42 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2015 9:38 AM by lifeontheroad RSS

Do you regularly tip in the CL?

floridatravels Platinum 9 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

On my most recent trip to DC JW Marriott I notice that I was the only one who tipped the attendants in the CL.  I was there 4 days and I never saw a single person leave a tip. I have found this to be the case in the other CLs I visited as well.

I wonder if these folks went to a buffet restaurant do they not leave a tip there either?  Perhaps I am the odd person here and the norm for MR gold and platinum members is to NOT tip for service.  Do these same people not tip the bellhop? Maybe they dont  tip the cab driver?

Is there a difference between CL  attendants and other service people?

what is your experience and habit on tipping in the CL?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Do you regularly tip in the CL?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I normally do not carry cash with me when in the CL, or for that matter much of anyplace, the little amount of cash I'd carry would be insulting to leave.  When I have return visits to a property and the same CL Associate is on duty I always slip them a nice crazy out of control tip for their attention to the lounge and myself.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

cheil Platinum 13 Reviews

I am the same. Don't usually carry cash with me unless that state I'm traveling through has tolls, or if I'm in Vegas. Like you I normally tip on the last day if its warranted. I stay in Norcross, GA alot because that's where my company's home office is, and their CL is amazing! If you ever in the area, check it out.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Actually these days the only time I carry ANY cash is in Europe.  At home, because I have a variety of reward credit cards that I pay off each month, I use them even for small postal service fees.  On the few occasions I take out cash from my bank, it usually sits there in my wallet until coming back from Europe for tolls.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Same here.  I never keep cash on me, because everytime I turn around, someone wants some!

I just want miles/points !  And cash is useless for that.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Have to admit I'm sort of hit & miss on tipping in CL.  Usually do it when I get some personal service (e.g., picking up dishes) or when it is a very high quality CL with a busy attendant.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I have NEVER tipped in the CL (except for a single time when the attendant went above and beyond on providing liquor).     Of course, people think of me as pretty tight........

I do not normally tip in the CL, though I am a very good tipper for my hotel room (assuming the service warrants it).  The only exceptions were when I was staying in the Omar Khayyam Palace in Cairo and the Polat Istanbul.  Wine costs a pretty penny if you buy it at a restaurant in most Islamic countries (though Turkey doesn't politically count in that rubric, it's wine is every bit as expensive. So if you give some money under the table to your regular servers they will keep pouring the free wine in the CL in those places.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I have in fact tipped a Concierge but not every time.  I find that repeating at a hotel, getting beyond amazing service and being recognized deserves a special tip and that I have done for some special associates.

Most of the places where I have stayed have not been what would count as regular stays (the Grand Flora for a while and the good ole Rive Gauche were the only ones, and the Flora doesn't have a lounge).  Most of the places where I do stay (like the Ledra) they tend to be interns, who are wonderful, but seldom the same ones twice.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

THANK YOU for posting this and raising this issue.  And, not surprisingly, our colleagues had already articulated many of my perceptions and practices:  I look forward to seeing more responses, and I hope we'll get some reactions from the Marriott staff.  Much interesting food for thought.

