1 2 3 249 Previous Next 3,733 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2017 2:28 PM by ks77 RSS

Aviation Geeks Unite!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Since IAHFLYR, trippin', pluto77, and a few others have been having sporadic aviation discussions in threads that have nothing to do with aviation, I thought I'd at least steer those discussions into it's own discussion thread.  communitymanager, perhaps we can start an aviation enthusiast group?  In the mean time, this will be our home for all things aviation! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Seattle, Washington, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Seattle Marriott Waterfront
Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center
Maui, Hawaii, USA
Kauai, Hawaii, USA
Oahu, Hawaii, USA
Hawaii, USA
Molokai, Hawaii, USA
Lanai, Hawaii, USA
Santa Clara, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Santa Clara Marriott
Houston, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Houston Airport Marriott at George Bush Intercontinental
  • 1. Re: Aviation Geeks Unite!
    trippin' Alumni Steward Member 3 Reviews

Yes!  That would be awesome!  While I don't own a plane or have my pilot's license, I still love them!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Aviation Geeks Unite!
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I love it....great idea Kyle.  Bet anadyr, nuhusker and jerrycoin would enjoy it as I am sure his insights and take on things will be wonderful.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Aviation Geeks Unite!

Here we go geeks!!

I was fortunate enough to meet my best friend (other than the little Mrs) 28 years ago as our backyards met at the property lines.  He a former pilot for an oil company and just starting with a bankrupt airline flying as a First Officer (FO) on a B727.  We shared a love for flying and I'd rent us a little airplane and off we'd go, great fun but not nearly as much fun as watching an airline pilot try to land a single engine plane.

Since we were both worked in the same industry, I as an air traffic controller would often find him on the radio as he'd leave or arrive in Houston and we became very good friends in and out of work.  I've seen him move from the B727 FO to his worst career move flying an A300 as an FO then getting his senses back and was one of the first pilot classes trained in the airlines brand new B757's as an FO, then moving to Captain of the great airplane then making a switch to the B737 to be one of the airlines Check Airmen that qualifies their pilots of that fleet and finally Captain of the worlds largest two motor jet the B777.

Over the years the bankrupt airline turned it all around and became on of if not the best until something called a merger occurred.  I have been blessed to be able to fly with him in and occupy the jumpseat on the flight deck as well as have him as the Captain on flights when my wife and I were passengers.  His last flight on the B737 was in a -800 from IAH-MIA-IAH leaving IAH at 0730 and arriving home at 1325 that afternoon.  It all worked out where ATC kids could once again ride on the flight deck, something that was taken away by the events of 9-11, so I got to enjoy that flight with him from the flight deck.  What a great time and we even had time in MIA to get a Cuban sandwich near the gate.  Here are a few pictures from the flight deck that awesome day:

IMG00153-20111018-0828.jpg

Heading east over the Gulf of Mexico in the morning sun.

IMG00163-20111018-0903.jpg

Starting to see what the west coast of Florida had in store for us soon.

IMG00171-20111018-1256.jpg

I hate storms and it doesn't look good ahead!

IMG00172-20111018-1306.jpg

Don't want to fly across the top of that thing, but not even a bump as we approached MIA.

IMG00165-20111018-1124.jpg

She sits getting ready to go back home to IAH.  We tried to get that name washed off on the way home but it didn't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEifC1xQGD0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEd9OLytqEQ&list=HL1371052681

IMG00166-20111018-1209.jpg

All that red but perfect navigation around the storms and great landing in Houston.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpfGswN22rw

I look forward to others aviation stories and experiences.  Thanks for reading.

• 4. Re: Aviation Geeks Unite!
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Boy that is a challenge that will require a lot of thought!!!

• 5. Re: Aviation Geeks Unite!

Thanks for sharing David!  What an experience! 

• 6. Re: Aviation Geeks Unite!
    trippin' Alumni Steward Member 3 Reviews

David, great story and pics!  I wouldn't want to maneuver around that storm, it looked pretty rough!!

• 7. Re: Aviation Geeks Unite!
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Neat story and photos.  I will have to remember to check out the you tube tonight.

