6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2013 1:35 PM by islandgrandma RSS

What exactly is "Guaranteed room type" - opinions/thoughts/facts all welcomed :)

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

So I'm staying at the Springhill Suites in Tampa and arrived, having the reservation booked over a week and with additional weeks already on the books to come, to find that they had not blocked me into a room.  I have in my profile, king bed, high floor, etc.  I do NOT have the accessible room selected and my profile is set to bed selection as the key.

I was greeted nicely, thanked for coming back, etc but then told they were "sold out" and that they could put me in a standard room with two double beds OR a king bed in an accessible room.  I actually consider accessible rooms a different type of room because they are not "standard" and are often furnished or configured differently for the purpose of being "accessible".  And personally I don't want an accessible room.  I think they should have them for those that need them but I don't like the rooms because of the different configurations.

So my question to the group is this.  If my room type is a king, non-smoking standard room, does assigning me a choice of either a double or accessible room render this "guarantee" null/void?  Before I get into this with the hotel GM, I wanted to get the thoughts, opinions, etc from you guys & gals because part of me thinks its just my bias against accessible rooms that has me annoyed.  The other part of me thinks, well gosh I'm a plat prem. member who made this reservation with ample lead time, I should be given a proper room based on selection and not the guy checking in at 9pm being told we are sold out and here's what we have, take it or leave it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What exactly is "Guaranteed room type" - opinions/thoughts/facts all welcomed :)
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

My two cents worth......I detest checking in late in the evening due to the very issue you have brought up.  These hotels know you're coming, know your elite status, know what you have as requests in your profile AND know how long you'll be staying.  It is simply poor training by hotel management and Marriott management when they take nothing into consideration for guess what, you got it, LOYAL guests.  It makes it even worse when they welcome you back and slam the "sold out" phrase at you.

It would be very nice to find a place that actually honors your requests contained within your profile regardless of the hotel occupancy or not.  If you don't show guess what, they still charge you and also get to fill your room with another paying guest, so I don't get it other than lazy management, poor training of how to treat loyal guests or the simple fact Marriott could care less.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What exactly is "Guaranteed room type" - opinions/thoughts/facts all welcomed :)
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I completely agree with.  I won't stay in an accessible room either.  But...I suspect their argument will be that since you were offered a king bed, which is actually what is guaranteed as I understand it, and decided to take the 2 queens (that's 2 queen beds by the way), then they held up their end of the guarantee.  I hope you get a satisfactory explanation (if there is one at this point) of why your room was not pre-assigned, sold out hotel or not, and why you were given the option of leftovers or nothing by the desk clerk who management should never have put in that position with a customer to begin with.  Please let us know the outcome.  And all the best in your travels.

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

According to the "Elite Benefits Guarantee at Participating Marriott Hotel Brands" one is entitled to $50 compensation at SpringHill Suites for not fulfilling the room type guarantee! It is also $50 at Courtyard, Residence Inn, and AC Hotels; $25 at Fairfield Inn or TownePlace Suites; $100 at JWMarriott, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, and Marriott Hotels & Resorts. I discovered this fact after I had checked in and out of a Fairfield Inn that put me in a different type bedded room saying the same thing: "we're full and all the other rooms are booked". I have yet to use this guarantee, but am prepared now for the future. Please use it and tell us your results.

islandgrandma Gold 1 Reviews

My experience when using points for a gold member special last winter went beyond the "guaranteed room type" to denial of a confirmed upgrade!  The email confirmation that I had been upgraded to an ocean view room came about a week before I left home, however on check-in they were "sold out " and I was placed in a first floor room with a  view of the meeting rooms.  (My perference lists high floor.)  After many phone calls the following morning I was able to get a higher floor, it wasn't until the final night of a weeklong stay that I was moved to ocean view.  Most interesting was the email I found on return home that had been sent midweek of my stay and was a cancellation of the confirmed upgrade, with no notation of why or by whom.

It was't until months later, when taking the time to read the Rewards rules and benefits, that I discovered that I could have requested compensation.  As the previous reply notes, it probably is worth our time to read the fine print but I feel insulted that it should be necessary.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...