• Having worked for tips for a number of years, I find myself "observing" or "studying" tipping behaviors in different venues, regions, and situations.  I agree that the lion's share of Marriott concierge lounge visitors do NOT tip.  Accordingly, unlike the U.S. domestic restaurant norm, it is not necessarily obvious that tipping is expected or appropriate.
    • I am inconsistent, at best, on this issue (for a host of reasons).
    • To my mind, better service merits a tip (in the concierge lounge as well as elsewhere).  Staff that help solving problems or making travel or dining recommendations - to my mind - merit special treatment.  Staff that leave the lounge open an extra few minutes or - and this is one of my favorites - save some extra dessert for me - are definitely entitled to something extra.
    • I fall into that category of hotel guests that distinguishes between rationales for tipping for all services.  For example, I am disinclined to tip for items (or services) that should have been in my room already.  If the cleaning staff failed to replenish towels, I am not inclined to tip the individual that brings the towels that should have been there already.
    • I have heard many (many, many) frequent travelers (vehemently) exclaim that the concierge lounge is a perk that they have earned and, accordingly, they won't tip for something they are entitled to.  Or, in other words, having to tip in the concierge lounge defeats the purpose.  (For those who consider the concierge lounge an oasis - rather than a source of free food - this may not resonate.)
    • Similarly, longer stays and the accompanying attention and special service typically merits (and deserves) a tip.
    • It is difficult to determine a benchmark - or an appropriate amount - to tip in the concierge lounge.  Should you tip on the value of what you consume?  If the food is better and more plentiful (at some of the wonderful lounges in places like Singapore or Budapest or Buenos Aires), do the staff deserve a better tip?  Should you tip based upon the amount of time you spend in the lounge?  Are you tipping a standard amount (15-20 percent of the value of your stay) or are you tipping the individual that makes your experience memorable or special?  All of the above?  None of the above?
    • I think we all agree that the staff that offer you (or continue to ply you with) wine (or alcohol) gratis is most likely to receive a tip.  Should we - as Marriott customers - encourage Marriott staff to offer free wine to folks who have tipped in the past (or appear willing to tip) and charge the folks who are not inclined to tip (or are not carrying their wallets or purses in the CL)?
    • All of which begs the question: when you're down in the lobby (outside of the concierge lounge) do you tip the concierge?  for a response to any question?  only for performing a task (or obtaining a reservation or a ticket)? 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I agree there is a fine line between being served and getting service that you would expect for the room price being paid.  In the lounge there is a steady stream of folks whom I have observed who do not want their tab on their bill (either because they have entered the lounge illegally or know that their expense will not be reimbursed when on business) but it is hard to know if the cash offers includes a tip.

I consider the lounge in most cases to be a perk earned, and if I choose not to buy any alcohol, then I am merely eating at a hotel restaurant for which I have paid. On weekends where breakfast coupons are offered, I always tip the server since he or she is working for those tips.  Just my read!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

My outlook, too, anadyr, although I just consider it to be the difference in the way waitresses are paid vs hostesses and not because of a perk.  I tip on the value of the food for a comped breakfast since waitresses depend on tips.  I don't think the CL falls under the category of the wages allowed by the government to be paid to food service personnel.  I would be very surprised since that is a service provided by the hotels.  If one of the hostesses were to ever serve wine to my husband, then I'm sure he would tip.  

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

I ALWAYS tip in the concierge lounge...$1-$2, if alone, $2-$3 if accompanied by my spousal equivalent. I usually hand it directly to the attendant upon leaving the lounge.

ab3i Platinum 4 Reviews

I usually only use the CL to get water, but on stays that i actually use the CL (meeting the team for a end of the day sync-up) I'll tip the CL attendant. Also, if i use the CL regularly (even if i am only using it for the water), I'll tip the CL attendant on the day of departure. Once exception to this was my stays at a NY Marriott that I stayed at for about 9 months, every sunday-thursday, and the CL attendants went above and beyond every week ( leaving a snack and water in my room when i was checking in late, being generous with the pour's of scotch when i'd go to the lounge etc. etc.). I made sure i tipped all the CL staff at that hotel generously (gift cards / cash etc.; stopping by and saying hello to them if i was passing by the CL even if i didn't need anything).

In most Marriotts in Europe that have CLs, you simply serve yourself to wine, beer, other beverages (everything is free) as well as hors d'oeuvres and desserts.  It was only in Turkey and Egypt (where it was still free) that you were served by someone, hence my money under the table. (The under the table part was a 'just in case' for those people since they may not have been encouraged to pour the wine liberally or take tips.)

I have actually had the lounge attendants (where they exist) do almost nothing for me except once in a while ask for my room number.  The people who refill the food in the serving area, if they interact with you -- or once at the Ledra helped me with Greek -- are a different matter.

I also tip when there is no CL and weekend breakfasts are served complimentary in the hotel restaurant.

That would be above and beyond.  I agree that tipping is deserved then.  I once saw a hostess in the Dallas Ren. who sent food to someone who stayed there often and was sick.  I would tip then, too.

