28 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2014 1:16 PM by vacationtime2014 RSS

Very Little CY Chatter

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Maybe it is just me, but I have noticed recently there is very little active discussions or blogs by MRI on in the Courtyard Group.  Seems most of the threads are old and get little or no views.

Maybe the Courtyard Group has gotten swallowed up in other insider group discussions/blogs and it is no longer a relevant group which should remain open.  Most of the postings are from Insider Community folks and not MRI folks. 

Has Courtyard lost that many people and insiders within the last few months of Marriott the devaluation of points and amenities?

Anyone care to offer some thoughts on this subject?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Moosic, Pennsylvania, USA
Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA Courtyard By Marriott
  • Re: Very Little CY Chatter
    eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I continue to stay at CY in Columbia, SC, but I've said just about everything.  Even though I have problems there at times, it is a good corp rate that includes breakfasts for everyone in the room, and a great buy when that is added in.

One problem I had again the last time I was there was the housekeeper again entering my room at 8:47 A.M.  The DND sign had fallen onto the floor.  They hang on the door knob and easily fall off.  What gets me is why she had to disturb anyone at that time when she didn't even have a cart with her.

The last time I complained about this, VAboy Scott told me that I should have bolted the door and put the DND sign out.  Why should that be my responsibility?  I have stayed in a RI for 3 years straight and I don't put a DND on the door unless I don't need anything, but then, I'm not checking out there, either.  I don't lock the door there and the housekeepers come in and I don't worry about it.  If they see that I'm still sleeping, they come back later.

And in Columbia, SC; I have the added reason not to lock my door of allowing my son to enter if he needs to when he stays with his friends about 10 miles away.

This is the 2nd time someone has entered at exactly 8:47 A.M.  Robert (GM) had told me after the first time that they would put a notation on my card that they wouldn't enter until they knew I had checked out.  They only enter that early when your room is marked as a check out day.

I saw Carolyn (head housekeeper) a few minutes later when I went down to breakfast and she told me that they had to get there at 8:30 A.M.  SO?  That means they go to a king suite and knock the first thing when they get there?  I told her that sound doesn't turn corners that much.  (It would have to turn 3 times when in the bedroom.)  Those are the rooms I would think management would want to pay particular attention to not disturbing.  They have check out lists and lists of who has actually left that the desk clerk puts out periodically.  Why not use them?

Kevin (desk clerk) apologized and said he would guarantee it didn't happen again, but I told him that didn't cut it.  It had happened before and Robert had promised then it wouldn't happen again.  

I have a little more than $1000 of cheques and gift cards to use up, but especially the $350 in cheques that expire in Dec.  Then I'll start using my IHC points that I just converted some of our vacation club points into and see about the HI that's nearby, or use the option for reduced rates for Choice hotels from another timeshare benefit that just started.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

IAH,

I can only say that Courtyard has lost my business. I made a decision that I'll stay at a competitor's property in protest. All other Marriott brands still have my business.

My CY stays for 2011 and 2012 both measured 21 nights. 2013 had 8 through March...zero since. The coffee decision, and even worse, the explanation given that "surveys" showed guests preferred standing in unending lines and paying for Starbucks-like coffee was the last straw/insult for me. IHG has picked up the lost CY stays.

superchief1 Platinum

I agree with you. I have replaced all of my Courtyard stays with Hilton Garden Inn, Hyatt Place, or Springhill. With the upcoming elimination of the platinum arrival gift, I will no longer have any preference for FS properties and will choose based on price, location, and service. There is no longer a reason to remain loyal to Marriott. This is very disappointing because I have been loyal since the inception of the original Marquis program, and I still have influence on the travel plans for our marketing team.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I agree with you, pained.  No more Courtyards for me, either.

All great comments, keep them coming please.

My only real CY experience has been at the https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/rswap-courtyard-fort-myers-at-i-75-and-gulf-coast-town-center/ in the last few years, it is always a great place to call home when in S.W. Florida and service is great.  Then again, our last visit was in January of this year so I'll see what happens when I am in the CY hotel in July.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

We really enjoyed the CY in Homestead, FL last Nov, too.  It was a brand new multi-story across from a nice mall on the south end of town and we got an extra 2500 points, probably because it was brand new.  The previous year, we had stayed at the new Hampton Inn next door and it wasn't even there.  We use hotel coupons a lot from the travel centers like truck stops and welcome center.  There was a coupon for that CY and I wanted to use our E-cheques since we had them anyway.  But it is a really nice place.  Hampton Inn does have the cont. breakfast, but our points and checks weigh in heavily when the price is about the same.

