15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2013 12:59 PM by ab3i RSS

Disturbing Room Experience

ab3i Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just checked into a certain property in OKC and had a weird and disturbing room experience. The front desk check-in person was friendly and courteous and as the guaranteed room type (king) wasnt available on a high floor, he asked if me a room with two doubles on the top floor would be okay. I accepted the room, since it didn't really matter if it was a king as long as it was on a high floor. The disturbing aspect of this room was that it was cleaned, the old occupants keys and some trash was in the groom, but worst off all the restroom had human excrement floating in the pot!!! Now I have checked into rooms that weren't cleaned before, but this is new and fairly disturbing, I went downstairs and asked for a different room, and they gladly assigned me a new one. The same front desk person was very apologetic, and walked me to my room and even asked me if he could do anything to make my stay more comfortable, but at the moment I am just.. i don't know, shocked I suppose. I have asked the GM to call me tomorrow, but honestly speaking at this point I am not sure what to say to him apart from ask what the heck? I also don't know what to tell them in terms of 'what can be done', I don't know if I should ask for points as right now I don't know if points will get the disturbing and disgusting image out of my head.

I Certainly hope that this was a one-off, and I am a bit queasy about staying at this property, but this is the best Marriott property near my client site and I might have to stay here for a few more weeks. Needless to say, I might have to switch to Starwood for the next few weeks. I certainly hope that the GM calls me tomorrow, I left my cell number with the front desk requesting him to call me, and that he can provide me with some peace of mind.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Oklahoma City Marriott
  • Re: Disturbing Room Experience
    richard37075 Platinum

At a minimum, I would think that not having your room type available at check-in would fall under the Guaranteed Room Type (For Gold/Platinum-not sure what your status is?).  It would give you a $100 compensation for the room type not being available....

Marriott® Elite Member Benefits and Guarantees

I agree that manager definitely needs to take care of the situation properly and either Comp your night, or give you a comped night in the future.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ab3i Platinum 4 Reviews

I don't think that the room type guarantee applies as the hotel did have my room type just at a much lower floor and I agreed to take a different room type on a higher floor. I think I am more interested in an apology perhaps and a guarantee from the GM that this will not happen on future stays (ref the room cleanliness) And yes definitely some form compensation

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

It would be interesting to know if the room was offered to a guest earlier this evening and for some reason they didn't want the room however; took the opportunity to use the restroom.  Also, if you didn't get the guaranteed room of "King" then I'd certainly expect some points in the thousands as well as complementary everything after this event, so make sure the GM knows your complete displeasure with the room situation as well as the restroom issue.  If the disgust of the hotel is to the point you'd like to leave then have them pay for you to move to the Starwood property near your client site as well as provide you with large compensation in the way of points.  Stand your ground and more!

I have stayed at both FS Marriott properties and the Renaissance in OKC within the last 18 months and would certainly hope this wasn't at one of those hotels.  Each of them has been very clean, fresh, extremely well maintained and with a very good staff.  But thinking of it now and the time of year there is one which could be suspect since the softball season is ending soon or just ended and the teams usually stay at this one hotel.  Hope I'm wrong.

libertygirl Platinum 1 Reviews

The hotel has been taken over by the bank and is run by a management company at this time. The hotel is old and is need of repairs. It looks tired and needs a new roof. Several of the hallways have ceiling tiles that leak when it rains and have chucks and large pieces of ceilintg tiles fall to floor. Leaks in hallway on several floors. The top floor (16) has several large areas of ceiling tiles gone and more have fallen out during recent tornadoes. Repairs are very, very, very slow. The management company has looked at the hotela and is planned to do a major renovation and pour money into the hotel. The pool needs to be cleaned and has algae starting to grow. The front desk staff knows the condition of the hotel is below average to poor. There seems to be very limited staff and adquatre front desk coverage. If you are looking for a luxury hotel experience...this is not it. There are several groups of volunteers for the disaster in OK, youth groups, etc. that are staying here. They have a nice breakfast buffet. The staff is courteous and are working in a faded, crumbling hotel. Avoid this hotel...the Renaissance Hotel downtown may be a better hotel...but this location is good and near shopping and restaurants. The staff is well aware of the problems and know they bank/management company is in charge. I cannot recommend this hotel at all. I have had to stay here recently for a couple of weeks. Avoid this hotel period.