I also tip extra to the housekeeper in a room where I've had to ask for late check out for some reason since that sometimes will put them behind in their schedule.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Same here, I always leave something.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I fall in the category of tipping for service delivered directly for my benefit - if they are providing me drinks or food or clearing tables, helping with reservations, providing information, etc.  I am a very generous tipper for cabs that go fast or take the most direct route, restaurant staff that are clearly professionals and serve with both attention to detail but giving you your privacy and space (I have been accused of over tipping in europe, since they are professional wait staff who get a living salary/wage, but I would rather over than under tip) and, in general folks who take their service profession seriously and appear to geniunely care about delivering excellence.  Agree with SSINDC on the issue of having to call and ask for something that should have already been taken care of - towels, shampoo, iron, roll-away if requested in advance, etc.  I am not inclined to tip but always feel guilty when I don't, since there is a good chance the person delivering the requested items may not have been the one to err in originally delivering them.

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Great idea for a post.  I fall in the category of an occasional tipper with the deciding factor beinwe quality of service received.  It is nice to see the other approaches and opinions . 

thor Gold 13 Reviews

I too do not carry cash all the time esp. on local and short trips.  Tipping on CL for me is also a hit and miss.  However, I will go out of my way to get cash if the service rendered was above the norm.

While we are on the subject of tipping, do you tip your housekeeper?  Say, 2 night weekend stay or etc?  I will usually leave 5-10 dollars in the room (desk) but of course, at times, I forget.  Would like to know what others do.  There was a time I left a check for a housekeeper that went above and beyond.  I knew her name and asked for her last name; I asked for the manager if this is appropriate (during checked out) and she said it was alright.  So I gave the manager the envelope to give to her.

Good to read post about hotel tippings.  At times, I'm just not sure what's appropriate.  Thank you!

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on tipping.  I always tip the housekeeper in a fancy European hotel 5-10 euros a day; at an ok hotel about a euro.

ab3i Platinum 4 Reviews

i usually tip housekeeping, 5-20$ for my standard 3 night stays, depending on the location.

When I left Prague, I gave the rest of my Czech Republics (or whatever they are) to the maid.  She seemed happy about it.  I also tipped the morning lady and the evening lady in the CL at the end of my stay.  They really did a great job.

The porter wasn't happy that my brother-in-law wouldn't let him take our bags.  He grumpily told us, "This IS a five star hotel, you know!"  I guess he must've felt that if we wouldn't give him an opportunity to do his job and earn a tip that he would give us a "tip" instead!  (I don't know if it's because my brother-in-law is Aussie or frugal or that he just honestly drives a hard bargain, but he's not much of a tipper.  In Oz, service personnel are paid well, and so tips are not really expected.  If it had been just me, I would've happily let the porter take our bags.  That's one of the perks I would happily enjoy while being on a special holiday, but to each his own.)

I read one Aussie teenager's thoughts on customs in the U.S. after she was an exchange student in CA.  She didn't see why people in the U.S. tipped because they make decent wages in Australia.

If you think about it, there wouldn't have to be tipping here in the states if the federal wages didn't exempt the employers from paying them less.  And then the IRS taxes them as if they earn tips on everything that they should, so the IRS is sometimes being unreasonable.  I think I got a dime for a tip for the summer I worked as a waitress there.  I found out one of the manager's daughters was very "religious" but was taking all of my tips while she wiped the tables and I took the orders.  Her "non-religious, wild" younger sister dug through the trash to get the dime tip that I'd thrown away because "I never got tips".

There was a restaurant in Northeast Mall in Hurst, TX years ago that asked that people not tip because they were already being given wages and raises.

Someone else asked how people could be so insensitive as to not tip "working people".  Well, not all people have jobs where they are tipped, but they make minimum wage and support themselves.  Does that mean they shouldn't eat out?  Some would say they should only get take-out at most, I guess.

I worked with a woman who made minimum wage.  She bought her own food and kept it on a separate shelf from her husband's, whose food was much better than hers because he made good wages but gave her nothing.  She paid her own way to all activities they went to together.  They did separate income taxes because he made his money and she made hers.  (Not a real marriage in my book.)  But she left a quarter for a tip and did so very reluctantly once when we ate out together.  I say I couldn't have lived under those conditions, but I wasn't in her shoes, since she had grown up in a family with an alcoholic father who beat her mother and sometimes all they had to eat were crackers.

