35 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2013 10:44 AM by iahflyr RSS

Tripadvisor 2013

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

A list of best destinations, hotels etc from Tripadvisor for 2013.

What are people's thoughts?

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/TravelersChoice-Destinations-cTop-g1-a_Mode.expanded

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/TravelersChoice

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Tripadvisor 2013
    psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Paris, New York, London, Rome, Venice, San Francisco, Florence, Chicago, Buenos Aires.  I have only been to 9 of the 25, so I cannot speak to the others.  I would say these certainly belong on the list but not sure if I would order them this way.  Paris, Rome, London, San Francisco, Boston are probably my favorite cities - followed by NYC (in small doses), New Orleans (in smaller doses), Washington DC.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

sg,

Great post and information!

I don't know how NYC makes the list, but the rest of them look pretty good!

sg1974 Gold

jerry,

In general, I think the cities on the list should be on most people's itineraries to visit at some stage.

I'm surprised you would discount NYC.

I think it's a great city to visit as a tourist.

We have been several times over Christmas and those are experiences we will never forget.

Particularly being snowed in one year and catching a train in the middle of the night to DC!

SG

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

sg,

Could you list your top UK cities, please? If you can add Ireland to the list, I'd appreciate your thoughts, also.

sg1974 Gold

pp,

we are at airport on way to Tuscany. Was pleased to see most of the places I have noted to see were included on the professors list.

For the uk outside of London I prefer the smaller places. It depends on how many times you have visited & what you would like to see.

i Like the Cotswolds area

oxford

cambridge

bath

canterbury

stratford upon avon

chester

york

devon & cornwall nice area to visit

plenty of options these are just a few places to start off with.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

My favorite UK cities are:

1-Durham

2-York

3-Exeter

4-Canterbury

5-Chester

(And I do love the East End of London, just mostly not the rest.)  I would also add to my favorites the area around Salisbury Cathedral and the cathedral itself.

And here are my favorite French cities (I love France outside of Paris and have spent much time there).

1-Avignon

2-Dijon

3-Le Mont St-Michel

4-Rouen

5-La Rochelle

6-Marseille (sort of weird for this list since it's a very large city)

7- Nîmes

8-Reims

9-St-Malo

10-Chinon

But my absolute favorite place in France is Vézelay, the basilica of Mary Magdalene, which is one of the most beautiful Romanesque/Gothic basilicas in the world, and a town full of history and magical ambience (and great restaurants both there and in St-Père-sous-Vézelay.  And while in Burgundy (starting in Dijon) visit Beaune for wine tastings and amazing dining experiences, Sémur-en-Auxois for great beauty and historical interest, and pretty much everywhere else in this, my favorite region of France.

France is much like the US in that every part of it is different in almost every way from every other part except for language.  Brittany, which I love, is the least 'French.'  Burgundy is the best wine and some of the best history.  Normandy has both great history medieval and modern. Avignon and the Côtes-de-Rhône region is famous not only for the 14th C. pontifical palace and great culture, but nearby Arles (Van Gogh), Nîmes (fabulous Roman ruins, like in Orange), etc.  Nearby is the village of Èze on a hilltop. La Rochelle on the west coast has a checkered history esp. in the 16th C. but is an amazing town, as is St-Malo in Brittany -- which although mostly destroyed in WW2 has been amazingly reconstructed.  This is where many of the first settlers to Canada embarked from.

And I can't forget Albi -- it's in the southwest near Toulouse (which I don't like at all -- probably even less than Paris).  Albi is the town where the counteroffensive against heretic Cathars took place.  You arrive by train and cross the river to see the amazing fortress-like cathedral of Sainte-Cécile.  Then you walk in and the entire interior is amazing -- all painted in the Middle Ages with one of the most amazing Last Judgment scenes anywhere.

Sorry, this is turning out different from where I started.  But I keep thinking of more places since I've lived in France for years of my life.  Carcassonne is ok, but it's Robin Hood/Inquisition Disneyland.  For a more real experience to Foix, a castle that never fell to the English during centuries of medieval warfare.

