7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2013 6:42 PM by touchtheflame RSS

Language on Guest Satisfaction Surveys differs from Marriott Rewards member profile

touchtheflame Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have been a Marriott Rewards member since 2001, and been either Gold or Platinum since 2004.  I previously lived in British Columbia, Canada, and in 2007, moved to Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.  My language preferences with Marriott have always been set to English, and never to any other language.

Periodically, I receive guest satisfaction e-mails following stays at hotels.  I have noticed that since 2007, I have been receiving these e-mails in French (with the exception of one sentence saying you can click here to participate in the survey in English - though the e-mail heading, along with the entire message, is all in French only), not withstanding the fact that my language preference is set to English.  After having been irritated by this one too many times, I contacted Marriott through their social media team.  They stated that based on my postal code in Ottawa, the system defaults all survey communications to French, even though Marriott knows (and should know) my communications preference is set to English.  Furthermore, although there are indeed French speaking people in Ottawa, English is still the language most used in the province of Ontario, and French is by no means the "default" language in Ottawa.

To me, this seems absurd.  What is the point of setting your communications preference to English, when Marriott's poorly-designed system unilaterally decides what language the member should receive e-mails in?  I was told by the social media team that there is no way to change this, even though a member might not speak the language that the computer system thinks I should be speaking.  I think I know what language I speak better than some computer algorithm that Marriott's genius computer engineers use, and actually find this personally offensive and insulting to be told that nothing can be done about it.  Guest Relations at Marriott has been equally unhelpful in resolving this issue (and in fact, the agent I spoke to has been by far the most condescending, disrespectful and rude person I have ever dealt with in the 12 years I have been a Marriott Rewards member).

Did anyone at the executive level at Marriott not think this through before implementing this absurd policy of overriding one's set language preference on the whim of some computer algorithm that purportedly knows what language I communicate in better than myself?  I'd love to hear your feedback on this.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Language on Guest Satisfaction Surveys differs from Marriott Rewards member profile
    missgee Silver 40 Reviews

That's just bizarre.  Imagine if they did that on the phone options?  You know... press 1 for English; press 2 for French.... and then they still speak to you in french because.... by their analogy.... you live in an english-speaking city but it's near a french-speaking one.  LOL

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Language on Guest Satisfaction Surveys differs from Marriott Rewards member profile
      touchtheflame Platinum

Exactly.  I really do hope that they rectify this problem.  I can't see how it would have been difficult to program their system to use the language in that member's profile, rather than arbitrarily deciding what language to use based on postal codes.  It seems like either programming option would have been just as simple, yet they chose the one that would cause problems instead of the logical one.

erc Platinum

You would probably stand a better chance of getting a response if this was posted on Facebook. The Marriott associates for responding here are in a difficult position (as in responding to whether or not any executive thought through an absurd policy) and are often left out to hang and dry, but on Facebook in front of "the public" you will most likely get a "please send us a private address where we can contact you" (and they will) and you'll most likely get a response (not necessarily an acceptable answer - but a response).

Welcome aboard - you've just touched the tip of the iceberg as it relates to peculiar practices (like having an Advance Pay AAA rate $200 more than another, cancellable AAA rate on the exact same Marriott.com pricing grid). Come on in, the water's fine!

touchtheflame Platinum

Thanks for your feedback and the welcome.  I did initially use Twitter to get their attention, but was able to reach a senior executive within Marriott Rewards through an internet search.  I have written to him and look forward to hearing what he has to say about this.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

That really seems like a power play of some kind, doesn't it?

They pretty much use the same game with the promos by giving 2 or 3 certificates with a few stays and ignoring the fact that some people prefer the points that don't expire and are more flexible.  I've been told that this tactic is to make my husband and me stay in more hotels than just the one that we stay in 365 days a year.  We had 395 stays last year which is 30 more at other places than just the one.  We've all been told on this site that it would be too hard for them to let us choose our own reward.  That's just BS.  (Pardon my French.)    All they have to do is to not choose anything and let us sign up on our own until the last month of the promo, IMHO.

Same thing with the bistros.  The CY head says they conducted a survey, but nobody on this site (nor in their companies when some asked around) were ever contacted.  (It seems it was hinted that the board room was the place the survey was taken.)

Oh, and even though living at a RI for 3 years, they still can't let us have any local calls to call the doctor or anything since RI and TPS are exempt from that.

So, it looks like Marriott might just let themselves be ruined by a non-functional "programming dept.", board room, or whomever it is that deserves the credit / blame, because it's not making us customers very happy, and they used to know that the customers were the important ones.

touchtheflame Platinum

I agree with the bistros at Courtyard.  I'm not fond of that concept, and miss the breakfast buffets.  If the competition is smart and is reading up on all of our comments on what frequent travelers actually appreciate in a hotel and its loyalty program, they stand to lose a lot of business - especially in this day and age of social media, where negative attention gets out faster than ever before.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I just found something else that really bothers me.  I've posted about this before.

In my husband's account "Personal Account Summary", someone has had the nerve AGAIN to post our trip inspiration as below:

L---, destinations inspired by your travel interests...

New York City

We have no interest in going there.  My husband has worked there and isn't interested in going again.  To us, there are plenty of large cities to go to without all the hassle of NYC.

Our travel places include places like Myrtle Beach; Hilton Head; Charleston; Savannah; the Keys; St. Augustine, FL; Gatlinburg; Dallas / Ft. Worth (where we're from); San Antonio; Blowing Rock, Raleigh, New Bern, Emerald Isle, and Highlands, NC.  None of them are remotely like NYC and it irks me that someone who obviously doesn't know us is saying they do. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...