14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2014 11:32 PM by shoeman1000 RSS

KC - CC Plaza or Downtown?

mackey34 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have stayed at the CC plaza Marriott for years, almost 5 now.  It is nice and gets the job done.  But I am bored with the hotel and the restaurants now and was thinking about giving the Downtown Marriott a try.  Which would you recommend?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Kansas City, Missouri, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Kansas City Marriott Downtown
  • Re: KC - CC Plaza or Downtown?
    psmishler Silver 7 Reviews

I recently moved from KC and they have really built up downtown. I would say give it a try it has gotten really nice and to be honest the plaza is crowded with children these days, and I believe there has been a rash of drive by shootings down there recently as well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

mackey,

Maybe downtown, with a dinner at The Savoy?

I used to live there as well!

Good luck!

Platinum 28 Reviews

mackey34

I enjoy (really) travelling to KC on business once  a month.

I have stayed at:  Marriott downtown, and (suburban) Overland Park Marriott (closest to my business).

That said, I now stay 9 out of 10 visits at the Marriott Country Club Plaza - great area for entertaining business associates, hotel has the standard amenities which foremost is a staff that goes out of their way to accomodate your every wish (within there ability). (literally has become my home away from home when in KC)

If you are bored - try the Raphael (Collection) (straight  down the hill from the Marriott) Very European, great service, great restaurant in the hotel and you won't be disappointed).

Now, let's get to the more important question of FOOD - (WARNING: NOT RECOMMENDED BY THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION)  "Strouds for fried chicken"!!!!!!!!  Go for it!!!!! I dream of this place at least once a week!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

And speaking of food in KC area...and I know there are some self-proclaimed experts out there just like me who'll disagree, but possibly the best ribs, pulled pork, brisket, and  spicy cole slaw I've ever, yes ever, had is from Oklahoma Joes.  There are two locations in KC area, but I like the one in suburb Olathe, Ks.  I eat there probably every time I'm in KC, about twice a month, and it just keeps getting better.

A second choice for BBQ is Arthur Bryants...again two locations, downtown and another out by the race track and Cabela's.  Very good brisket!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Agreed here!

The Raphael is a wonderful place!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

And their motto is 'we choke our own chickens'.  Strouds was good. Spent 10 years with a KC firm and was out there all the time.  Love the steaks at Plaza III, barbeque at Gates, Haywards in Overland Park was always great, Jess & Jims with the pickled beets on every table, Hereford House, Tatsu's French Restaurant, Bristol Grill (not sure if it's still there), Jun's Sushi.  Stayed at the Overland Park Marriott many, many times.  Nice hotel but there wasn't much good dining you could walk to.

superchief1 Platinum

If you don't mind the southern suburbs and want a change, I suggest staying at the Overland Park Marriott and having dinner at Japser's (Italian). Although it is located in a small strip mall off of Stateline Rd just north of I-435, the food is outstanding. I highly recommend ordering the tableside Mozzarella.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I'm not sure what the traffic is like, but I really like the Courtyard Kansas City Briarcliff. It is my favorite Courtyard in the country.

superchief1 Platinum

I agree that this is one of the few Courtyards worth a visit. The view from the hillside overlooking downtown combined with a great location between the airport and city (and free parking) make it worth considering. There are several good restaurants in Briarcliff Plaza which is located down the street, so you don't have to eat in the bistro. This hotel was being built when I worked in the office building next door and is only a little more than a year old.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I will be leaving my glorious 70 - 80 degree weather in a few days (Friday Morning) and travelling to KC.

As always (at least 80% of the time) I will be  checking in at the Marriott CC Plaza and withing 24 hours post an up date if this marvelous property has changed since my last visit  (10 weeks ago).

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

misterchk

I am jealous.  kc/cc plaza is a great destination.  enjoy.  please send an update.

Platinum 28 Reviews

shoeman1000

Will do Mr. Shoe - Strouds for fried chicken Friday night and Bryants for BBQ on Saturday - that alone will get me through the biz meetings - of course the overnights at the Marriott CC Plaza and the wonderful bedding will guarantee I'll be ready for the next meal   (is this post getting bizaar??)

dcrc Platinum 2 Reviews

I travel frequently, but KC is a close to home getaway for me.   I would highly recommend the Raphael.  It is a Marriott Autograph hotel.  I have stayed Downtown KC (Power & Light area and Kauffman center are great downtown highlights), at Marriott Plaza, Courtyard Plaza (a great less expensive option with close proximity to plaza) and Overland Park Marriott (only good if business is in South KC area) and will go back to the Raphael whenever I can!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...