4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2013 9:02 PM by tiltmonroe RSS

Best Hotel for Holiday Travel Using Points

cdrake Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm looking for some suggestions/opinions for the top domestic hotels to visit between the Christmas and New Years Holiday.

I am a platinum member and will be staying on points.  Will be traveling with wife and 9-month old son.  Largely looking for leisure/relaxation (not too much activity with a 9-month old) but also not interested in merely spending an entire week in a secluded hotel, so bonus points for activity selections.

Prefer warmer to cooler climates...but if you have a good cold-weather suggestion I am open.

Will be traveling from the Pittsburgh, PA area and can fly or drive, so location (other than being domestic) is not a huge hindrance.

Thanks in advance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Best Hotel for Holiday Travel Using Points
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

cdrake,

If you decide to drive over flying you may want to consider some of the properties in Northern VA/DC area.  There are so many numerous things to see in Northern VA and DC plus lots of great restaurants and shopping.  There are many great hotels in Northern VA area that are Category 4 & 5 properties so you wouldn't have to use as many points.  One of my favorite areas is the Tyson's Corner area and also Crystal City.  You may even want to consider National Harbor, MD which has a Gaylord property (cat 6) and a nice Residence Inn (cat 5) next to it.  Each year the Gaylord property has special events for kids around Christmas time.

December is also a nice time to visit the Orlando area and usually you can find inexpensive direct flights there.  There are not as many tourists there that time of year and there are lots of nice resorts/hotels to choose from and there are plenty of attractions and sites to see in addition to the theme parks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

curiousone Platinum

Winter time in Phoenix, what else do I need to say? That is obviously the high season here, so the rates will be high. There are many Marriott's to chose from in the Phoenix area. At the top end, the JW Desert Ridge is always good along with the JW Marriott Camelback.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

benmiller016.jpgOne of our favorite spots to "hang out", enjoy the great food, rusticl, but charming, atmosphere of a converted woolen mill into a country inn is the Ben Miller Inn, Goderich, Ontario.I have taken these pictures - and others - over several years of visiting here.

Ben Miller Inn - along stream.jpgDining at the Ben Miller beside the adjacent stream is a refreshing delight, and snuggling into a warm feather bed at night, awaking to a hearty breakfast buffet are all part of the experience.

Fred

tiltmonroe Platinum

cdrake,

Echoing the DC recommendation. We prefer the Marriott Key Bridge across from Georgetown. Plenty of excellent food and entertainment options.

if you are looking for something a little more secluded consider the Washington Marriott Wardman Park.

TM

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...