We don't have to worry about nightly qualifications since lifetime plat. but qualify for plat. this year and next anyway.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I have a few fave Courtyards that I frequent and will continue to do so.  I'm not a coffee drinker so that was never an real issue for me.  Most of my stays at Courtyards have been on weekends when full service Marriott's were not offering free breakfast either.  Most of the time I have better luck at getting upgrades at Courtyard and I enjoy having the extra space.  Once the free weekend breakfast kicks in at FS Marriotts they may influence my decision to choose a FS Hotel over Courtyard for weekend stays.  However if a FS Marriott charges for parking while a nearby Courtyard does not then I will more than likely book the Courtyard hotel.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I haven't been staying at many Courtyards recently.  And with Marriotts soon offering free breakfast on weekends for Gold and Platinum members, I will probably be looking at Marriott as a first option for weekend travel.

There are some good Courtyards out there--I really like Courtyard Kansas City at Briarcliff and Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma is nothing unique but a nice one.

tommelzoni Platinum 3 Reviews

Yes, I have moved to Hilton Garden Inn and the free breakfast for elite members is nice.    Sad to see Marriott losing its way.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I prefer SpringHill Suites over Courtyard when I can find them. As my travels often take me to out of the way places where choices are more limited, Farifield Inn gets my business much of the time. I saw a comment that Marriott brands seem to be blending and I have to agree. The amenities at the lower and middle range properties have converged. Over the years Courtyard may have lost some of its charm. Fairfield isn't all that far behind now. If there are going to be multiple brands, they ought to be distinct. In some cases they still are, but those differences are becoming less noticeable.

red-in-la Platinum 1 Reviews

I have had two stays this month (slow month).  Had a choice at a CY and a RI right next to each other.  CY was $10 less ?.  I went to the Residence Inn both times.  Why go to the CY?  They offer noisy wall air conditioners, single small rooms, the Bistro and $3 Sbux.  None of which are appealing. 

While next door is the RI with central air, the equivalent of two rooms, full size fridge plus microwave, free breakfast, small dinners 3 nights a week, free beer 3 nights a week and free non-Sbux coffee.  There is not ONE reason to stay at the CY.

CY must be relying on the non professional travelers and the folks passing through to get on or off cruise ships.  Maybe those on larger per-diem allocations don't mind.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I have never been a CY fan, and with all the changes, am less so now.

Prefer Full Service Marriotts as they are the closest to the way Marriott use to be before splitting off into all these brands.

Have only stayed at CYs when there is no other option where I am, like when on business in CT, or transferring from Amtrak to DC Metro in New Carrolton.  Most of my office prefers Hilton's or Holiday Inns, so I have to do alot of campaigning to get them to stay at the Marriott as we travel and stay as a group, and when its a CY, I spend all sorts of time making sure they get their free breakfast that is included in our corporate rate as its a complicated process of being charged for it and then having it removed from the bill which confuses everyone, so I literally have to walk them all through it by being in the Bistro as they all drift in for breakfast.

Makes me feel like I am the office travel agent just so I can stay there. Next time I may just let them pick and stay where ever they decide to go.

vacationtime2014 Member 1 Reviews

Hi,  I usually stay at other hotels but I thought I would give this a try.  I made a reservation in January for a weekend in August for a concert at Montage Mountain, Scranton PA. I just got a voicemail 2 days ago that they moved my reservation along with 55 others to a hotel in Wilkes Barre no where near the concert venue because they overbooked. I have been looking forward to staying where the concert is for months.  Now I have to spend my time commuting to the venue because it is too late to book anything else in that location.  I should have been informed in January.  I did not have a good first impression on this hotel .    

j

Are you telling us the hotel simply changed your reservation to another property?  If so that is simply wrong since you already had the confirmation.  Have you contacted the hotel and asked what the heck is going on referring to your confirmation number on the reservation you made in January?

