8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2014 7:38 AM by rinny54 RSS

Help me choose a NYC Marriott for my family vacation!

chautauquany Gold 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We have a choice between these 3 Marriott properties for a stay on August 9-14:  NY Marriott Eastside, Residence Inn Manhattan Midtown/East and Fairfield Inn Manhattan/5th Avenue.  We are 3 adults and one child.  We will be doing the typical NYC things (from Central Park to South Street Seaport) as 3 in the party have never been in NYC.  We are staying on points and I am Gold elite member.  All 3 have at least a mini-fridge (for drinks) and I want to make sure we all have a place to sit, besides the bed.  I have read reviews on Trip Advisor and am still unsure.  I like the location of Eastside, but the new Residence Inn above is just around the corner.  Which place will wow the 3 NYC newbies?  I haven't stayed in those locations, only Marriott Marquis--and once waited 45 minutes for an elevator, so I won't be going back.  Your thoughts would be appreciated!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA
  • Re: Help me choose a NYC Marriott for my family vacation!
    carriej11 Platinum

I love, love, love the Marriott East Side. The location is perfect, and for the points and the other hotels you are looking at, the Marriott East Side is full service.  I have stayed at all three.  The Fairfield Inn is small. It's clean, brand new and the location is... ahem... not ideal--I mean, I think it's a few steps away from a probation facility (convicted felons report back for probation--unless I'm confusing my properties).  The Residence Inn is nice, but it's nicer to stay at full service (unless you can get a 1 bedroom suite at the Residence Inn).  The coin toss between the two is which one is going to give you a bigger room?  I'm Platinum for over 8 years, and I only got upgraded once at the Marriott East Side (and I had to beg for it...and I stay there at least four times a year).  So long as you get a double with a pull out sofa, it will be big enough (not all rooms have a pull out sofa). My vote is the Marriott East Side. You're next to the 4/5/6--and Smith & Wollensky's for a nightcap. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Have not stayed at The Marriott East Side, and will respect that opinion.  However, with 3 adults and one child, please consider a two room suite at the RI.  The money you will save on breakfast or bringing your own food in might save your group over $100 per day!

Good luck!

vlad Silver 10 Reviews

Of course the new Residence Inn! I've inspected it.

You can stay in a suite (1 living room with sofa bed & 1 bedroom) it'll be more comfy for the family.

The also benefit - free breakfast.

I stayed in Courtyard Manhattan East Side. Not a large rooms. but clean & bright. There is a indoor pool there. But the breakfast better have right around the conner upper by the street (forgot the name of a caffee) not in the hotel.

Also I've stayed in Renaissance Times Square. Nice hotel but almost the same problems with the elevator. )

fedupplt Platinum 33 Reviews

Marriott East Side!! By far one of Marriott's better properties. The staff (particularly in the concierge lounge) is phenomenal. Full breakfast every day, and the spread they put out in the evening will make you want to stay.

Great location.

Two votes for Eastside and 2 for RI--and that means Fairfield Inn is OUT.  I prefer sleeping on a bed for 5 nights vs a pull out, and all of you suggested that more room could be had with a pull out, which makes sense, as it gets folded up during the day.  So I think I need to ask the couple that would be on the pull out how they feel about that (a very young, just adult, couple). From what I have read, Eastside concierge lounge has an outside terrace, which would be nice in the summer, but when I called, they said there was no terrace. ??  Make our own food at RI or the evening spread at Eastside....still a tough decision, especially since they are close together.  Having been to a conference at Eastside, it has an old world feel about it vs cookie cutter Fairfield.  So you have helped me to eliminate one and I need to gather information from the couple to decide on the other.  With my points, the only way I can get a suite at the RI is to get upgraded, but I think they are full during that time period, so that may not be an option.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I tend to choose my hotels in NYC based on where I want to be located and the price.

I stay at the Eastside when I will be spending more time uptown, e.g. Rockefeller Center, Met, Lincoln Center, or getting Visas at Consulates.  The rooms are smaller there, but there is a nice lobby and lobby restaurant which makes it easier to minimize the time in the room

I stay at the Residence Inn on 6th between 38th-39th when I arrive by train at Penn Station as its walking distance from Penn station, and when I want to shop Broadway.  I love walking down 6th to Broadway, all the way to Canal.  Great shopping.  Its also an easy walk to Time Square and broadway theaters.  I love the roons that make me feel like I have a pied d'terre.  They all have kitchens, but the corner rooms have the nicests layouts and kitchens, and also fabulous views of the Empire State Building or Bryant Park.  There was plenty of room for 4 people.  My sister and I slept on the bed, and my niece and nephew (both taller than us) had the pull out couch.  There is a bodega across the street so I stock the fridge with drinks, juice, cereal etc which really cuts down on how much we spend on food.  My niece had a yen for spaghetti one night and ran out and picked up the ingredients at the bodega and cooked up some.  And my favorite Hallal vendor is right around the corner where you can get chicken, lamb or Falafel served with rice and salad for $5.

But the price on the RI can go as low as $150 and as high as $300.  So when its at the higher end of the range, I go to the FFI on 28th between 6th and 7th ave.  The rooms are quite nice on the front side with a great view of the empire state building.  Since you need 2 beds, all these rooms are on the back side of the hotel, and wouldn't have the spectacular view the rooms in the front of the hotel do which have just 1 large bed (can't remember if its a queen or king).  I have actually stayed at this property for < $100 in Jan.  I really like I can walk from Penn station, and 28th street is filled with stores that sell flowers so even in January there are flower blooming everywhere (I have a photo album of pictures of this property).  When I stay here I really enjoy shopping Broadway, China town and Little Italy.  Its not so convenient for Broadway theaters, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, the Met etc.

I have also found very good prices at the Carlton on 28th and Park (just a couple of blocks down the street from the FFI), but its an autograph property so I didn't get alot of my Marriott perks.  Also the rooms were small, my platinum upgrade room had a view of an inner courtyard and a trash bin.  But even when all the other properties have raised their rates, I usually can still find reasonably price rooms at the Carlton.

This summer I tried the Essex House and really liked it.  Had to be uptown near Central Park to go to Ziegfield's. Beautiful property, comfortable room but didn't spend much time in it, as it really wasn't setup to have people in, so instead we met in the lobby had drinks in the lobby bar, etc. Prices were higher than other properties but considering its 1 block away from the Ritz and on the park, its a great deal at 1/2 to 1/3rd of the price of the Ritz.

Just to update, I called both the RI and Eastside to help make my decision on a hotel.  RI could give me a one bedroom or 2 bedroom, but the cash to upgrade from my points was crazy.  At the Eastside, I was able to talk to a room manager, and told her that I'd be willing to pay for an upgrade to go with my points, but that I wanted a large room.  She had a corner room, with 2 double beds + a pull out couch for a not much extra per night!!  We took that.  Their CL is not open Friday nights (when I arrived) thru Monday.  The terrace outside the CL looked beautiful, but it was being worked on and wasn't open.  The food offered through the CL meant we had breakfast for 3 days, and their afternoon snacks included a salad, + appetizer that was big enough for a small entree.  So one night we didn't even go out for dinner--we had walked 6 hours with a NYC Greeter and didn't have the energy.  The Eastside location is very close to the RI, but the food supplied to us, along with the couch and huge room, made this a good choice for us.  I know I lucked out on getting such a huge room.  BTW, I went on line (a Trip Advisor hint) to get a 50% off coupon for the garage and saved 50% on parking from the Marriott charges.  Of course, I could have parked in Montclair, NJ and taken the train into town, but it just sounded like too much of a hassle this trip.  Thanks for all of your ideas for me to consider.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...