21 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2016 8:12 AM by debbiebrown RSS

Room service?  Sorry we don't offer that.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

One chain is giving room service the heave-ho!

Is this a trend?

Does anyone care?  I do.

Thoughts on this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York City, New York, USA
  • Re: Room service?  Sorry we don't offer that.
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I wonder what's next to go.  Housekeeping perhaps?  They could cut a lot of cost by having us do our own laundry.  Then maybe restaurants altogether?  Could save even more if we all cooked all our own meals too.  Wait, we might as well stay home then

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I think there is  consideration of having pay toilets in the rooms, and surcharges for heat and air conditioning, but then why not?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Agree with both of you!

However,  I think it will be more like a "Tax" on certain aspects of room features.  There may be a "Discount" keeping the rate the same, when you book it, but amenities will cost you more.

Have you seen what United Airlines is offering to their customers?  The ability to buy pay for one bag on all of your flights with them for one year at around $350!

Don't rule anything out!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I hear Slimezek is thinking of putting in coin operated lav's in economy next!

There was a great commercial for People's Express years ago with this feature

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I'm very surprised to see this move from some Hilton properties.  In my opinion if the hotel is not able to offer Room Service then it is no longer a Full Service Property.

va.

Agree with you!

I did not know the hotel chain that was doing this, but I am surprised at Hilton.  I know they were were very particular about taking food from the CL to the room, but wow, that is a new development.

Thanks to all for sharing this information with us!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Agreed!  Room service is a luxury/convenience that should be a part of any full service hotel.  If they have to cut something, what about doing room cleaning every other day or something.  I really don't need to have my room cleaned every single day of my stay. 

How hotels don't make money on room service is beyond me as well.  Room services often seems to be select items from the restaurant with a 20% or so premium + a delivery fee + an automatic 18% gratuity. 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

It's like every other service business, they are making money hand over fist.  A charge for this and a charge for that, I think I will start to charge our dinner guests if they desire to have a real fork and knife rather than plastic since we have to wash them after.

P and L is not just two letters joined with and "an" it is a way of life. I recall that in the 1980's the Marriott motto was "No guest leaves unsatisfied," and now the "un" is being removed.

erc Platinum

To the tune of Master of the House from my favorite play - Les Miserables

Welcome Rewards, sit yourself down

See Freddie's winner, the best in town

As for the rest, all of them tools

Trailing our lead, and following the rules

Seldom do you see

Anything for free

A plan of such design

That's content to be

Master of your perks, doling out the charm

Giving you improvements, that might do some harm

Spin a juicy tale, creates a little fuss

F & B credit, makes a purchase a must

Likes to always change the bennies

Doesn't cost us to be nice

Enhancements get you little

As we often jack up your price

Master of your perks, keeper of your stays

Ready to raise categories any day

Take away your wine, giving you some points

Bistro coffee costs and you now must pay

Everybody loves a resort

Everybody pays the fee

Strap the title on the building

And it raises our P.E.

Master of the perks, quick to take your cash

Better book 'em now, because the deals won't last

Lodger to the loyal, courter of the new

200 nights a year and it's premier for you

That's unless we just decide not to

That's unless we change our mind

But don't you dare save points

Holy cow, they've lost value, you'll find !

erc,

Your brilliance continues to be amazing!

I am picturing Mrs. erc, singing this one outside The London Dungeon or "Speakers Corner"!

She could sing this at our next MRI "Get together" in London! 

The Thenardiers would have been impressed, though the playwrights are another matter.

Not to be outdone, start the revolving stage, cue the orchestra....

There was a time when hotels were kind
              When their voices were soft
              And their rooms inviting
              There was a time when upgrades were fine
              And the rooms went for a song
              And the song was exciting
              There was a time
              Then it all went wrong

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
              When rewards were high
              And travel worth making
              I dreamed that loyalty would never die
              I dreamed that some would be forgiving
              Then I was young and unafraid
              And dreams were made and used and wasted
              There was no points to be displayed
              No amenity unsung, no free cheese and wine untasted

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

haha, yeah... Seems like hotels are starting to follow the airlines... FEE FOR EVERYTHING!!  Oh, and make rewards near impossible to redeem! 

mrg8415 Gold 5 Reviews

The Courtyard in Downtown San Diego gives you 250 points for your stay if you opt not to have housekeeping clean your room. What an ingenious way to incentivize guests not to utilize services and help the hotel save money! And what does giving guests 250 points really cost the company vs. the cost of the housekeeping. Where else could hotels implement a program like this I wonder?

mrg,

I would probably opt for the points vrs. cleaning of room, if I was by myself!

Another area that could be in future "Extra charges" is "Swimming pools".  They must be extremely expensive to maintain, and seldom do I really see them used.  They also must represent a large "Liability" for a hotel.

Just some thoughts.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

So if Hotel guests chose the points every time, how are they saving money other then laundry costs?  They still have to pay the people to clean the rooms.  Now they would be standing around doing nothing!  Remember most cleaning staff's are union employees, so they still get paid!

debbiebrown Platinum 6 Reviews

This may be becoming a standard practice at the Marriott hotels. I recently stayed at the Renaissance in Novi, MI and though we were only one night...there was a tag on the door to skip your cleaning and you would be deemed Marriott Rewards (the tag read...we are Making Points...or something like that) And not sure how many points it was....but.....then THIS weekend we stayed at the Fairfield in Traverse City, MI and we we there 2 nights and had a card in our key folder offering Points for skipped cleanings..and we did just that for 250 points and they were deposited into our account this morning, and an email was sent to us confirming that. I don't think I would skip a whole week...but surely would for some of them.

The desk said if we needed anything to come to the desk and they would hook us up with extra bathing supplies, coffe and such and probably towels too!

I am proud to be a point *****.....oops...did I say that!

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Which chain is this doing this?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...