Oh, and since I'm a pilgrimage person, how can I forget St-Jean-Pied-de-Port in the foothills of the Pyrenees.  An amazingly beautiful town in Basque country, you will meet more pilgrims en route to Santiago de Compostella in Spain than tourists. Nearby is the city of Pau and also the pilgrimage site of Lourdes.  Of the latter, I went there expecting the worst in terms of spiritual tourism misused but was wrong.  Despite the souvenir street, the city is topographically gorgeous with the mountains and palm trees, and the spirit in the grotto area reflects real love (except for the horrible human sized candles you can buy by nation.

Anyone interested in any of these areas, please contact me!
              ProfChiara

Loved both Bath and York.  York was like something right out of Dickens.  Can only imagine how beautiful it would be around Christmas.

We visited Sudeley Castle in the Cotswolds and it was beautiful.  I recall, it was a gorgeous, sunny day and as we were walking up to the castle, there was a falconry demonstration.  Just set the tone for a wonderful visit.  Stayed that night in a 300 year old farmhouse in Carnforth, on the way to Scotland.

I love NYC but after having lived there, early in my career, usually 3 days is about my limit.  I like going up, seeing a show, having some great dinners and exploring a neighborhood or two.  But I have seen the sites so many times, most would be repeats.  I do believe it warrants inclusion - particularly for those around the country or globe who have not had the opportunity to visit.  Nothing is quite like NY,NY.

I'm with you, PSUdad.  While I've had some nice trips to NYC, most of my experience has been the airports, and they have treated me so horrifically (though ironically better than other travelers because of elite status) that I nearly hate the city.  I did have a good time in off-Broadway commenting on Saint Joan last year, and I love going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  I'm a city person, but give me a small city like Boston any day.

As for my list, Paris is not on it.  I have always had a hate/like experience with the city since I've lived there many years of my life.  There are certainly wonderful things about the city, but I will take any other city in France over it.

My list of relatively big cities is:
      1) Venice

2) Rome

3) Athens

4) Avignon

5) Marseille

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

we are all different...  give me:

1. Florence

2 .Rome

3. San Francisco

4. Hong Kong

5  New York

6. Rio

7-25.  still developing

Jerry  - I am always surprised and saddened when folks have a bad impression of NYC.  I have spent more time there than anywhere (including home) in the last 30 years and have enjoyed it to the hilt.  I have been blessed with enjoying the city while on an expense account and entertaining clients.  I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

Anyway, that all I got....

Hi Shoeman,

Almost all of my negative experiences of NYC have to do with its airports.  I NEVER have good experiences in them, esp. JFK.  About 2-3 years ago I got stuck overnight from Europe 9 times in one year flying to JFK.  Since, I have avoided it as much as I can while getting best airfares. This is the first time I've flown into JFK in over a year, and of course it was horrible.

As for NYC, I like it, though as the old saying goes, 'It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.'  I love the museums, restaurants, etc. yet getting there and back is far more of a hassle for me than it's worth -- unless someone else is paying for it.

Cheers, ProfChiara

PS -- I noted Florence as your number 1.  It's probably my least favorite big city in Italy, probably because I've been there too many times (like Paris).  After leading alumni tours plus several research trips, I got to know the city kind of like I know Paris (see above).  First impressions were great but 3rd and 4th and 5th were not.  If in Tuscany, I would always go to Siena, Montepulciano, Montalcino, and in nearby Umbria my beloved Assisi. I guess this is one of those very subjective things since the first time I saw Florence I loved it and the first time I saw Venice I hated it -- and now that is completely reversed.

PS

Of North American cities here are my faves:

1) Québec

2) Boston

3) Montréal

4) Seattle

5) Toronto

6) San Francisco

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

shoeman,

You know I have upmost respect for your opinion, and I really have nothing against any city.  I have just never felt great about NYC.  It really may also be centered around my negative experiences at the airports.

Bottom line, there are just some cities I enjoy much more than others.  Charlotte, is one of them!

North American Big Cities in my top 10 for personal enjoyment:

Chicago

New Orleans

San Francisco

NYC

Boston

Washington

Toronto

Pittsburgh

Baltimore

Ottawa

Admittedly..a bit of an east coast bias.

