67 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2013 10:46 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Best hotel in Paris for points

sidbaby1936 Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I will be visiting Paris in Oct. for my honeymoon.

Which hotel is the best one to cash your rewards points in?

What are the pros and cons of the Marriotts that are in Paris?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel
Vienna, Virginia, USA
  • Re: Best hotel in Paris for points
    erc Platinum

While you await the experts (I haven't been, all I know about Paris I learned from Pepe Le Pew) take a glance over to the right at the More Like This column. If it's still up, a post by jerrycoin, Re: The BEST place in Paris! appears to be a good start (like Bo knows baseball - jerrycoin knows Europe). Also, if you haven't tried the SEARCH box up in the upper left corner, you should browse through some of those topics that you generate - it will give you a good background for when the pros do respond (it might be awhile as they scroll through literally hundreds of reviews), you'll be able to ask good follow ups. Enjoy your trip and report back.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Erc,

You are way too kind!

I appreciate you words.  That is a great recommendation to look at previous posts!

If I had the points and it was my Honeymoon, here would be my choices:

Marriott C-E

Ren. AdT

Ren. Vendome

Ren. La Defense

Hope that helps you sidbaby, and let us all know specific questions.  We will try to help, all we can!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Paris, TX has Holiday Inn Express, Hampton, Ramada, Days Inn, comfort Inn, and a couple of others.  Not sure if they're available on points, but all are reasonably priced.  And athey all offer complimentary breakfast.

I am taking your suggestions and booking the Marriott C-E, i am open for any and all info , ideas etc... that you want to throw my way.

First hand experience and info cant be beat!! thanks once again and keep it coming

sidbaby,

First, you had better see if you can get a reservation on points!

It can be difficult.  You had better check it out ASAP.  The C-E books way, way in advance on points.

If you get a reservation, remember you can cancel, but changing could also be difficult.

As far as details, take erc's advice, and go through previous posts, specifically on The C-E.

Get back to us with questions!

Congratulations!  You are going at a wonderful time of the year!

jerrycoin,

I was able to get 5 nights at the C E with my points!!! Thanks for the quick heads up

My question is being a Gold member is it possible to get an upgrade?

Or is that easier done being a Platinum member?

If it is possible is it at the choice of the hotel manager to issue it?

How do i go about upgrading?

Any specials tricks or things that will help me improve my chance of an upgrade?

sidbaby,

Share you situation and event with Marriott Hotline, first.

Secondly, email or call the C-E, and ask explain your situation, and request an upgrade.

Others and I will give you details on what to expect at The C-E!

You made a good choice, especially if this is your first trip to Paris!

Congratulations, you are a lucky person!

I and others will give you information to suit your budget and desires!

Location Brand Hotel
              Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel

jerrycoin,

I am new to this!!!!  lol

How do i go about sharing my event on the Marriott Hotline?

Doing baby steps here , any and all help will truly be appreciated!

sidbaby,

Totally understand!

Don't hurry and give it time!  Is this your first trip to Paris?

So many of us will try to make it as easy and economical for you as possible.  You have plenty of time to work out a lot of details.  Just getting into the C-E is and accomplishment.  Just think about what you have heard about, dreamed about or whatever, and let MRI help you.  We are many people on here who respect and appreciate your situation.  Why?, because we have all made so many costly and time consuming mistakes that we wish on no-one.  If we can help you avoid any of them, it is our pleasure!

We have to laugh, or we would cry!

boldie24 Platinum 1 Reviews

See my direct response to you.  Call/email the C-E directly.  You will be rewarded.

boldie24,

Great suggestion!

Brad,

Got the pics!!! Very nice, hopefully i will be lucky also.

After i sent out the email i got a return from Quentin, he is going to try and do his best for our special stay.

Being still several months out he cant/couldnt give anything guaranteed..but promised to keep me posted and also if i had/have questions he can help me wit until our arrival.

