8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2013 5:21 PM by anadyr RSS

Tampering?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here's the story, which I have not have seen before, but it anyone has please excuse the duplication.

My account was hacked into years ago, and I lost my low numbered standing as a result.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Tampering?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Wow!

Had not heard of any of this! 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I search the web so you don't have to

richard37075 Platinum

This actually happend to me a couple of weeks ago.  I noticed an email from Marriott confirming that I had in changed my address to somewhere in San Diego.  Well, I live in the Nashville, TN area so it was definitley not my address.

As the lady in the story did, I immediately went online, and changed my password and confirmed my points were still all there, and thankfully they were.  I then changed my home address back to the correct address.

I didn't think to call Marriott since computer glitches do happen from time to time, but now that there have been others with the problem, I think I probably should.

Thanks for posting the story.

I guess this means we need to be vigilant since identity theft is becoming more and more commonplace!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Had no idea!

Has not been seen here, but will watch out for it.  I have had my "Identity stolen twice, and it is no fun"

Would you ever believe, this is the world we now live in?

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

thanks for the info. My wife's email got hijacked, and it sent emails to everyone in her address book that we were stranded in Malaysia and need $958 (where the ahckers get this figure from stumps me) to get home. Fuuny thing, given my wacky travel schedule, noone who knows us a couple took it seriously, those who are more "casual friends" sent emails back asking why we hadnt told them we were in Malaysia. A few people even said that they were surprised we were in Malaysia. Just goes to show, scammer will do anything. We got it resolved but it took allot of effort and time.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

A good friend of mine told me just yesterday that he received a message from Marriott acknowledging the change of his email address and password. Unfortunately for him, his account was 785k  points smaller. Marriott replied that in order for them to reinstate the points that he had to report the incident as identity theft to his local police in addition to a few other hurdles that will take him hours to do.

I never had the police requirement (but then my points were OK) but I needed to have a sworn and notified letter that I was not making this up before Marriott Rewards would let me in again.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...