spend the day strolling by the parks in Rome, and had a bike tour with one of the locals in Rome. She then suggested us to try out dining with BonAppetour. They are a website where travelers can book meals with locals who invite travelers for a meal at their home. We loved it! It was fun, relaxed and a perfect end to our honeymoon. BonAppetour also has cooking classes with the locals, which I want to be trying out on our next vacation! Getting messy in the kitchen is actually very romantic! 

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

warning: this topic appeared as a new topic, but - alas - it's actually an old topic that was recently commented upon... hence, apologies for the repetition....

You can't go wrong - you'll love it.... My primary (humble) suggestion is that you not only visit high points/tourist spots, but be sure to get to some of the many, many, wonderful little towns.  Just to whet your appetite, here's some leisure reading:

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Italy, is a wonderful place to go for a honeymoon!

There are NO bad places to visit!

Lake Como, Rome, or Venice all would be memorable!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...