38 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2013 2:58 PM by trippin' RSS

Chicago, Fine Dining!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This past week was a good time to be in Chicago, especially if you wanted to dine.  The weather was cool, and you could dress in a comfortable way for Summer.

Two places really were enjoyable.  If you have more to add, please do!  Here are two impressive places:

EVEREST,

On the 40th floor of The Financial Center, not far from The Renaissance, this experience was very special.  The food was excellent, and the service was just as good.  They treated us very well and I plan to go back.

IMG_3261.jpg

The dessert was unique and memorable, as were the other dishes.  A special place for a special occasion.  I only "Celebrate" on days ending with "Y's"!

The staff was friendly and professional, I think the G.M. set the tone!

IMG_3264.JPG

Ask for Jason, he was a wonderful host!

The second place, is also great.  It was the third trip there, and all have been exceptional:

LES NOMADES,

IMG_3265.JPG

This brownstone home, next to the FF, on Ontario Street is very peaceful, and very good.  Small and formal, it is great for a relaxing dinner in The Windy City!

Enjoy Chicago, and please share with us, your recommendations!ca

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Chicago, Illinois, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
  • Re: Chicago, Fine Dining!
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

That looks like a lot of fun jerrycoin.  We will be there in October at the Renaissance Downtown and will have to add it to our plans, but do they require you to dress to the nines?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

IAHFLYR,

A jacket is required at both places.  But they are really special.  Although I wore a tie, it was not required.

Before you go, I give you names and details that might make it even better for you!

We dress up, but we do about every night.  It's not that we are special, it's we are "Old fashioned".  NO, maybe just "Old"!

IMG_3262.JPG

Edgar, our server, was wonderful!  I would request him again!

Hope this suits your needs!

Lastly, if you want a great steak, go across the Chicago River from The Renaissance to Smith & Wollensky's

IA,  Keep you wonderful posts coming!

erc Platinum

When I catch a good deal at my downtown favorite - SpringHill on Dearborn (check out Thanksgiving week rates -$95, or if you're a Res.Inn fan, which is combined with SH, $99) I enjoy the following spots, all within easy walking distance:

Weber Grill - great steaks and burgers (all meats bbq, beercan chicken were enjoyed by our diners)

Joe's Seafood - you can get good steaks, but really, at Joe's Seafood?. Even though the waiters wear tuxes, it's smart casual for the diners (and we know how I'm allergic to ties). Same group that runs Joe's Stone Crab in Miami and here's breaking news travelers, they are due to open one in DC this year. Joe's is part of the Chicago based Lettuce Entertain You founded by Richard Melman (who I met at the Restaurant Show at the McCormick Center when we were both kids and I worked for Marriott - no he wouldn't know me from Adam, so I can't get anyone a table, but I do have some worthwhile 'Second City' stories for another time).

Topolobambo - delicious (pricey) Mexican (as in Mexico Mexican), which also shares a building with Frontera (still costly but less so) and Xoco, quick serve Mexican. All tasty, all Rick Bayless concepts.I combine these outings with lunch at Potbelly across the street to average down my meal costs .

And when (although less and less so as it ages) at the Michigan Ave. Marriott, I enjoy Bandera, across the street and Grand Lux Cafe; yes, part of the Cheesecake Factory group, but I'm tellin' ya, I've eaten there at least six times and each time had a delicious meal; no, not remarkably memorable, but consistently excellent and a wonderful time, and isn't that what it's all about.

Next trip - September and I'm going to check out the Purple Pig who my local friends swear by, so I'm eager to give it a try.

Thanks for the write up and photos jerry, bon appetit

erc,

Once again, you have come up with some great sounding places!  Thanks!

Have been to none of these, and will get the list out on my next trip in August!

This is what makes traveling to Chicago, or anywhere fun.  Looking forward to the experience of trying some new places out, that I really would not have known existed.

Keep the info. coming erc!

erc I loved Weber Grill, great joint with perfectly cooked food that tastes like it came off my Weber in the backyard.   What a concept and Joe's, yummo, I had forgotten about Joe's.  Thanks for the reminder

jerrycoin there is a Grand Lux just east of the JW at the Galleria so next time you're in town check it out for something different if you're tired of Truluck's and Pappa's.

IAHFLYER,

Sounds real good!

Plan to make it down to Houston this coming Winter.

