1 2 3 9 Previous Next 120 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2014 10:47 AM by trippin' RSS

Summertime BBQ Ideas & Favorites

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Yes it is summertime even in the far north (trippin') so I thought it would be a good time to share your thoughts on BBQ and your favorites.

We are able to grill/smoke all year long and I take full advantage of it so when the summer street parties arrive our food is among the first to disappear.  While I'm still learning the tricks to smoking food, grilling is the staple with anything being grilled from stuffed jalapeno's and grilled hot wings to pork chops, pork loin, assorted different cold water fish and summer favorites of ribs and chicken.  Reading and listening to BBQ purists I'm sure they'd be telling me you can't do that with baby backs, but it's what we find has the most flavor and tenderness.

I've toyed with smoking baby backs with only a dry rub and many hours on the smoker as well as cooking them in the oven using beer then finishing them by slow cooking over indirect heat, low and slow while basting them with BBQ sauce every 30 minutes creating a very nice glaze on the ribs.  All you purists read no further!!

1. Start with a nice lean rack or more of baby backs, wash then pat the ribs dry and the remove the membrane on the bone side of the ribs. 

2. Create your favorite dry rub with flavors you enjoy most such as brown sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, mustard powder, black pepper, a little cayenne pepper (spicy as you like) and onion powder. 

3. Rub both sides of the ribs with extra virgin olive oil and then liberally coat both sides of the ribs with your dry rub.

4.Wrap them tightly in a good plastic wrap and put them in the refrigerator overnight.

5. The next morning unwrap them and put them in a pan of your favorite beer (I use 12 oz per rack) meat side down and put them in the over at 350 for 45 minutes, then lower the temperature to 300 and let them cook another hour.  The purists I told you to stop reading.

6. Take the ribs out of the oven and let them cool in the beer for 30 minutes while you start your grill.

7.  Rub olive oil on the grill grates when it is hot and put the ribs on bone side down while sprinkling your dry rub onto the meat side and lower the temperature of the grill.

8. After 15 minutes turn the ribs meat side down an apply the remainder of your dry rub while keeping the grill around 225 degrees and the ribs away from the heat source.

9. After 15 minutes turn the ribs and liberally apply your favorite BBQ sauce, repeating the process for 3 hours or until the ribs start to fall off the bones.  You'll be able to tell as you turn them each time.

10. Get the fixin's of pea salad or potato salad, homemade of course and let the ribs sit for 20-30 minutes before cutting them with a very sharp knife into 2-3 rib bones per slice.  They may be hard to cut and pull apart if the knife is dull.

I think you'll find a great tender tasty meal and I hope to have others share their favorite BBQ recipes.

Enjoy and have a fine season of outdoor cooking.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 1. Re: Summertime BBQ Ideas & Favorites
    trippin' Alumni Steward Member 3 Reviews

OH MY GOSH...my mouth is watering right now.  That sounds like a kick-butt recipe!  Might have to try that!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Summertime BBQ Ideas & Favorites

Do it, dare ya not to love it and more, but no gravy please!

• 3. Re: Summertime BBQ Ideas & Favorites

Oh i love bbq! One of my favorites is to slow cook a pork shoulder on the grill.  I douse it with garlic powder and seasoned salt on both sides and put in the fridge overnight.  Then I wrap it in tin foil and put the grill on low and cook it for 3-4 hours.  Can be done in the oven but it's just not the same.

The meat is yummy and falls apart and I'm in heaven!!!!

Mary

• 4. Re: Summertime BBQ Ideas & Favorites

Ya know it's pretty hard to beat anything slow cooked on the grill.  I am a huge pork fan as well as chicken and turkey.  Thinking of smoking a turkey for Father's Day as the kid and I watch the U.S. Open.

• 5. Re: Summertime BBQ Ideas & Favorites
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

IAHFLYR,

Growing up in VA I had a chance to have some different BBQ styles. I have lived in NJ the past 13 years though and there is a total lack of even decent BBQ here. Places claim to have it but they just don't smoke their meats, and if they do, not well. Everything is just pork with lots of sauce and it sometimes isn't even very good sauce. I was lucky enough about 4 years ago to be in Chicago and tried a place called Smoque. They make a Texas brisket that is flat out awesome. Good smoke ring and flavor, tender, juicy, and an awesome sauce to go with it. I go there every time I am in town. If you ever get the chance to go to Chicago, give it a try.

• 6. Re: Summertime BBQ Ideas & Favorites

I've traveled to NJ quite a bit over the last few years when I was working and always saw folks eating BBQ, but you're so correct it didn't even look good.  But they can sure cook some delightful Italian food and make great subs.

Thanks for the tip ks77.  Will be in Chicago first of October so will have to look the joint up and give it a try.  Normally we don't eat BBQ out, but there is always a first.

• 7. Re: Summertime BBQ Ideas & Favorites
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I am glad I could be of help! Yes I would agree...we have lots and lots of Italian places some of which are pretty good and tons of sub shops also some of which are great.

• 8. Re: Summertime BBQ Ideas & Favorites

Agreed - I really prefer dry rubs due to my distaste of all things bbq sauce.  ew.  Now if it's pulled pork I don't mind a little sauce.  (boy i sound picky!)  Mary

• 9. Re: Summertime BBQ Ideas & Favorites

It's June and time to revive the summer grilling thread as there are many new Insiders to provide us with awesome grilling tips.  I also expect strong showings from jerrycoin, foxglove, shashack, Sledchick, pluto77, erc, anadyr trippin', bejacob among others and our favorite foodie who will suddenly turn into a grill master kharada46.

Fire up those grills folks, it's all about the flavor, aroma, and having a great time with friends and family.  Don't forget the "meds".

• 10. Re: Summertime BBQ Ideas & Favorites
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

hey ks77 there is another great place in Chicago downtown called Twin Anchors that has some of the most tender and best tasting ribs around anywhere I have tried. Of course I haven't tried IAHFLYR's so can't say this place is THE best but pretty darn close. It is actually a bar/restaurant and very small place but always crowded. After soaking up some good ole bbq ribs, walk around the corner and down the street to Ben & Jerry's for a cleansing of the palette. Nothin' beats it. Makes everyone a camper

• 11. Re: Summertime BBQ Ideas & Favorites
    foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

madmax ks77 Y'all sound like the old M*A*S*H* episode where Hawkeye orders ribs from Chicago's Adam's Ribs for delivery to Korea.

Depot Sgt: Okay, what's in the package?

Hawkeye: Ribs and sauce from Chicago.

Sgt: Adam's Ribs?

Hawkeye: You know it?

Sgt: Are you kidding? I'm from Joliet. I'd walk to Chicago on my knees in the snow for a takeout order.

Trapper: He's one of you.

• 12. Re: Summertime BBQ Ideas & Favorites
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

when they're good, they're goooood

I had forgotten about that episode. Thanks for the reminder.

• 13. Re: Summertime BBQ Ideas & Favorites
    foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Anytime. "Label it 'RUSH -- MEDICAL SUPPLIES'"   Hmm, definitely sounds like an MR Insiders' conversation.

• 14. Re: Summertime BBQ Ideas & Favorites

Try them.....they're easy to make and once you master them you'll never order ribs at a restaurant again!!

1 2 3 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...