13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2013 7:06 PM by dejamo RSS

Buying Gift Card at Marriott Properties

truongn2 Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

If I were to buy Marriott Gift Cards at a physical Marriott property, would I earn 10 points per dollar since I am a rewards member?

Thanks,

Ngoc

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Buying Gift Card at Marriott Properties
    deltadagger Silver 5 Reviews

YES--YES-- YES, anything you buy at the Marriott hotel gets rewards

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Doesn't it depend on which brand of Marriott hotel? I recall seeing that some brands only earn points on the room rate.

deltadagger Silver 5 Reviews

No as long as charge it to your room bill you get points -- Room service -- pay for view movies.

erc Platinum

Be careful truongn2

Bejacob is onto something  Earn Points for Rewards | Get Marriott Points unless you put your gift card on the bill of a full service property, you will not earn points.

Of course, if you purchase the gift card with a Marriott Credit Card, you would earn those points, but if you charged the gift card to your room on say a Courtyard, you only earn points for the room rate (meaning even the Bistro breakfast earns you squat - nada - zip etc).

You can call Marriott Rewards at 1 801 468 4000   or toll free at 1 800 450 4442 (but you get a robot and that's essentially worthless for this exercise) and confirm.

Welcome aboard

PS - skiadcock when you go to battle over residual spending and point value, this would seem like a good example to lead with - good luck

truongn2 Gold 1 Reviews

I see, so the key is to charge it to your room.  Thanks for all the info everyone!!

erc Platinum

Hold on, my apologies.

Oh man, I was so concerned about you buying a gift card at a CY, FFI, Res Inn or other non-full service and finding out later that you wouldn't get points, I hadn't even thought of your original question - sorry for my haste.  I doubt if you even get points for buying at a full service. Otherwise, we'd all buy $1000 worth of gift cards and then pay the gift card portion of the hotel bill with the gift cards  earning points on that charge for no actual expenditure.  NathalieF  (or ski, an expert)  please provide the definitive correct answer (Rewards center is closed for the evening). My apologies truongn2.

dejamo Platinum

Look out truongn2..........................I think erc may be on to something !

In response to your question at 8:23 pm.................

The key is to come to a Hilton !

1.jpg

erc Platinum

Ok, since I tripped over my answer, I felt obligated to call Rewards and get the straight scoop. The answer is: You do not get points for buying Marriott Gift Cards (sometimes Marriott offers a bonus promotion on Marriott.com - but that's another topic). Like I wrote above, if you have and use a Marriott credit card, then you would get those points from the credit card deal, but unlike buying a meal at a full service property, if you were to put a gift card on your bill, you would not get points for that purchase of the gift card. (andy - feel free to confirm, so truongn2 doesn't think all Insider responses are as confusing as this one was).

Sorry for the around the elbow to get to the thumb answer.

Also, as an added point - both numbers for Rewards I posted; 1-801-468-4000  and 1-800-450-4442 start off with the robot (and give you a worthless answer, describing the policy above regarding points at full service vs. others, but not describing 'qualifying' purchases) - like many of the 800 CS numbers, just keep repeating "Agent" and the machine eventually sends you to a human.

And dejamo, I've asked you several times to first secure authorization from my agent prior to posting my headshot - thank you.

dejamo Platinum

I asked your agent for authorization, and he granted it for this headshot,  and any others from your younger days,  before you were famous and on the "A" list.

He would not tell me (despite some serious incentives I offered), what the "A" stood for in "A" list.

I personally,  have people on my "A" list,  but I know what my "A" stands for.

It was all very confusing,  much like when I used to drink the kool-aid here.

erc Platinum

Just as I thought,  I need a new agent

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

This was the time I got my gift card.

Re: Is the Marriott Gift Card Promotion Happening This Year?

There were constraints on getting points on these and one had to enter their Marriott number at the time in order to get the extra points weeks later.

This offer would be the only time that I know of that the extra points would be given except for purchasing with the Marriott Visa card.

I use my e-cheques first since I still have a few left, and then put the rest of the balance on the gift card, and I've always gotten points for both transactions.

truongn2 Gold 1 Reviews

OK - understood.  And wow - thanks everyone for being thorough with answering this question!!

dejamo Platinum

Yup......................clear as mud !

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...