That is also good information on Weber Grill in Chicago.  Saw it, not too far from The Marriott MM, but have not eaten there.

Thanks for the info!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

jerrycoin

I am actually going to be in Chicago this weekend. If you like steak, absolutely go to Gibsons and Capital Grille. I have had absolutely delicious, excellent meals several times in both places. Each has its own unique setting and staff which is cool but the food is awesome...you will not be disappointed. Also, if you want to venture outside downtown, (btw...I love the Renaissance on Wacker) head to Irving Park and try Smoque BBQ. Excellent texas brisket!!! For breakfast, I would recommend Wildberry. It is like 3 blocks from the Renaissance. They have excellent coffee, fresh OJ, and a host of quality items from skillets to stuffed french toast that are delicious.

ks77 great information on Wildberry.  Always looking for a breakfast joint regardless if we get "free breakfast" starting on the 22nd!   Thanks for sharing.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

No problem at all! I would probably go there this weekend if I didn't have plans to try the Doughnut Vault.

HMMM Doughnut Vault, I'm going to have to explore that even though I'm not much of a doughnut fan. There must be something else to it though......................

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I am going Saturday I will report back on my findings!

ks77,

I couldn't wait till Saturday for you report so I went searching...... http://thedoughnutvault.tumblr.com/

As I mentioned not a real doughnut fella however; the PB&J at the bottom of the page I might have to try.

IAHFLYR,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Good looking place and menu!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

IAHFLYR,

The doughnut vault was awesome. They have a limited selection. They have Old Fashioned, Gingerbread "Stack", Chestnut glazed, Vanilla glazed, Chocolate glazed, seasonal Jelly, and a special of the day which was Strawberry Old Fashioned the day I went. I was with my wife and 2 friends so we got a dozen and tried almost all except for the jelly and regular old fashioned. The Vanilla Glazed was my favorite...a pillow soft texture with a very sweet glaze was absolutely delicious. It opens at 9:30 on Saturdays and closes when they sell out. We arrived at 8:45 and we were about 10th in line. By the time it opened the line was probably 75 people and wrapped around the corner. If you are downtown, have the time, and enjoy doughnuts I would absolutely recommend.

Thank you so much for the great report ks77, sounds like a great spot.  We will be at the Renaissance Downtown so it sounds like a must.  And over a weekend as well, maybe I will bring some back to the hotel and swap them out with the "free breakfast" doughnuts just to see the look on patrons faces!!!

Hey kharada46 looks like you have some competition on food writing?  What do you think trippin'?

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Haha...that's an awesome idea...when you see people grabbing them by the handful and running out the door don't be surprised!

ks77,

Sounds like a great place!

Thanks for the laugh!

trippin' Alumni Steward Member 3 Reviews

Absolutely David!    ks77, well done.  I love Chicago and my sis lives in IL. so I get there every once in awhile.  Great restaurants for sure.  Kyle - no worries man.

trippin,

Have you taken Amtrak from Michigan to Chicago?

Always wanted to go from Holland, MI to Chicago, maybe someday?

Jerry, I haven't yet but I really want to!  Yes, you should to northern Michigan firs  then Holland then Chi-town!

lol!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

IAHFLYR,

jerrycoin is the king!  I strive to be as good as he is!

That being said, very nice writeup Jerry!  Makes me want to go to Chicago even more... though the place currently on my MUST try list is Alinea!!  Followed by L2O and Hot Doug's!    

KH,

Wrote off Alinea, when I found out I had to buy a lottery type ticket to see if I won and qualified to get a reservation.  Not for me.  It may be great, and again it may not.

Too many other wonderful places to choose from.

KH, you are too kind in your posts.  You are plenty "Great", especially for your "Personal" life activities! 

Enjoy the upcoming events you have scheduled!

jerrycoin,

Really?  I didn't know that!  That's rather unfortunate...  Well, next time you're in town, you can check out a restaurant that may come close! 

Sheldon Simeon at Vintage Cave | Nonstop Honolulu | Entertainment, Events and Eating | Honolulu, Hawaii

I've never been myself, as I can't afford to shell out $600 for dinner for 2 at this point in time, but it is a goal.  Menu changes daily and is available only as a single choice prix fixe. 

Jerry, I only speak the truth!  And thank you for your well wishes!  This next month and so many weeks will be a challenge for sure, though it'll all be worth it in the end! 

kh,

Experience has taught me to avoid the "Big deal not worth it"!