When my husband and I were dating, we went to a buffet restaurant and my 2 sons sat in the booth on my side.  They were young toddlers and I had no wedding ring on.  Every time my "then date" emptied his drink, she was Johnny-on-the-spot with a refill, ignoring my sons and me.  When we were through, she was standing near when I said "Let ME tip." as I got my coin purse out.  She quickly hopped over and asked if there was anything she could get me.  I coldly replied, "No, thank you." as I got a penny out of my coin purse.  Her mouth dropped.  She had worked so hard for the tip she was counting on.

I doubt that many of you have been in the situations that many people face yet some judge as if everyone is in theirs. 

eb5147

sounds like someone hit a chord with you on this subject.  I would totally agree with you that this subject is very personal to some and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  Personally, I have always felt that it is not my responsibility to make sure someone makes a fair wage.  It is their employers responsibility.  I tip generously when someone goes above and beyond for me, but do not feel anyone is entitled to any tip just because it is customary.  Just as my 'bonus' (I would compare a bonus to a tip) is not guaranteed, nor should a tip.  I truly hope folks can understand that my position is not elitist, because it isn't, and I am not.  Would someone tip the hygienist at the dentist office?  How about the stewardess on your next flight?  Ever tip her?  When we accept the responsibility for a piece of someone's income, the employer will never re-take that responsibility back.  That's my opinion.

How people can be insensitive to working people surprises me.

You're right, shoeman.  That anyone could even make this statement irks me to no end.  Everyone has to think the way everyone else does?  BORING!!  That would mean we were all cut from the same mold.  We're not.

To my way of thinking, it's really insensitive to think that everyone is in the same boat as everyone else.

I agree with you completely about the tipping.

And many times, when I tip a beautician, I get home to discover that the botched haircut I got was covered up really well by backcombing and hairspray and I feel doubly robbed that I tipped for that botched haircut.  My hair is baby fine and I find out that the permanent I got is burning my hair because it wasn't rinsed enough or timed correctly after the chemicals are put in and the burning smell of my hair makes me have to wash it that evening.  I'm through with perms for that reason.

When I was young and had 2 babies to support on my own, I was told I had to donate to the office for them to give toys to children whose mothers were on welfare.  I chose to work, even for minimum wage at $1.65 / hr. so I could advance hopefully and so I wouldn't have time to worry.  They were telling me that I had to donate to these women whose children were getting more than mine?

I was told on another job that I had to donate the same as everyone else for a blender for a wedding gift because her friend took up the collection and said that's what she wanted.  She (the one taking up the collection) was single, living at home, and able to buy a new Mustang because that's the only thing she had to make a payment on.  She also lived in the same neighborhood as Tom Landry and went to school with his daughter.  (That shows what she was used to.)

I think a lot of people are just in their own little worlds and don't bother to find out what it's like for others.

BTW, living here at RI for the last 3 years, I've heard the housekeepers talk about their paychecks.  They're bigger than I could ever make.  And the hairpieces they wear, the nails they have applied, and the nights out that I hear about are more than I ever spend on those kinds of things.

EB  - you made my day!  as we used to say, 'keep on truckin''

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

pluto77, Your description of the money as Czech republics made my day!!!  Love it!  That is definitely something I would say

I leave $5 each day for housekeeping (even at RI and Courtyard) and then 5-10 on checkout depending on the space i have. if i got a nice upgraded suite i leave 10 on check out day. Most times i just find housekeeper in AM and exchange my towels and hand her a 5.  i feel these folks work hard and many time are unappreciated. i have many good connections and friends at my regular hotels making friends with the employees.  I use to work in the service industry so i appreciate these low wage, hard working folks.

Floridatravels

I respect and admire your generous position on tipping.  However, I wonder why a nice room or suite upgrade would prompt you to tip the housekeeper mpre generously.  why not tip the front desk clerk that upgraded you?  just-sayin'......