North American Medium/Small Cities we enjoy:

Ocean City, MD

Annapolis, MD

Sedona, AZ

Corolla, NC

Dowajiac, MI

Lincoln, NE

Wilmington, DE

Block Island, RI

Lancaster, PA

Clemson, SC

Prof/Jerry

I appreciate opinion from both of you and understand folks concern with NYC.

Limiting the list to North America:

San Francisco

NYC

Boston

Santa Fe

Chicago

Denver

that list is in no particular order.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Well sg................fascinating to learn of people's preferences. My input would be:

Favourite US city: Chicago, because it has always seemed to be to be the most quintessentially American city

Favourite global cities:

1. Bangkok;

2. Berlin;

3. Istanbul;

4. Sydney

5. Shanghai

Best of luck,

A

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

sg1974

Favorite cities to visit:

1)  Rome

2)  Venice

3)  Paris

4)  NYC

5)  Denver

sg1974 Gold

gm1,

interesting list, I've been to 4 on your list.

only one I haven't visited is Denver. Why is this in your top 5? I don't know much about the city.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

sg1974

Denver is the largest city near eastern slope of the Rocky Mountains.  There are numerous day trips that are easy to accomplish from Denver that are suitable to a variety of interest levels.  Denver is also rich in the history of the "Old West" beginning with the Gold Rush of 1859.  Summer evenings are enjoyable as the climate is characterized by low humidity.  The old warehouse district recreated itself in the lower downtown area near Coors Field (baseball stadium) to become Lo-Do with numerous restaurants and drinking establishments, including a number of microbreweries.  I have found it enjoyable to spend a late afternoon in Lo-Do followed by a Rockies baseball game.  The 16 Street Mall (a pedestrian area with shuttle buses running down the center) also provides dining opportunities.  According to some, Denver is a top destination to visit if you are interested in microbrews.  As far as safety goes, it is no better or worse than other large cities.  If common sense prevails, its unlikely that one would experience any problems.  Of the geographic regions in the United States, I prefer the Rocky Mountain West. Consequently, I may be biased when listing Denver.

sg1974 Gold

gm1,

thanks for the information.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Here ya go painedplatinum,

In no particular order and not specific to size, location or country....just my favorite locations:

1.  Seattle

2. San Francisco

3. Bellagio, Italy

4. Portland, Oregon

5. Chicago

6. NYC

7. Boston

8. Washington, D.C.

9. Carmel, CA

10.Chapel Hill, N.C.

Nice List, IAH.  I need to get to Seattle, Portland, and Bellagio.

I think Seattle is one of the most underrated cities in the country.  I've been there twice, in January each time no less, and in each time I've had perfect weather, great meals, fantastic hotels, and a great stay.  I even ditched the conference a few times to venture to Chinatown and the Space Needle.  Great city!  Never been to Portland or Bellagio, though if you are referring to the Italian version of the latter I've been through it on a train.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

My only complaint about Seattle is the traffic, which is horrible.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I have to agree about the traffic.  And the hills make it challenging too! 

This was posted from my iPad, and I found I can post from it, if I select the advanced editor.

sg1974 Gold

PP,

yes Seattle and Portland are on my list to visit at some stage also.

sg

IAHFLYER

great list, great cities.  not sure about portland....

Yes profchiara my Belliago reference was the Italian version!

anadyr we always avoid the SEA traffic by walking.   Such a great walking downtown and the hills are not killers if one is not a couch potato.

We practice on San Francisco streets, so Seattle is a proverbial walk in the park, iahflier

The you have no issues with the streets in SEA either, we just love both SEA and SFO.

shoeman1000,  since my wife is from the Portland area we go back often to visit and have found the place to be always friendly, fun, great food and close to so many beautiful spots such as Mt. Hood, Multnomah Falls, Columbia River Gorge.  But to each their own right?

Portland is  great town except for the inhabitants (just kidding) and gets a little rain too.

IAHFLYER

I was actually in Portland while Mt Hood spewed ashes way back when.  While it was a beautiful site, the ashes were a mess.  I have a pair of nieces that live nearby, and I fully understand why folks would like the area.  as you said, to each his own, and it just isn't my cup of tea.  I prefer Seattle in the Northwest. 

We also prefer Seattle for all if offers, but Portland is still on the list.