4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2013 6:33 PM by anadyr RSS

Where there's smoke...  What kind is allowed?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was wondering if Marriott has considered the implications of both electronic cigarettes and medical marijuana (smoking of) as it relates to their nonsmoking policies in hotels? 

E-cigarettes, unlike traditional paper tobacco products, aren't federally regulated. The Food and Drug Administration warned the new technology could pose its own health risks.  At the moment federal law prohibits most use of Marijuana though the picture is clouded (sorry for that pun) by local laws and non-enforcement of other laws.

According to the Wall Street Journal, "More than a dozen states, including Arkansas, Colorado and Maryland, have banned e-cigarette sales to minors. New Jersey, North Dakota and Utah have outlawed their use in enclosed public spaces. A bill approved by California's state senate in May would bring e-cigarettes under smoke-free laws covering public buildings, workplaces and restaurants. Boston, Seattle and Indianapolis have extended their smoking bans to the devices. Airlines don't allow e-cigarettes, nor do Amtrak or Starbucks."

So is there a Marriott policy on these two types of smoking, one with nicotine and one with cannabis?  If the chain is truly smoke free then the type of smoke should be immaterial.

Any thoughts out there?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Where there's smoke...  What kind is allowed?
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews
    Currently Being Moderated

I would think that the type of smoke shouldn't matter.  I don't want to sleep in a room that smells like cigarettes, pot, or any other type of smokey smell.  And I don't want to have to walk through any of those and breathe them either.  I would hope that the hotels aren't trying to differentiate.  I would complain if they allowed any of them.  Just my opinion:)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...