53 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2015 2:06 PM by vickisocal RSS

What exactly is contained in a free continental breakast on weekends?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just wondering, because we've all had the plastic wrapped danishes, boxed OJ, and slightly overheated coffee at some other chains.  So will it be any of the following?

• A selection of breads and pastries
  • Fresh juices
  • Fresh fruits
  • Cereals, hot and cold
  • Coffee, tea, etc?

And if there is a breakfast buffet offered, how will the hotel be able to enforce the "continental" part of the buffet?

Inquiring minds want to know...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What exactly is contained in a free continental breakast on weekends?
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

The breakfast spreads in the lounges won't change, but if the lounge is closed, you'd have the option of a continental breakfast in the restaurant or the points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

OK and what does that include or does that vary by hotel and location?

Breakfast spreads in the lounge will vary by hotel and location, however many do have hot breakfast items.

I am confused Andy--do you mean that hotels with a CL will be open for Breakfast on the weekends? Is that the new new?

The news is that continental breakfast is now available for Gold and Platinum Elites and a guest 7-days a week in the US/Canada. Assuming the lounge is open, typical breakfast spreads will be available and some hotels have hot breakfast items. Or, for each day the lounge is closed, or if a full-service hotel doesn't have a lounge, you'd have the option of either continental breakfast for 2 in the restaurant or points.

Let me know if I'm missing something in your question.

smoothrobertl Gold

Sounds great. I recently stayed at a Courtyard in N.C. Guess what? I went to get a coffee for my wife and I had to pay for it!!! I could buy a Starbucks coffee fro9m the manager behind the desk. It was only $1.69. Ridiculous!! I have stayed 700 plus nights at Marriott brands and never had to pay for a coffee. Ever wonder why you get a free breakfast at Fairfield and pay at Courtyard (which is more expensive)?

Come on Bill....You have had 80 years of saving money on booze and smokes. Time to cough up the complimentary coffee!! Smoothrobertl

Marriott Associate Member

Good morning everybody.  It's good to know that there's so much interest in breakfast...after all, it's the most important meal of the day!  :-)  If you're trying to pin us down with a yes/no, black/white to the question of what, exactly is on a continental buffet and how a property enforces who-takes-what, we can't do that for you.  My best advice is -- what your experience is at Hotel X Monday - Friday either in their lounge or restaurant will probably be your experience at that same hotel on Saturday - Sunday.  The properties have until June 22nd to decide if they'll fulfill the weekend breakfast benefit via their lounge or their restaurant - so we need to give them a minute to work out their own  deets.

If you're interested in a perspective from my on-property days (which, admittedly were sooo last-century): breakfast buffet set-ups are arranged in logical order, and depending on the space, often provide a definite separation between 'continental' and 'full'.  Admittedly, the enforcer behavior can vary too - and that's just human nature.

BTW - loud and clear on the veiled meaning behind 'booze and smokes' smooth... 

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I just stayed at the San Mateo Marriott and the Concierge Lounge was closed on Sunday night and Monday morning due to Memorial Day Weekend; however, the hotel did a lot of great things because of this (and one of them might indicate what they will do for weekend breakfast):

(1) The front desk offered food vouchers for dinner; however, my credit card was still charged.  I think I was supposed to have told the server before ordering so that might be my fault.  I only ordered dessert and one drink; I'm not sure what $ amount the hotel would have allotted.

(2) Full breakfast buffet in the hotel restaurant including omelet station, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, red potatoes, frittata, sausage gravy and biscuits, breads, breakfast pastries, orange juice, fresh fruit, whole fruit, smoked salmon, oatmeal, cereal, and milk.  I imagine providing the buffet will be easier for the hotel than providing table service (continental breakfast).

I stayed on a free Category 4 certificate (the hotel is now a Category 5 property) and the front desk included self parking ($22/night) with the certificate, which was a nice touch.  Smart move by this Marriott since there are a lot of Marriotts in the area--SFO Marriott, Santa Clara Marriott and San Jose Marriott.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I assume that they offer continental thinking it is comparable to the CL.  However, In all cases to date, the CL has some hot eggs and hot meat.  As soon as you add these, it is considered a full breakfast.

It is gonna be interesting to see the rollout on the 22nd for sure.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

It's my understanding (from talking with front desk personnel) is that properties currently either serving hot breakfasts in their CL or offering breakfast vouchers on the weekend, will continue to do so.  The continental breakfast guarantee will come into play in those properties that previously offered no breakfast benefit or no more than continental breakfast.  I guess we will see. 

That would make sense though I am sure there will be hiccups along the way as this is implemented.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

shoeman, I talked with the concierge lounge attendeant at the MCI Marriott this morning.  It's her understanding that this hotel will discontinue the coupons for full breakfast for platinum on weekends and will instead issue a coupon for a continental breakfast since that's all that Marriott will require.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  I'm expecting the inconsistency to continue.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

NU.

That is very informative!

Thanks!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

We will find out after the date and get reports from those who stay.  Somehow, I think it will depend on the hotel as everything else seems to.

erc Platinum

I'm in complete agreement cal. Thank goodness skiadcock has generously agreed to update the flyertalk concierge lounge post with breakfast info and amenity gifts. Man, we're going to need an app (how about Perk Options or P.O. for short ) just to know if it's Tuesday, and you've got wine at check in and eggs in the morning, it must be Europe!  There's something to be said for SpringHill's uniformity vs. benefit roulette (although like our marketing expert superchief1 states, we don't want uniformity or we'll get the lowest common denominator, so let's roll the dice and keep everyone posted).

