6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2013 6:21 AM by psudad RSS

Rome - What is your favorite day trip by train?

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We have been to Rome a few times but once we leave, our next destination is usually hours away, like Assisi or Montepulciano, on the way north.  Next spring we are going to Rome for 6 nights (Grand Flora) and would like to take one day trip, accessible by train.  I'd prefer something within about an hour train ride.  Looking at a few sites, as possible destinations:

Ostia Antica (have read this is a great alternative to Pompeii, though smaller in scale)

Naples/Pompeii (beyond the one hour radius, so would prefer something closer unless this is a can't miss)

Castel Gandolfo

Frascati

Tivoli - Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa (currently in the lead)

Orvieto (1:06 to 1:35, depending on the train)

Others?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rome, Italy Marriott Hotels & Resorts Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
  • Re: Rome - What is your favorite day trip by train?

Any comments or alternative suggestions?  Thanks, in advance, for your replies!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

daveplazak Gold 1 Reviews

Ostia Antica works well. You can be in Florence in about 90 minutes by high speed train. You can also get to Sienna by train (or better yet, by bus, which is faster and cheaper.)

Thanks, Daveplazak.  Ostia Antica works - close, ancient (and hopefully some good restaurants nearby).  Have seen much if not most in Florence and Sienna - and both are a bit of a poke for a day.  Was in Florence again in 2011.  If Montepulchiano were closer and easier to get to (i.e. direct train) I would love to spend a day there.  In 2011, we spent several hours, had an incredible lunch, toured a winery in the mountain, but saw only the lower part of town.  So beautiful and peaceful.

I assume you have been to Ostia?  How long does it take to see the sites and is there any kind of town or village to walk to from the ruins, for lunch etc.?

daveplazak Gold 1 Reviews

I've been to Ostia a couple of times, once on my own and once with a group of my students. I'd give it 2-3 hours. There's really no town in between Ostia and the train station but there are a couple of small restaurants right on the way or the way back. There's a actually a very nice snack and coffee bar right by the museum on site.

pa_annie Silver

I would vote for either Ostia Antiqua or Tivoli.  Both are easy to get to.  It depends on how much you are into ancient ruins.  But my husband and son would agree with the definition of Ostia as a "prettier Pompeii."  You say you have been to Siena, but if anyone else is interested, don't go to Siena by train.  You will still have a long walk or cab ride up the hill from the train station.

pa_annie,

Thank you for your comments.  I think we have narrowed it down to the two and will make our decision over the coming 10 months. (probably go back and forth between the two until we arrive in Rome, actually).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...