4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2013 3:16 PM by iahflyr RSS

Cape Air

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My only funny (there have been other not so funny events on other flights) Cape Air adventure, started on a hot and humid August day at Hyannis Airport (HYA) on Cape Cod,  I was bound for Boston (BOS), a nonstop, and boarded the ten seater. The cabin was separated from the cockpit by a curtain that could not have stopped even a good wind, but that was pre-9/11.  Pilot and copilot looked to be under 21, but that's OK--better reflexes. 

We're buckled in and copilot leans over, says to us, "Hey folks, we're going to make a short detour to the Vineyard, everybody OK with that?"

As passengers it was a rhetorical question, since he could fly and we could not.  We all nodded yes.

The flight was almost as long a taxi as it was in the air.  We landed and one soul came aboard.  The curtain was still open and I heard the pilot speaking to the copilot in sotto voce, "Hey, do we have a card for gas here? Gonna be tight to get to Boston." (he used the New England/JFK broad A, as in Baaastan, when he spoke)

At that point we decided that we might have to take up a collection, just to be safe. He found something and we gassed up, thankfully.

We made it to Boston, via good old Cape Air, and that's the story.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Boston, Massachusetts, USA The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, Boston Common
  • Re: Cape Air
    missgee Silver 40 Reviews

anadyr said:  " Pilot and copilot looked to be under 21, but that's OK--better reflexes."

^^^hahahahaha.  Great story, anadyr.

A week ago, today, I noticed a nervous-looking young man at the Cape Air desk in San Juan.  As I watched him walk out to a plane I said to my husband "That better not be our pilot."  Thankfully, I watched him board with a co-pilot and no passengers, so I'm assuming he was on a training run.  lol

The flights I took this past week there were no co-pilots.  Just the pilot.  I was interested to note that the plane acted with the currents in the air much the same way that a boat will act in the water.  On the flight back from St Croix to San Juan on Monday I had a terrified woman behind me who was crying and hiding her head in her partner's underarm the entire trip.  It's too bad she didn't get to enjoy the beauty of the awesome thunderheads all around us.  lol

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Cape Air does hire the young ones. I always thought it was the inspiration for that TV Series, "Wngs," since that was apprently supposed to be ACK (Nantucket).

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

I completely referenced "Wings" when I was waiting!... and waiting... and waiting...  lol

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I am almost certain "Wings" was based on the Cape Air inspiration.

anadyr, Another fine Cape Air sharing, I just love them.

When I was doing a bunch of flying to Southwest Florida during the time my Mother was trying to recover from a massive stroke and after her passing to keep tabs on old Dad I would often take the flight to Tampa and chance to Cape Air into Ft. Myers.  Not only did it help my OnePass segments as well as miles by not taking the non-stop flights, but also allowed me to experience the tradition of Cape Air.

There this one pilot, a crusty more mature white bearded likable fella who could often be found playing his guitar between flights either down on the ramp near the plane or just out front of the terminal building.  He would play Jimmy Buffett songs any time his next flight was to Key West and if it was back to Tampa it would be a mix of eclectic music he had learned over the years of flying.  Quite a character who go to know me by name and would always put me up in the Co-Pilot seat whenever I was on his flight as we would often chat aviation things and air traffic control issues on the 50 minute trip, or maybe since he knew I also had a pilot license that if something happened to him I could get us on the ground with not much fanfare, or so he thought!

I love these stories of the good old days of air travel, sad they are almost gone except for a few fresh left overs like Cape Air.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...