I don't really have any aviation stories.  I did get a full glass of tomato juice dumped in my lap while I was asleep on my airberlin flight from Dusseldorf to Munich last month.  (Does that count?)  The aircraft was a 319,320 or 737, I can't remember.  The flight from NUE to TXL was a Q400 though (which kind of surprised me).  It didn't come with tomato juice.  Or coffee, unfortunately (and at 6:00 in the morning!)  And the transatlantic flights were A330's, my first time on any of those.  It was just like flying in a 747.  It looked like they were either fairly new aircraft or else outfitted with all new interiors, nice new seats and PED's.  The food was unremarkable in economy class, but the service was excellent on all flights.

And I lost a brand new sweater on the jet bridge.  I didn't discover it missing until I disembarked the aircraft in Munich, and so I asked the FA about it, and she said they found it on the jet bridge back at Dusseldorf and left it with an airberlin agent there, and that I needed to contact the airberlin agent at Munich and have them contact the airberlin or airport lost and found at dusseldorf.  Well, the agent at Munich was most unhelpful.  Gave me a phone number and told me to call.  I don't speak German, and international phone calls are expensive.  Dorothee, guest relations associate at the Munich Airport Marriott was most helpful, and tirelessly kept checking with the Dusseldorf airberlin people while I was off vacationing in Czech Republic and Austria, and when I got back to Bavaria (but not her hotel), she emailed me that she had kept checking, but they told her that no one turned in a sweater (they also told her that even if they had, that they wouldn't put it on a plane to Nuremberg (where I was to fly out of), but that I would have to pay to have it shipped, so it probably wasn't worth it anyway.  But the Dorothee story is for sure one for another topic group (Spirit to Serve).  That young lady was amazing (and so was the Munich Airport Marriott.  I'll add a link here to my review once I've done it.)

What was it about the prior conversation we had about boarding A380's?  Was it you, IAH, who mentioned about boarding from different floors in the airport?  It must be different at different airports, because I had this discussion with my sibs during our trip, and we determined that at LAX and SYD, they board (at least the Qantas A380's) from the same floor.  The one jet bridge just angles up to the top floor of the aircraft.

Someday I'll tell my story about taking 9 days to fly from March AFB to MCAS Futenma.  Unless I've already told that lie.  If so, someone feel free to thump me on the side of the head.

• 8. Re: Aviation Geeks Unite!

Pluto,

Yes it was me who mentioned in Houston the upper deck of the MegaBus is boarded from two floors, upper deck boarding is a floor above the lower deck jetway........I'll see if I can find a picture of it later this evening.

• 9. Re: Aviation Geeks Unite!
    missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Oh, good timing!  We just got off a little 10-seater (including pilot) puddle-jumper from St Croix to San Juan courtesy of Cape Air.  We left during some pretty messy weather but the pilot did a great job and the turbulence wasn't too bad, but the clouds were spectacular!  While in flight, I noticed that one of the screws holding the cowling onto the engine popped up about an inch.  I kept my eye on it but it just wobbled back and forth until we landed, and then it popped back down so that you wouldn't even know it was a problem!  I felt a responsibility to report this to the pilot as I did notice that some of the other screws weren't flush with the cowling like they were on the other wing.  I hope he didn't think I was annoying.    I did do it out of earshot of any other passengers, though.

• 10. Re: Aviation Geeks Unite!

I love Cape Air and have flown many times on them when they used to be a Continental Connection in Florida as well as most recently in the Caribbean.  Those little screws are annoying however; you have to turn them in order for the lock assembly to release them which then makes the screw not holding down the cowling.  Any pilot that would have been annoyed by you letting them know is simply not professional nor concerned with safety.

• 11. Re: Aviation Geeks Unite!
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I have some hair raising Cape Air stories to tell, maybe later,

• 12. Re: Aviation Geeks Unite!
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

IAHFLYR,

Great pictures and story!

Am a fan of Ozark Air and TWA.  Those days are gone, but your comments are well taken.  My only experience with Cape Air was out of Cape Girardeau, Mo.

Don't think this is the same airline that's mentioned.

Stay in touch, and keep the post coming, IAHFLYR.  Other MRI and us will get together on near the Galleria for a chat and laugh!

• 13. Re: Aviation Geeks Unite!

Thanks for sharing missgee!  I agree with IAHFLYR, though, in that you did the right thing.  And if the pilot got upset, well then maybe he shouldn't be a pilot. 

• 14. Re: Aviation Geeks Unite!

Please do share Anadyr! 

1 2 3 249 Previous Next