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Husker

I agree that there will continue to be discrepancies in the rollout.  I guess we will just need to see what happens and post our findings.  safe travels.

Hey everybody...  glad to see you're still perking away at bfast!  You're figuring it'll either be an egg-ceptional experience or we'll be toast. (I have been dying to use my breakfast humor lines, but alas, legal has made me stuff a muffin in it).  Anywho...  My team occasionally double Chex my work, and noticed I made a slight misstatement the other day. Here's the correct statement regarding a property's selection of serving weekend continental breakfast either in their lounge or restaurant:  the property may choose to serve in their lounge or in the restaurant on a WEEKLY basis, depending on their projected occupancy for the upcoming weekend.  

I'm berry sorry for the confusion (Momma tells me it takes grits to admit a mistake).

michellel

erc Platinum

Ha ha ha, like the former governator of Caleefornya might say, " Projected Occupancy -  That's a good one!" (sort of like Category increases based on redemption). But, it's always good to hear from you, no matter what the message.

Wow, now we know that there's still no really clear way to know.  Have you considered working on the tax code?  Goodness knows they need the help there. 

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Love the breakfast humor Michelle

If I understand you correctly, the hotel will tell the guest at check-in if the weekend cont'l breakfast will be served in the lounge or the restaurant - is that right?

And another question - in addition to the platinum arrival gift cards (see my post that I'm going to make in the Plat arrival downgrade thread - you're going to love the humor in that! ), is the property going to also give a weekend breakfast card where the guest chooses cont'l brekkie or the points?  Please advise on how the process will work.

Cheers.

Ski - Yes, when you check-in, the associate will let you know where continental breakfast is being served, and whether you wish to have that or the 750 points.

Regarding your 'other question'...  I get that you hate the new Platinum Arrival Gift $10 credit. That said, whichever day a Platinum member checks-in, they'll be offered a welcome gift of either 500 points or the F&B credit - same as today.  The welcome gift is separate and distinct from the weekend breakfast benefit.

Did I understand your question correctly?

Yes, you understood the questions correctly, so thanks for answering both.

You do get the irony in saying that 'the welcome gift is separate & distinct from the weekend breakfast bennie', when the change in arrival gift policy was included w/ the breakfast announcement

FWIW - I'm not the only one that thinks the change in arrival gift policy is more towards Marriott's benefit than the elites, but that's a discussion for the downgrade thread rather than sidetracking this what constitutes a continental breakfast thread.

I actually do have 2 questions re: the arrival gift that Insiders/FT/MPs need clarification on so I'll post them there, so would appreciate if you could answer or get the answers from your team.

BTW - I did LOL at all your breakfast references in your post a few posts above.  Well done you!

Cheers.

glparks Platinum 3 Reviews

Is the cont. breakfast on weekends option for the hotel?  Where we are in mid-stay they said that when the lounge is closed, it is closed. Period.

Good morning glparks - no, there is no "option" for the hotel - they must participate.  Those that are excluded are plainly stated, e.g., excluding resorts and a handful of hotels that will give 1,000 points instead of breakfast (I think the list of those hotels are up on the landing page now - I know it's all been approved).  However, please bear in mind that this benefit doesn't take effect until June 22nd, so that might be where the problem lies.  If you would like to share the name of the hotel with me, I'll be sure one of our hotel support folks reaches out specifically to work with them (and maybe do a little coaching on how to speak nicely to guests?!?).  Thanks for the feedback!

Michelle, your answer to glparks is correct (of course!).  But I'm wondering if a) the front desk clerk didn't know about the upcoming changes since they don't start until 6/22, or b) meant that the lounge will still be closed on the weekend & the cont'l brekkie will be in the restaurant.

On a dif note - someone on FT said he was concerned about getting points sorted if he wants brekkie one day but points the next (ie, slept in the second).  I told him that my understanding from you is that we'll get a card at check-in & we choose then which we prefer - 750 points or cont'l brekkie - and it's not a mixture of either/or after the fact (which presumably would be a nightmare for the hotel to track) & occurs only if the lounge is closed.  Lounge is open, no 750 points option.  Hopefully that was the correct answer!

But that did make me think of something else.  Let's say someone is there a week & lounge is open Mon-Fri but not weekend.  Card is given at check-in & brekkie or points chosen for the weekend part of the stay.  Do they keep the card, or is the software being changed to show the weekend choice (weekday doesn't matter since lounge is open, but will hotel remember 5 days later about the weekend)?

All this talk has made me hungry - time to make an omelette I think

Cheers.

You make my head hurt - can we skip the eggs and go right to the Bloody Marys?  (BTW - neither of which is included in a cntl brekkie). 

Re glparks experience - I can't know the circumstance that caused the experience but will happily have the hotel contacted to ensure they're in full compliance.  We will always have Outlaws, it's just a matter of getting good, old Marshall Dillon to pay a visit...

Re the FT musings:  combo deals are fine (food one day, points the next) but the member should stop by the desk the day before to ensure that their choice is known.  The dood with the hangover who is paying homage to the porcelain god can't get up at 1p and say -- "oopsie, I missed brekkie and now I'll just get points".  In other words, make the decision before the fact, not afterward.  I'll admit too, the more complex one makes it - especially in the beginning - the more likely a flustered front desk person is to make an oopsie of their own...

Finally - Oy...  Make that two Bloody Mary's.  Your choice for points is noted in the system, but not posted until after your stay.  And the hotel should remember.  From my lips...

vickisocal Platinum

Did anyone ever get an answer to what Marriott means by "continental breakfast" either for hotels not having a lounge at all or for hotels with lounge closed on weekends. Is there a definition of what is included in a continental breakfast?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...