15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2013 6:24 PM by crnkotm RSS

One day layover in London... Late Sept... Where to stay?

crnkotm Platinum 6 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I are traveling to Croatia through London the end of Sept and back through early Oct. Each time we have about a day layover in London.

I was thinking we would take the tube up from Heathrow to Paddington station and spend the night. This will be both of our first times to London.

Can anyone recommend a good Marriott property for this? Something close to shops and pubs would be good for me!

Thanks!

Tony

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
  • Re: One day layover in London... Late Sept... Where to stay?
    sg1974 Gold

this is a good one for either erc or jerrycoin to provide some expertise on the hotels.

the heathrow express or connect would take you to paddington from heathrow.

you should take the Piccadilly line though from heathrow to central london to save cash.

for all your transport needs: www.tfl.gov.uk

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi there.  A few quick questions and/or comments (not in order):

* When do you arrive/depart on each of the 'day layovers'?

* What's your budget for London hotels or will you be using points?

* What's your status w/ Marriott (ie, basic, Silver, Gold, Plat)?

* Is lounge access or free brekkie a factor?

* You can take the Heathrow Express or the Heathrow Connect to Paddington from Heathrow (and then switch to a cab or a tube line to get to the hotel you choose)

* You can take the Picadilly tube line into Central London (depending on how much luggage you have), but may need to switch tube lines to get to whichever hotel you choose

Most first timers to London like the County Hall Marriott due to its proximity to Big Ben, Westminster, etc.  There are also some other Marriott properties such as JW Marriott, Park Lane Marriott, or Grosvenor Square.  There's also a recently opened Autograph Collection property, St. Elbin's, which is near Buckingham Palace.

If you answer some of the questions above, we might be able to make more detailed recommendations.

Cheers.

We get into Heathrow around 11am on Saturday and the flight out is 8:45 the next morning.

Not worried too much about price and don't want to waste the points for one day...

Gold Status Member

Unless the lounge is open on the weekend I'm not worried about that or breakfast since we have the early flight.

We'll probably take a cab from Paddington but I'm thinking of storing some of our bags at Heathrow or Paddington so we don't have to carry them around much...

Coming back we get in around 2:20 in the afternoon and don't leave until 12:15 the next day...

Thanks!

sg1974 Gold

based on the time you arrive & leave on the first leg, i would be staying in a hotel near the airport..

you could then check into the hotel, then head into central London for the afternoon and evening.

then seeing as you are staying near the hotel you can come back late and not be concerned about the flight the next morning.

erc Platinum

Well, I would certainly defer to the London experts like jerry, ski, stelzer, and sg, but if it were me, since I hate the anxiety of plane departure headaches (8:45 am); I would stay at the Heathrow Renaissance or Heathrow Marriott the first leg, catch the tube into the city and sightsee, dine, even catch a play and back to the hotel that evening with an easy morning trip back to Heathrow.  For the second leg (with a more leisurely flight departure 12:15) as ski and jerry will tell you the County Hall is a very nice stay, centrally located, but based on what you accomplish on your first leg, one of ski's or jerry's other hotel suggestions might provide a different venue with more variety.

Here's some bus info from Heathrow to the airport properties (very easy) and some other ideas that the veterans suggested.

Skim through and pick out whatever you need      http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/82225#82225

PS - while posting, I just read sg's suggestion - I certainly concur

Great advice! I too have plane departure anxiety...

Certainly a lot of information there... as stated if we stay out at LHR we should be able to wing the first trip.

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions later, Thanks again!

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Based on that info, I agree w/ the others that staying out near LHR the first trip makes the most sense.  Given you'll spend very little time at the hotel, go with whichever ie least expensive (Ren or Marriott).  You can catch the free bus to either, check in long enough to drop off your luggage so you don't have to schlep it around, and then take the tube into the city.  The 2nd trip you can stay at one of the west end properties.  Have fun!  Post if you have any additional questions and/or need more information.

Cheers.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

crnkotm,

SG and erc are right on!

Take the lowest priced place at Heathrow.  It should be under 100GBP!  Take the tube directly to The Westminster Station.  Get and you will be in front of Westminster Abbey.  Enjoy WA, Big Ben, #10 Downing, and The Churchill War Room. If you walk across the bridge you can take in The London Eye.  You can then walk up past The Sherlock Homes Pub, to Trafalgar Square and enjoy that area.

You may want to consider taking the double decker on/off bus around London.

When you have had enough  get back on at Westminster (Or wherever you desire) to Heathrow.   Get a good nights sleep, you will have an early start, the next day!  Good luck!

crnko5m,

Just checked the rates at LHR Ren.  you can get into their for 99 GBP on Wed. 9/25!  (I don't know exactly when you are going?), but that is a great rate.

Hope some of these ideas from a variety of MRI, will help others and yourself!

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

The last time I had a one-day layover at Heathrow we stayed at the Heathrow Airport Marriott.     We then never even went into London (It was during the Olympics).   Took a taxi to Windsor and had an absolutely wonderful day.   Toured Windsor Castle,  ate at terrific little restaurants and shopped in the delightful village shops.    Taxis were quite reasonable (much less than traveling into London) and never had to worry about rushing back to catch the plane the next morning.    Perhaps this would be good for one of your layovers.

Booked a room at the Heathrow Marriott! I think for the inbound trip we will definitely be looking at hitting Windsor Castle and such!  Thanks again for all the help!

Good choice, and great plan!

You will be glad "You took it easy on yourself"!

Watch yourself at LHR!  There are a lot of "Characters" there, but nice places to shop as well!

Just to give everyone an update on how our trip went...

Our stay at the Heathrow Marriott was short lived but good still! Our flight was delayed leaving Miami so we didn't get to really get out.

Coming back however was great! I chose the Grosvenor and couldn't have been happier! We chose to have them send a car because we had all our bags. I'll just say the brand new Jags are extremely nice. And it was only 20 pounds more than a taxi. Service for being a Gold member was also nice. We were greeted when we walked into the lobby and rather than wait at reception they told us we could go up to the lounge and check in there. The concierge suggested a small pub and grill that was fabulous and within walking distance.

I just can't wait to go back to London and stay longer!

Tony

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...