Thanks once again

Brian

pfeif Platinum 2 Reviews

I just stayed at the Marriott C-E and I must admit I was disappointed for how many points it requires. I would recommend the Renaissance Vendome if you still have time to switch!

Pro of Marriot C-E: Location, particularly if first time in Paris as it is near the main metro line and on a bustling city street with great shopping

Cons: Its very noisy, the rooms are in need of renovations, we had multiple cleanliness issues with our rooms, and were not treated with the service I'd expect being a Platinum member

The Renaissance is in a great location as well (tucked behind a main street on a quiter block) but near Louvre, Tuileries, Rue Rivoli and much more. I have a friend who stayed there and raved about it.

Either way - Paris is a beautiful city and you'll have a blast!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

agree would do either REn adt or marroitt CE both great hotels and close to metro

I thank you both greatly for your time and info, with the help of boldie24 i sent a message to C-E, just have to wait to see if anything comes out of it.

Thanks again guys

sid,

You will here from them!

Take names and look forward to the people who help you!

Let us know how we can help with dining and touring within your budget!

jerry,

Already heard back from Quentin in regards to my stay!! Thanks to boldie24----- he got the info out to me and i emailed C-E and got a reply within 3 hours.

Its looking like Quentin is going to do the best that he can to make our trip a most memorable one.

sidbaby,

Take Quinton a little gift!

I like to take an Atlas from the US, and give to my European friends.  They enjoy seeing the expanse of the US, and being able to exactly see where a city really is.

Just a thought!

jerrycoin,

Very good idea, also thought about bringing a few items from the town/area that i live in as a thank you gift.

You guys on MRI are surley making it easier planning my trip!

sidbaby,

Good idea of "Local" gifts!

Anything is always appreciated, when it is shared with the deserving!

Good luck!

My grandfather and father always taught us, take care of those who take care of you... the reward and fulfillment makes you a better person in life!!

seastartraveler Platinum 2 Reviews

Hi:

If you want to stretch your points and are comfortable riding the Metro (which is super simple), we enjoyed our stay at the

Courtyard Paris Boulogne :

114 Route De La Reine, 46 Rue de Billancourt,

Boulogne-Billancourt, 992100 France

It is a 20 minute metro ride from the Paris La Sorbonne Station to the Jean Jaures Station in Boulogne-Billancourt on the Metro 10 line (Metro 10 line connects to many other Metro lines at different stations to get everywhere in Paris)..  The hotel is a 5-7 minute walk from the station.  It is new, clean, spacious and in a safe, lovely surburban neighborhood.  The staff was fantastic.  We were upgraded and had a wonderful room.  Each night was about 20,000 points and it was a great way to minimize the use of our points but still experience the amazing charm of Paris.  The Metro was well traveled at night and we had no issues coming back to the hotel later in the evening.  We were able to see all the top Paris sights and neighborhoods in Paris and also enjoy the rooftop bar at the hotel some evenings back at this hotel.

If you want to be right in the center of Paris, the Champs Elysee Marriott is great but I think it takes many more points per night.

Hope that helps,

Sea Star Travelers

garywhalen Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree about the Boulogne location.  My wife and I just returned from a week in Paris and we stayed at that location.  It was nice to return to a quaint Paris suburb after a day in the city.  And it took far fewer points per night.  The staff was as good as any I've had at any Marriott.

For being IN Paris the Champs-Elysee location is the best one.

Thanks for bringing this hotel/location to us.

Have never stayed there, but for a "Honeymoon", and maybe a "Once in a lifetime trip", if all goes well, there are few places in the World like the C-E!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Seastartraveler and garywhalen,

Thanks so much for posting about this hotel.  I have had my eye on it ever since it opened, and I am very excited about it.  Reading your good reviews just reinforces my enthusiasm.  Even not having ever stayed there, I'm viewing it as you do, reasonably priced Marriott in a lovely suburban neighborhood, with very doable transportation.  When the points run dry, it might just become my Paris go to place.