I tip more as there is more space to clean.  Larger bathrooms, living room and bedroom, takes alot more time to clean larger space.  At my regular hotels I will give the front desk person a small gift if they get me my favorite room.  thanks for the question.

b.g.dixon Platinum 33 Reviews

Interesting comments,

I'm a housekeepers dream.  I always leave my hotel room spotless.  I guess I'm just a neat freak!  I, too, leave a tip for the housekeepers and the CL staff.  If I see the housekeeper in the hallway, I might ask for shampoo, etc.; I do give a tip.  Most are shocked of the tip as though they don't usually get tips.

I too am a housekeepers dream.  I was taught to always leave it better than you found it (and neither here nor there, but to help out in the kitchen.)  I've spent dozens of family vacations at my parents vacation homes where the rule is, when you're done, you clean it and leave it fresh and ready for the next family member.  So it's just habit.  Sometimes quite honestly, I forget to leave a tip for housekeeping.  I hope at least on those occasions that being a "clean" guest is gift enough.

jimbomarie Platinum 4 Reviews

I have traveled for years and appreciate that CL persons do this for a living and deserve a tip even mores than perhaps Restaurant servers.  You get the Food for Free and I would bet that many business persons put in for cash reimbursement on Expense accounts.  How people can be insensitive to working people surprises me.  I not only tip CL personnel, but room service every day.

Ever leave something behind in your room.  Don't wait until the last day to tip them.  They will remember you even if they don't get to know you.  Leave a note with a happy face and a few dollars.  If you ever forget a Charger, cell phone, etc.  They will remember and even go out of their way to help the one person who tips

b.g.dixon Platinum 33 Reviews

Great advice.... You're right!  I've done that too.  By the way, are you sure the person cleaning your room is the one who gets to keep the tip?  I've encountered the supervisor with the clipboard who checks the room before housekeeping cleans it, will sometimes take the tip.  This usually happens on the day of check out.  It might be better to  aways put the tip in the hands of the person you want to have it.  Just food for thought.

Although I too am a housekeeper's dream, I have often wondered if my large tips end up in the hands of the person who refills the minibar (which would be a double problem since I hate minibars)!

you are correct in stating that sometimes the supervisor takes the tip, that is why i try to tip each day and then on checkout i try to find the person who will be cleaning my room and hand it to that person or leave it slightly hidden under something in the bathroom with a note should i not find the correct person.  on multiple nights stays i hang the do not disturb sign and find the housekeeper to get fresh towels and other needed items and hand them a five.  It seems like we are in the minority on this topic based on others responses.

I am sure most business travelers expense a daily tip for housekeepers and for the FREE breakfast in the CL and it is a real shame they are actually cheating on their exp reports and pocket the money verses actually leaving a small token of gratitude for those who provide the service and make minimal wages.

Totally agree.  I spend several weeks at a RI in n fl each year.  I tip the housekeeping staff and staff at breakfast.  on one of my stays i had left a jacket in the room and the housekeeper ran down to the parking lot to catch me before i pulled away.  Nice touch!

doniel Member

It used to be that everyone paid with cash, or possibly a check, for everything, everywhere. However, we now live in the credit and debit card age and are heading for mobile payments, but one should always try to tip servers with cash wherever possible. Source of article: Tipping

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I agree that it is much better to tip with cash, but restaurant bills can get high and that is a lot of loose cash to carry around.

lifeontheroad Platinum

If I receive service I tip.  In the CL's I regularly visit I get very lovely service. If I run in for water at night I don't tip.

I generally tip once a week in the CL as the people are the same and they split evenly - I have asked.

The same goes for maid service I generally tip 2-5 a day depending on the service. If it was horrendous I call and deal with it immediately.  I have had wonderful housekeeping folks who have noticed things like I left a very expensive hair brush - they put aside for my next stay and left me a note when they saw I had arrived. They make sure I have water in my room, extra glasses - as I like to put my toothbrush in one to drain.

I travel with cash specifically for tips.  If i eat in the CL free of charge i us this to get reimbursed - under $24.99 no receipt required.

I did work in the service industry so i am very sensitive to this.