15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2013 9:29 PM by travelmavenflorida RSS

What are sights worth seeing in Salzburg, Austria

sidbaby1936 Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I will be in Salzburg the first week of Oct. for the start of my two week honeymoon.

Open to any and all ideas and tips on tours, sightseeing, places to eat etc..

Love adventure and trying new things and rubbing elbows with the locals.

Do you have any does and donts for Salzburg?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What are sights worth seeing in Salzburg, Austria
    sg1974 Gold

When we were there a few years ago we went on the sound of music tour:

http://www.panoramatours.com/de/salzburg/tour/tour-1a-original-sound-of-music-tour-27/

i think that is the tour we went on. There is some nice scenery on the tour.

The fortress is good: http://www.salzburg-burgen.at/en/hohensalzburg/hohensalzburg/index.htm

great view from there.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

sidbaby,

Have only been to Salzburg once.  I did not encounter enough for me to justify spending one week there.  You will need to consider "Day Trips" to places like Munich or Innsbruck. 

Just my thoughts.  To my knowledge, there are no Marriott properties there.

Do you have another alternative place to go?

I have several trips/tours lined up.

One crossing over into germany going to the Obersalzburg area and Berchtasgaden area..Plus a full day on Lake Konigsee!

Just trying to fill in the blanks and spare time, thank you for your reply and info

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Salzburg Old Town

Untersburg Cable Ride (Maria's Mountain)

Wasserspiele Hellbrunn

Salzburg Cathedral

Hellbrunn Castle/Palace

Salzburg Fortress, like Sg suggests.

St. Peter's Cemetery

Mirabell Palace and Gardens (mainly the gardens, which are free)

St. Peter's Abbey

The Franciscan Church (Fransikanerkirche)

All worthwhile.

I liked the Restaurant Reidenburg, but it's not in the city center, so you'd need a car.  I also liked Nabucco, but then we always gravitate toward Italian food no matter what country we're in.

If you go to Garmisch in the German Alps, visit Ettal Abbey (and don't miss the inside), and you must dine at La Vie.  Tell Gabriella that Neil & Susan's sister referred you, and she'll take good care of you.  And if you do make it to Garmisch, you may as well visit Neuschwanstein Castle in Fussen and Linderhof Castle not too far from Garmisch.  Both are neat castles.  See if you might need to make ticket reservations over the internet in advance, however.  Garmisch is really beautiful.

sidbaby,

Please take what pluto says "Greatly"!  She knows her stuff!

Garmisch is wonderful!  Here's why:

IMG_2848.JPG

La Vie, is where I spent my Birthday dinner in December 2012!

IMG_2843.JPG

Shops are really great in Bavaria.  See some of the MRI posts on Garmisch, Munich, and Bavaria!

Have a wonderful trip!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Jerry, that is a great photo of you two.  What a small world.  My brother-in-law and sister and I had separate plans while in Garmisch, but he told me that he required me for a certain night to dine with a friend of his - Gabby (from their college traveling days) at her restaurant.  It turned out to be La Vie!  We dined with her, her son, brother and wife and their mother, and they were SO delightful, as was the food.  They own 3 restaurants and a conference center in Garmisch.  Very lovely family.

sg1974 Gold

If you plan to visit Germany also then I would go to Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau castles.

They are well worth the trip.

http://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/palace/

https://www.hohenschwangau.de/430.html

Thoroughly enjoyed our visit here. We visited whilst we were staying in Munich. We caught the train to Fussen then bus to Hohenschwangau.

sg,

Great suggestion!

Also, Oberammergau is another wonderful place to visit, while in Bavaria!

IMG_2857.JPG

Great Shops in Oberammergau!

HPIM0105.JPG

King Ludwig's Castle is another wonderful place to visit in Bavaria!

Have a great time!

vlad Silver 10 Reviews

I have been visited Salzburg earlier.

Very quiet, cozy and beautiful old town.

But it seems to me, more than 2 days, there is nothing to do.

Boat's walk with lunch along the river, the old center, Mozart museum, the castle on the hill, the salt cave  .... You can see them in 1 day.

There is no Renaissance Salzburg anymore. This hotel has moved to the management of another hotel chain.

Me and my girlfriend stayed in Vienna, and from there you can get to Salzburg by train.

Here in Vienna you can find a lot to see!

Palaces: Schönbrunn (which is also worth visiting the Royal zoo, one of the oldest in Europe), the Belvedere with a permanent exhibition of original paintings by Klimt, Hofburg - the Royal palace of the Habsburgs, with its treasure trove.

Albertina gallery, Museumsqauarter with the famous Leopoldsmuseum, Vienna State Opera (Wiener Staatsoper).

For dinner, I advise you Kursalon (where you can also listen to music and concerts), just opposite the Marriott Vienna in Shtads Park. A wonderful place!

Sights of Vienna can be found here: Tourist attractions in Vienna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Salzburg here: Salzburg (state) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And of course, if you prefer the Marriott, Vienna is your city!

Luxurious hotels right in the center:

The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna 5*****

Vienna Marriott Hotel 5***** (stayed there 2 years ago in May)

Imperial Riding School Renaissance Vienna Hotel 5*****

Renaissance Wien Hotel 5 *****

P.S.
    From Vienna you can also visit Budapest & stay ther in Marriott Budapest - great location & the view!

Have a great honeymoon )

Best wishes!

Vlad,

I wish i would have joined this very helpful site(MRI) sooner, you presented numerous ideas i never considered...Thats why i decided to join here, all kinds of good advice from seasoned travelers !!

You definately have a good grip on planning a good vacation and filling your days with plenty of activities to make your trips most memorable and enjoyable..Thanks once again for all info

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

travelmavenflorida Silver 5 Reviews

Anything and everything to do with Mozart- it's Wolfgang's city and there are some lovely churches, too.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...