Thanks again, and keep the good stuff coming.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Pluto, I just got back from a week at the Courtyard  and wrote a complete review on it here. While the property is very nice and spacious, it is on the outskirts of town so if being in the center of things is important to you, look to the other properties.

I do know it's not central, and pas de problème.

kenaugustine Gold

We just stayed for 5 days at the C-E. Make sure to complete a guest relations complaint form if you have any issues. We had 3 or 4 and were not given any consideration as we did not complete this complaint form. Instead, we reported our issues directly to the head of housekeeping and the night manager which the General Manager refused to acknowledge. We won't be returning to this Marriott.

boldie24 Platinum 1 Reviews

Care to elaborate what the specific issues were?

kenaugustine Gold

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. During this time, Room Service trays and wine bottles were left in the hall of our floor for 2 days. Repeated calls to housekeeping went unanswered. In addition, the restaurant advertised as 5 star was comparable to a Hamption Inn with no line for service or a table! Finally,the hotel arbitrarily changed a bar bill to a higher amount and replaced it on our room bill without notifying us. Only the night before our checkout did I notice it. The server wrote that we had 'signed the wrong bill'. The night manager and later via email, the genral manager, promised to remove this from our bill. A month later, no change. The General Manager's response in a follow up email was that we had not filled out a formal complaint with guest relations so he felt no need to compensate us in any way for our issues. We had requested a partial refund to a lower reward tier of our points we had used for this stay. Fortunately, we went on to have an enjoyable week at the Marriott in Old Town Prague!

pfeif Platinum 2 Reviews

Kenaugustine: I had a VERY similar experience. After multiple issues (and multiple complaints to the front desk) I even talked to the Guest Relations manager and I was still met with 'oh, sorry' with no follow up.

I called Marriott corporate to complain after I returned home and they simply forwarded my comments back to the Marriott. Marriott CE Response: you should have told us you were upset and we would have fixed it (paraphrased). As if telling the front desk person and guest manager doesn't count? I was supposed to come down and fill out a form for every tiny infraction? That would have taken up a lot of my vacation! I'll never return to this Marriott.

BTW: Does anyone know if you are entitled to receive the platinum bonus points (500 points) if you stay at the Marriott using  points.  Sometimes we get it and sometimes we don't.  Wanted to make sure we are entitled to the bonus before I send in a request for missing points.  Thanks,

Sea Star Traveler

pfeif Platinum 2 Reviews

yes you are entitled to a bonus as a Platinum member. The options can vary by property, but it should always be something.

Thank you!  I will submit a missing stay request.  Appreciate your response.

Loved the Prague Marriott!

bud Gold

Agree on Prague Marriott. Stayed there a couple of times in the 90's just after renovations. Was Platinum so got upgrade etc. That Concierge Lounge was fabulous and their Breakfast Buffet was to kill for. Hope it is still the same. At the time there was a neat Renaissance Hotel just across the street, but I hear that is gone now! Had the best Hungarian Goulash in Prague!!

With regard to Marriott C-E, stayed there 3 or 4 times on Points. Rates have always been outrageous, as it tries to compete with George the V nearby. And it is THE ONLY Hotel on C-E, a claim to fame. But in recent years, VERY difficult to get on points. Las summer I was able to get the Renaissance Vendome, which is nice but cramped in every respect. Interestingly, my we stayed in a French Hotel that very building in the '80's. The Vendome location is probably the best location in Paris with access to everyplace by foot or subway. Will be in Paris in Sep 14, but my 1.7M miles have dwindled to less than 20,000 with all my Vacation travel in Europe these past 30 years! Bummer...

The Prague Marriott is still very nice, and the CL offerings are excellent.

pointjunkie Gold 2 Reviews

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!

Then, just remember (like you are going to gramma's house) you are a guest/visitor in Paris, France.

Bring along a good attitude and a smile.

A few easy words in French are also most helpful  as it will show the Parisian you're are speaking with that you are trying to not be the "ugly American".

Yes, just about everyone can speak English-just don't assume they will.

Hello! (Bon jour) Goodbye! (Au revoir) Please! (S'il vous plait )and of course Thank you! (Merci) are always a positive start.

"Where's the bathroom?" and "Do you speak english?" are also quite helpful. (Sorry, I can say the words but the spelling escapes me)

Remember, like your first visit to Disney World...you will not get to see/experience everything.

Just enjoy what you can and save the rest for another trip "someday".

Utilize the concierge desk as much as possible-they will be most helpful with directions. places to eat, etc.

Bon voyage! (and that's the extent of 3 years of High school French class 40 years ago)

pointjunkie,

So well put, and so true!

Thank-you for your post!

pointjunkie,

You layed everything out very nicely, i totally agree with everything you posted.

A little knowledge and a lot of common sense can make a good trip a GREAT trip!!

Thanks once again for your reply

Brian

bud Gold

BTW, if you plan a trip out of Paris by Car, the Road to Deauville runs very close to Giverny, Monet's Home and a beautiful place. And Deauville is a wonderful, Palm Beach-like summer resort area for the wealthy of France for Centuries. The Train Station was built in the 1860's with a direct link to Paris.

The town:  Deauville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And one of the most elegant and restful hotels (stayed few times incl last summer and will again in 2014) is: Book Luxury Hotel France, Normandy Barrière Deauville - Barrière Hotels

Enjoy Paris and France.

File:France calvados deauville hotel normandy.jpg

bud,

Nice photo! 

There are a whole lot of wonderful places to enjoy seafood, all along the coast!

Deauville, is a special place to spend some time as well as "Historic Normandy Beaches"!

I rented a car in Paris last month while I was there and drove to Giverny. It was money and time well spent, even the trip there was an adventure. Everything about the house, grounds and gardens live up to expectations. It was truly a unique experience and very close to Paris.

Mike,

Thanks for the great pictures!

Never been and I will give you special credit for driving to Giverny.  The drive outside of Paris never bothered me, but to drive in Paris does!

Again, thanks!

Having learned to drive on the streets of New York City, Paris is a piece of cake. To this day one of my greatest skills is parallel parking in two steps no matter how tight the space, not to mention being able to squeeze between double parked cars with only inches to spare.

mike,

That is an outstanding talent!

Not only to drive in these congested cities, but to be able to park in two steps is a real credit to your driving skills.  I am going to let others take me around in those cities!

Thanks for sharing!

islandtravels Gold

Hello Sidbaby,

We stayed at the C-E last year and were terribly disappointed.  If I could do it again, I would have used my points to go to the Vendome.  I was so excited to be staying at the "only 5 star hotel" on the C-E for my wife's birthday.  Nothing could be better than staying on the C-E for a special occasion right?  Turned out we were wrong.  This hotel does not deserve to be rated as a 5 star. Service and facility was below par.  Not horrible, but doesn't live up to expectations (maybe our expectations were too high?).  We did stay one night at the Paris Hyatt Vendome and THAT hotel was truly a 5 star.

Next time we will look to stay at the Marriott Vendome and hope for better service/facility

wally3433 Platinum 2 Reviews

The Vendome calls itself a "5 star hotel" on it's own website. I have not been to Paris, but we are planning a 2014 Christmas there.  I was eyeing the C-E, but now am targeting the Vendome  Ren.  The C-E appears to be getting an extra $200 a night based solely on location.  It does not seem like the Vendome is too much of a sacrifice on location and appears to be a very nice hotel.  Also like that it has a pool and steam room.

wally,

Having stayed at both hotels, you can't go wrong!  If this is your first trip I would recommend you also consider Ren. AdT!  It is just off C-E, and please just check point requirements or pricing.  These three hotels are all very good.

wally, I would also be reluctant to pay the extra $200 per night for most hotels, especially when others are within walking distance or a short Metro ride!

Let us at MRI know if we can provide more details!

bud Gold

FYI, vendome is very nice. The location is likely the best location in Paris. Go out Front Door, go left for 30 feet, turn right and go 200 feet and you are on Rue de Rivoli. Across the street is the Tuilleries.  Turn left,walk 5 minutes, voila - The Louvre! Turn left and Le Concorde Plaza is about a 3 minute walK where Champs-Elysees starts. Within 15 minute walk, are le Invalides, Notre Dame, and many other Must See sites.

BE advised the rooms are small, but very nice. TIP: if on weekend, be aware that a popular Irish Bar is right across a very narrow street and can benoisy!! High floor or opposite side room is best! Pool is in a sub-basement area, but nice.  Good, but very expensive Breakfast - about $35!!! OK if Gold or PlaTinum, since free!

bud,

Wonderful description and yes there is plenty to do in area.  People should enjoy walking from this hotel, and don't forget the lovely Opera area not far as well.  You can catch the on/off bus from Louvre easily, as well as the Metro.

This is a good choice, again, most of these places are very good!

bud Gold

OOops! Make that a Right to le Concorde!

bud,

Thanks for the heads up info, will surely take that into consideration

Brian

sidbaby and wally,

If you stay at Ren. Vendome, here are more places you can walk to that are most interesting:

IMG_2345.JPG

The Louvre is nearby!

IMG_2349.JPG

Consider avoiding the long lines and buy your tickets at this small gift shop in the basement.  You can then walk right into the museum!

IMG_1103.JPG

Cafe de la Paix, in The Grand Hotel, across from the Opera, is a wonderful place to enjoy a real Parisian sidewalk cafe!  You also can walk in the area and enjoy a host of interesting places.

KIF_0905.JPG

Place Vendome, and The Ritz are most impressive!

DSCN0098_0080.jpg

Enjoy a nice walk on Rue St. Germaine!  You can enjoy wonderful places to take a break, like Les Deue Maggots!

FH050036.jpg

On your walk to Le Pigalle, enjoy a stop at these columns!  They were in the movie "Charade"!

IMG_0301.JPG

Don't forget your "Seine River Cruise"!

Have fun guys, and let us MRI know if you have other questions!

bud Gold

HEy, Jerry,

Knock it off. I'm getting travel envy!!!! Lol

SItting having coffe at the Middleburg, OH RI, and this ain't Paris or the Ritz Dorothy! But it is OK.

NIce Pictures. Hitting Paris in Sep 14 for few days the Normandy River Cruise for week - Paris to Normandy to Paris. We have 27 West Point Classmatets and wives/so. Then off to Arromance area and deauville for 5 days with a few couples for more Normandy touring by car. really looking forward to the Trip.

BUt a first, a 10 day Cruise out of Montreal to Boston on the Seabourne Sojourn and a week after driving New England this September. A great small ship - 450 persons. Then in April 2014, River Cruise Lyon to Avignon, with a week after in Provence. an my favorite hotel in the world, Le Saint-Paul.

DId I mention my 50 Year West Point Reunion? Retirement is so boring...

WEll, off to Macatawa, MI!

bud,

Congratulations on your "Golden" Anniversary!

You really have a lot to look forward to.  The river cruise from Paris to Normandy is the way to go!  You will be able to visit, relax, have a glass on a wonderful excursion.  Make sure you take an umbrella, or raincoat!  You may need it in Normandy.

You will be in for a real experience in the Normandy area as it is rather "Breathtaking"!  Plan on enjoying some fresh seafood!  Get plenty of photo's and please share with us MRI's!

Your 10 day cruise out of Montreal to Boston sounds wonderful as well.  Never have done that "Dream cruise", so let us know how it goes.

Finally, another "French river cruise", from Lyon to Avignon, sounds historic!  Not familiar with Le Saint-Paul, so please give us more details, maybe start a whole new thread on this story!

Again hope your 27 classmates and you really enjoy the wonderful experience of Normandy!

bud Gold

Just got back from MI and catching up! Been to Normandy on 3 previous occasions staying near Mon St Michel once, in Cobourg once and in Deauville twice. Did a lot of Military History at West point, and enjoy revisiting some amazing history. Also served with the 101st Abn at Ft Campbell and in Vietnam in 65 and fun to see places that the unit and the Battalions I served in landed and fought in Normandy.

As to St Paul de Vence, here is a link:

Saint Paul de Vence (HD) - YouTube

And the Hotel Le St Paul:

5 Star Luxury Hotel in France: Hotel Le Saint Paul

Absolutely fabulous (not cheap) Hotel.

bud,

Let me, along with other MRI, thank-you for your service!

Likewise, you contributions of your French experiences are also appreciated.

Thanks for you comments, please keep them coming!

bud Gold

Thanks, but I had the better of that deal! And I am thanked on the first of every month with my generous Retirement Pay Deposit that the good citizens of this Country pay us for our service. I got more than I gave, including Army schools ( thru Industrial College of the Armed Forces), Army paid education (BS, MBA, MA, & PhD), fun schools (Airborne, Ranger, Pathfinder, Jumpmaster, etc), great Medical Care for me and my family (incl Tricare for Life now), wonderful assignments (including 6 consecutive years in 25th Inf Div IN HAWAII!!!), and some of the finest friends a person could ask for (a week ago I visited with a Classmate and wife in Michigan - I met the Classmate in March 60 taking the West Point Exams, and met his wife in 1967 when we "chaperoned" his then girlfriend on a visit to him at Ft Ord. She had a very proper Mom. Lifelong friends!) And I got a great job with a new Privately-owned Government Contractor after Retirement based upon my Military experiences/edumacation and helped him build a company which I had a piece of over 19 years that we sold in 2005 to Northrop Grumman for $323M!!!! Life is good!

Who got the better of my Service??? No brainer, but thanks...

PS Support our Troops and our Wounded Warriors. They are as great a generation as our my father and his WWII Patriots were!

PPS My approx. 25-30 annual European vacations are all due to that post-retirement gig! We liked travel. <g>

Location Brand Hotel
              Vienna, Virginia, USA

Bud,

Sounds like a great life and most interesting!

Thanks for your input!

Please keep the suggestions coming!

surfingbyrd Platinum 2 Reviews

we believe the Ren Vendome is best for many reasons--quiet, close to many attractions and to where many tours start and end, great shopping and many choices and range of prices on restaurants, cafes, etc.  Once we figured things out, almost everything you want to see is within a 25 minute walk.  Stayed 7 days last year, planning 8 days next year.

surfingbyrd,

Thanks for your input.  I have stayed there and it was pleasant.  There are lot of great choices in Paris.

markwentis Member

In fact, the Marriott hotels are great, but you might find a good deal without points.

Try http://crispy-hotels.com/. As there is a lot of competition you might have good luck with a nice deal.

Especially helpful on short notice.

krjennings Platinum

Hi, I'm new to the site and very happy to have found it.  Next June my husband and I are going to Paris for 3 nights and London for 2 before a wedding in Oslo.  I was and am very happy to have gotten point reservations at the C-E in Paris.  But after reading all the posts about the C-E I am getting nervous, should I try and switch?  This our first big trip without the 3 kids and I we are very excited and want it all to be as perfect as possible.  Thanks

krjennings,

First of all welcome to the site, and congratulations!

Next, having stayed at The C-E a number of times I think your family and you will really enjoy it!

To make things more "Comfortable for you", make sure you contact the hotel directly, introduce yourself, indicate your situation, and ask that they support your needs, (Within their guidelines).  If you like it, go for it!

You should have a wonderful time!

You let us know if we can help you with any details

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...