The Waterford and Renaissance have always been better hotels from the NW Expressway property, sorry to hear of it's sad state of repair.

ab3i Platinum 4 Reviews

The renaissance is out of my price cap (set by the engagement team and the client). We have tried negotiating the rate down, but its still way above what the client and my employer agreed upon for our weekly hotel costs. We do have rates at a few Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt and SPG properties in the area, and i guess I might have to switch allegiances for the duration of this project for my 3-4nights/weekly stays

The OKlahoma City Marriott located at 3233 Northwest Expressway has been taken over by the previous owner's bank...a management company is overseeing the hotel. The hotel is in bad repair....the roof needs to be replaced. On several floors there are ceiling tiles in the hallway and after a hard rain more fall. The 16th floor, 2nd floor, etc. have had ceiling leak problems. According to the hotel, the management company is planning to do a major renovation and is taking bids for a new roof. The hotel is showing it's age and looks tired and needs repairs....this is not a "luxury hotel experience". With the recent torndoes they are getting long term stays, volunteer groups, group bookings, etc. They appear to have the bare minimum of staff.

sss

Stay away from this hotel....the hotel is now owned by the bank along with three other properties owned by the previous owner. The hotel needs a new roof and is leaking and in bad repair. They have a limited staff. The managment company has looked at the hotel and is planning to put some money into a major renovation and new roof. Bids are being taken on new roof. Leaking ceiling tiles, falling ceiling tiles in hallways....gaping holes in ceiling on 16th floor...Ceiling chunks falling out on other hallways due to leaks. The towels are old and gray tinged due ot age. Pool is large but not maintained...alage starting to grow in outside pool. There appears to be a very limited staff in maids, bellmen....front desk staff is adquate and working under the knowledge they hotel is in bad shape and they are run by a management company while owned by the bank.. Avoid this hotel. This is a tired, aging, non-repaired hotel....they have a breakfast buffet....but not a nice restaurant ...former high end restaurant in hotel has been closed for years. It appears the previous owner quit putting money in hotel. The hotel has had history of vehiicles being broken into and thefts by former employees/others. Large groups stay here...youth groups, other groups....It is not a luxury hotel and would rate very poorly. Avoid this hotel....period.

ab3i Platinum 4 Reviews

well i guess this explains my experience at this property. i was hoping not to mention the specific property but it really doesnt matter at this point.

goodtoknow Platinum 1 Reviews

I stayed at this hotel in April 2013 and did not encounter any problems.  The room was comfortable and well appointed.  Hotels can age and a refurbishment but they don't need to be slammed because they are aging!  Below is a review I posted to tripadvisor regarding my stay at this hotel.

We spent an enjoyable night here recently. The front desk help was very friendly and engaging and we were given a nice room near the concierge lounge. It was a named "suite" but was really just a fun shaped room with no more space than a regular room. I'm not complaining though as I only booked a regular room. Their concierge lounge was very nice and the food delicious. They had a tortilla soup that was as good as you will get anywhere and a chicken and potato stew that also hit the spot (maybe too much oil though). The room was comfortable with a nice easy chair (not enough room for a sofa) and a nice desk niched in a corner. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet although it shared a wall with the concierge lounge. We will certainly stay here again

ab3i Platinum 4 Reviews

I do agree that the staff is very friendly, and the nightshift / front desk manager who checked me in was probably one of the most polite and courteous staff i have encountered at any property.

ab3i Platinum 4 Reviews

No call / email from the GM so far (its 3:22 local time). I am assuming either my request for him to contact me was not passed on, or he doesnt feel like he needs to address this issue at all. disappointing.

Location Brand Hotel
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Oklahoma City Marriott

Call the GM and get in the persons you know what!  Also, write a horrid review and you'll get some response almost certainly within 12 hours.

ab3i Platinum 4 Reviews

Delayed Update - Spoke with the GM finally towards the end of my stay last week. He was unable to offer an explanation. but did say that it was an anomaly and not the norm at the property. He claimed that he can not ask room operations to block a room for me that was the guaranteed type and on a high floor (I am currently booked at the property for weekly stays through the end of july). While i find this strange as almost every other marriott property has done this for me, but it seemed like a fruitless discussion. in terms of /compensation/ i was offered a lovely 5K points, which was then upped to 10K. Not really blowing the bank here with the points offered, but again it didnt seem worthwhile to pursue this discussion further as it didnt seem like he was willing to go out of his way to accommodate my request for future stays or make up for the disturbing experience. For now, I am back at the property, the room was clean but not really on a high floor. I have asked my corporate travel people to see if we can negotiate rates with the other properties in the area - we have a few people who stay at this property every week, and if we can get an agreeable rate at the other properties, I think we'll switch.

Not that it is relevant, I did commend the front desk manager who first handled the issue, hopefully the GM took note and passed it on.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...