Will keep your upcoming trip in mind and let us all know what we can do to contribute to your wonderful experience!

Congratulations!

Ditto on the congrats kharada46 and your soon to be spouse, awesome!

IAHFLYER,

Wonderful comment!

We all hope that KH and his new bride have a wonderful honeymoon!

Thanks IAHFLYR!  I really hope you can get your reservations on Oahu in January so we can all hang out!  After all our moving, wedding, and honeymoon chaos are over!   

Working on it, even though a trek through Tuscany in the winter has moved onto the display.....all about getting there and being smart (I've never been like that before) with the travels.  Don't count us out by any means.

Tuscany sounds like a grand time too!  That's a tough one... Hawaii is awesome, but I'm willing to bet Tuscany will be a lot more interesting! 

Yes and yes!  We love Italy and have yet to visit Tuscany and with my wife having ancestors from Bologna it might be a great time to see both and who knows what else, but who knows at this point.

David,

I have never been to Italy and am excited to go!  Bologna was originally on my itinerary, but we scrubbed it because the hotel was terrible and the transportation schedule/pricing didn't work out for us.  There's a BEAUTIFUL Renaissance in Tuscany that our wedding coordinator recently went to, only thing is you MUST have a car to get there!  It's up in the hills with little in the way of public transportation.

Luxury Hotel in Tuscany: Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa: Home

I really want to visit this place one day!  I'm hoping we can one day we can get back to Italy and visit Venice and Tuscany since we won't be going this time around. 

Anyhow, while I WANT you to come to HAWAII, I believe it's great to visit one's ancestral homeland.  That's why I looked forward to visiting Japan for the first time so much!  Now I'm hooked, but that's another story  

The Renaissance is where we'd be staying for a couple of days and then over to Bologna as well as north to Parma, then who knows.  Driving in Italy is not an issue, heck I drove the Amalfi Coast last summer and didn't put a scratch on the rental car (how I have no idea).

Hawaii is not out of the story yet, just too much going on around here right now to get all the travel plans in order with a good friend becoming a brand new B788 Captain, taking care of the kid and his wife's kitty cat while they are in SEA for a few days, golf, watching the grass grow, grilling some food for dinner.......how did I ever have enough time to go to work!  

Ah, and here I'm terrified to drive in LA!  haha!  But that's great!  That hotel is definitely on my bucket list! 

Wow, you are busy!  How ever did you have time to go to work indeed!  haha.  Well, one way or another, I'm sure everything will work out.  Actually, an awesome adventure would be to hit all the destinations in one trip!!  Want to buy a Oneworld Around the World ticket?   

What hotel in Bologna did you look into staying? 

Absolutely!  Great report.  I love Chicago but it's been awhile since I've been.  My sis always takes me to yummy places!

ks77,

Yes, great points!

Love Capital Grill (In any city), and Gibson's!

Had never heard of Wildberry.  It sounds like a great place to start the day!

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Jerry: Thanks for posting. I go to Chicago every 3 weeks or so (I lived there for 7 years, so I know my way around fairly well). All the recommendations are great. Everest is part of a frequent dining chain called "Lettuce Entertain you" (www.leye.com) and check out the list of restaurants and join if you go there often and want to earn free food. I joined when I moved there is 1993 and I still have my FF Dining card and still earn $$ that In use when my wife comes out 1-2 times a year.

I would add:

for steak: Gene and Georgetti's and Erie Street Cafe

for prime rib: Lawry's

for greek : Rodity's

Pizza: Lou Malnati's

ribs: Carson's

French: Mon Ami Gabi

70's style: RJ Grunts

Italian Village (in the loop) -  a real throwback restaurant

stelzer,

Great contribution!

Have never been to any of these, but I am sure MRI folks will be glad you shared this information with them!

I have another place that is very enjoyable, if you like "Deli" food:

chicago 3.jpg

Perry's Deli, has been featured on many food channel shows!  Very enjoyable!

As far as a beef sandwich goes:

Mr. Beef,chicago2.jpg

Another great place for a sandwich.  Finally,

"Holy Cow", I almost forgot a famous Cardinal/Cub's announcers place!  Harry Carey's, across from the RI!a

IMG_0395.JPG

Location Brand Hotel
          Chicago, Illinois, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile