7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2013 12:00 PM by kharada46 RSS

Flying memories: Mesa to Los Alamos

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Years ago I took the DASH 7 to Los Alamos, New Mexico using Mesa Airlines. Los Alamos Airport (LAM) is now owned by the county but in the past it existed solely to cater to the folks inside the fence at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, home of the first nuclear bombs during World War II.  I had a scheduled meeting with the lab director, and was going to be in Albuquerque (some 96 miles away) anyway visiting an installation there, and was coerced into taking a Mesa Airlines de Havilland DASH 7.

The remaining passengers were lab folks, heading home.  I was the lone outsider and seated with a clear view of the landing gear, including one very bald tire facing me on the double wheeled landing gear as we rolled onto the active runway.

I mentioned it to my seatmate, who said with a grin, "The other one next to it has a lot of tread on it."  And so I left my fate to the one good tire, to Mesa Airlines, and the fates.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Albuquerque Marriott
  • Re: Flying memories: Mesa to Los Alamos
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

There is something to be said about having two tires attached to each landing gear strut, even for Mesa!  I have an acquaintance that I used to work with and his wife flew for Mesa before landing her job with Continental Airlines long ago.  Mesa and their gold, green and white livery on those Dash 7's and B1900's.

Fates are great and thanks for the story.....but I'm going to have to drop another in on the aviation geek thread!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Anadyr,

4 props.  Pretty cool.  I looked for a photo of a dash 7 with Mesa colors, but couldn't find one (not that I could post it here).  The good news is, I looked at so many photos, I've now memorized a new (to me) aircraft.  I think they're very cool.  With their 4 propellers. Mhmm.

And thanks for the heads up on this post, there, Texas Tower Boy (IAH).

Btw, you might be creating a monster, you do realize that, right?  Have you read these:

Funny Pilot - ATC Conversations — Civil Aviation Forum | Airliners.net  (I chuckled heartily at the first one.)

LMAO....Texas Tower Boy, I love that and may start to use it.  However; my last few years were taken up with being a mole in a dark cool room working RADAR, so I was a mushroom!  Yes I loved seeing the airplanes from the tower and annoying arrogant pilots by telling them where to go!

I have seen that piece of work an a.net, and can probably find you some really funny things off youtube to listen to if I spend the day listening to them soon.  Funniest thing is they are all true and if you miss it on the radio you simply can't reenact the fun and laughter.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Texas Towers were used in the Cold War as early warning radars before the Cape Cod Network was established of Gap Fillers manned by the USAF (See Stepping Stones for more information)

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Wow... that sure does sound like the Mesa I know!  Actually, Mesa Air in Hawaii is a much hated organization (though you'd never know it by the tons of people that fly them because of the low price).  Through their subsidiary go!, they pushed Aloha Airlines (AQ) out of business.  While they didn't get slapped for predatory pricing (exactly what happened... $30 fares?!), it was later revealed that Mesa's CEO had stated that his intention was to push AQ out of business so he could later jack up the prices. 

Then go! had negative press for having pilots fall asleep and completely miss Hilo airport.  And of course there was their attempt to buy AQ's name and branding rights, though that was thankfully stopped by the bankruptcy court! 

go, would never think of spending a penny on them....and how does one fall asleep flying inter island trips in first place.  Geez

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Exactly!  Apparently go!/Mesa was over working their pilots?  Obviously in attempt to keep costs down since the closure of AQ meant there were a lot of unemployed pilots at the time!  Interesting enough, I remember Etihad heavily advertising in the local paper for pilot positions following AQ's closure....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...