Yes My reservation was for the hotel in Moosic.  They left a voicemail that I just got 2 days ago. My reservation still said Scranton. I called the hotel Thursday night and they did not call me back on Friday morning. Called customer care at 12:30. Noticed at 10:30 am they sent me an email reservation confirmation with the same reservation # and a different location for Wilkes Barre.  Finally got a call from the manager after 4 and he did not change it back. He also informed me that 2 weeks ago they had to call 56 people to tell them they are not staying there and will be moved to Wilkes Barre.  We are all going to the Peachfest on Montage Mountain so that is why we made reservations for Montage Mountain.  I am still waiting for a response from customer care.

I did receive a call back from Danielle at the new Wilkes Barre hotel that will open soon. She was very nice and helpful. 

Maybe some of our Insider Team like KatieC, jmart, The specified item was not found. or merb can get some more information from you and elevate this to the "Greater Team" for answers.  A reservation is not something that should get moved or cancelled by the hotel, when it's sold out it's sold out and who has the right to determine what people get moved etc.?

KatieC Member

Hello, hello! Thanks for looping us in, IAHFLYR.

vacationtime2014 - This looks like a great festival! The Peach Music Festival | August 14-17 | Montage Mountian. We are big fans of the Allman Brothers, Trey and J.J. Grey...and my husband loves Rich Robinson. Lots of bands I haven't heard of as well. Is this your first time going?

Now, about your hotel stay. Can you send me a private message with your Rewards # and the best way to reach you? We'll look into this for you.

I went to the Peach Music Festival last year. It was great. I only went for 1 day last year and I decided I would buy the 4 day ticket and stay overnight.  The bands were great.  45 year anniversary for ABB and probably the last peach for the ABB. I really enjoyed Bob Weir.  I recently watched some videos of JJ Grey and really glad to see them.  Last year I saw Royal Southern Brotherhood there.  The band has Devon Allman, Greg's son along with Cyril Nevil and Mike Zito, Yonicco Scott and Charlie Wooten.  I have been to see them many times. They are really good. (but won't be at the Peach this year). If you like the ABB you would probably like them too.

I wanted to stay at the hotel because it is close to the venue and they have a bus running all day. We thought we would be able to go to the shows and come back to the room for a break before the night shows.  I don't think we can do this if we are staying in Wilkes Barre.  I have been in the traffic for this weekend the last 2 years and got stuck for hours. Also, much of Route 81 is one lane for construction so it's going to be really bad all weekend from Wilkes Barre to Moosic.  

Thanks for your reply.  I will send the rewards #.

Location Brand Hotel
              Moosic, Pennsylvania, USA
              Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA Courtyard By Marriott

Hi Katie,

I have been back and forth with customer care and social media all week.  They keep saying they will help me then a few days later when I follow up with them nothing was changed.  Jeremy the hotel manager told Jan and social media # that I was satisfied with a room upgrade and shuttle to the concert from Wilkes Barre.  I never said that!

Jan said my reservation is not an upgrade and she could not give info about a shuttle.

I spoke to the Peachfest people who will provide the shuttle to Moosic and they said they are not providing any shuttle to Wilkes Barre.

I spoke to Danielle at the Wilkes Barre hotel and she said they are not providing any shuttle from Courtyard in Wilkes Barre.

I am still waiting for my reservation to be confirmed for Moosic where I made it in January.

Let me know if you heard anything on your end.

I appreciate your help.     I had a call from Brittany at Social media on Monday that she would be calling me soon with great news, but she never called me back.

Thanks.

KatieC Member

Thank you for letting us know, vacationtime2014. I am sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time getting this resolved and we've asked a specialist to get in touch with you ASAP this morning. Please keep us posted!

KatieC,

Sure hope this issue gets resolved, but maybe you can explain how this happens in the first place.  I would really hope this is an isolated incident as when I have a reservation I don't care if the hotel is sold out or not, I have a room reserved and don't want to be moved regardless.

KatieC Member

Understood, IAHFLYR. We'll get back to you.

I just had a message from someone on trip advisor. He had a reservation in Moosic for the same weekend. He called the hotel after he read my review and they told him he is moved to wilkes barre too. He (or she) is waiting for a call from the hotel. He only checked because he read my review .  They never even let him know they changed it.
                      om

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

vacationtime2014, I feel your frustration. This could not have been handed more poorly by the property. They should never have changed your reservation, at the very least should have informed you, and now through several channels and lots of time passing, still can't get an answer? That is absolutely inexcuseable. I truly hope the situation is recified, and in addition you should be compensated for the time/energy/frustration you have put into this.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...