12 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2013 6:41 PM by iahflyr RSS

Grand Cayman Welcome Back Slap In The Face

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

After staying at the Marriott Grand Cayman Beach Resort last month and having a few issues during our stay I received a message from the hotel apologizing for our inconvenience and offered to send a "welcome back" certificate good for two free nights at the hotel to be used within a year.  The review of the hotel is the second one shown: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/marriott-hotel-reviews/gcmgc

As promised the certificate came in the mail and was a complete slap in the face based upon the number of restrictions and hotel renovations taking place this summer and fall.  I sent an email message back to the hotel shown here and have yet to get a reply from them regarding this issue. 

I received the "welcome back" certificate yesterday in the mail and while it is a very nice gesture we find this is just about worthless.  In a previous email dated April 19, 2013, shown below I mentioned we would not return until the completion of your renovation, yet it does not appear that was considered with this certificate.

The blackout restrictions placed on the certificate from December 20, 2013 until April 30, 2014, and your renovations taking place over this summer/early fall it would appear we have approximately 30 days in which to use this certificate.  If my calculations are correct that provides a 30 day window from mid November 2013 until December 19, 2013, for use of the certificate which as you can probably tell is certainly a small window of opportunity and other travel plans have already been made during that time.  Then more restrictions, reservations cannot be made more than three months in advance and subject to being available which makes this useless.

Your kind gesture would be much better received and could be used if there were no restrictions placed upon a "welcome back" certificate where it could be combined with travel plans that are made 4-6 months in advance and reflected the desired room upgrade of a "junior suite" which we originally booked for our stay at your resort.  I don't wish to sound ungrateful for your offer, but wish the offer was one that could actually be used since it is titled "welcome back".

I'm guessing this is just another in the growing list of Marriott issues that makes the most loyal customers desire to book hotel rooms with other hotel chain or independents.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands Marriott Hotels & Resorts Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
  • Re: Grand Cayman Welcome Back Slap In The Face
    jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

Hi IAHFLYR, yes that does sound dissappointing for sure, on one hand you get offered a nice gesture then the other hand in essence pulling it back. Has this hotel responded to your comments yet?

I'm thinking they will want to make sure your happy in the end....I mean I hope they will.

JD

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Well, it looks like they wanted to make up for the original problems but didn't think it through very well. I'm with you IAH...If you're going to offer an apology, it should come without 100 strings attached.

painedplatinum,

Yep, just give me one string which is getting on the plane to Grand Cayman whenever I want within a year.

jamesdean, no a word from them and it's been a week now since I sent the message.  Making me happy now as I sit and simmer will be a bit more interesting the longer it takes.

Guess I'll have to find a way to lower my rating of the hotel also, guess all the accolades I gave the staff doesn't apply to the management.

Location Brand Hotel
      Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands Marriott Hotels & Resorts Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort
    mmadden2 Platinum

I received a similar certificate after a poor stay at Gaylord National (single night stay). I called to tell them that my wife would rather try another property so we'd prefer points. They said no originality (of course) but I pressed until they agreed to 25,000 points (it was a cat 5 at the time).

Moral of the story? Ask for 80,000 points in exchange for tearing up the certificate- and don't take no for an answer (at least I wouldn't). Good luck!

After lowering my rating of the property yesterday, I got an email from Marriott Social Media folks who asked the hotel contact me within 48 hours.  They have 24 of those left before I send the social media person an email.

Yeah mmadden2, at this point I almost want my entire points used for the trip to be put back in my account, but we shall see what happens next.

Update...got a one sentence email with all of four words in it from the hotel asking when we'd be returning.  That is a bold assumption thinking we want to return after no reply from the property until Social Media got involved.  It's sad to have to say as others have that some Marriott properties just don't care about loyal Marriott guests and Grand Cayman's lack of management initiative in this case validates the point.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Sounds like perhaps its time to remove the hotel from the puzzle and just work directly with Customer Service.  If all the hotel can manage is a one liner, clearly they are not demonstrating their desire to earn your business back.  Sadly I have had some similar experiences with loyalty value in places that have steady occupancy rates.  They figure if its not me in the room someone will be there and certainly folks looking to turn in points for a stay.  With the constant devaluation of our points, loyalty and the reward for loyalty is something the brand cannot loose.  Honestly if I did not have status with Marriott and my kitty of saved up points, I'm not sure I would work as hard to maintain my loyalty.

I agree with ya zukracer.  I sent the message forward to the Social Services media folks this morning and asked if they wanted me to have any further communication with the hotel.  No reply yet however; I expect that will be their response and I'll deal with them and them alone.  I'm in the same situation with the points in the kitty, but if they look at my hotel stays so far this year as well as future books and compare to the same time over the last 8-9 years it will show I am NOT staying in their hotels much at all.

trippin' I am keeping the faith for sure.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

They can see similar in my records but mine is also more due to project assignments and in a lot of cases lack of overall travel.  The other for me is costs.  Where our office is in the UK, the closest Marriott property is 100p more a night and I just cant justify it.  I do have the fancy Diamond status at Best Western now though   Some of their properties in the UK are quite nice old manor homes, castles, etc so while different its not bad. 

I still want and value my Marriott status, for example this week I got the client to approve staying at a Springhill instead of the Wyndham where they have a rate/shuttle service.  I'm walking the mile to the office each day because the hotel shuttle is independently owned and only runs to the airport apparently.  I need the exercise but its little things like that for a top tier member that would make it easier for me to keep staying at Marriott properties.  I can't fault them they say on their page that they stopped doing office shuttle runs, I made the decision to stay there so I can walk but if the hotel management waived their magic wand I'd have no reason to ever look elsewhere while on this 6wk engagement. 

Having said all that, I do enjoy my PP status, it seems internationally, specifically Europe it is rewarded nicely and I'll keep doing what I need to do for some bigger family vacation plans in the coming years. Once those trips are done, and mind you they are big ones like a month in Australia I think my level of effort to maintain loyalty will change. 

I hope they resolve your issue, we all know how much we have to do to earn these points, even the bonus/free ones.  It would be nice if they treated them like the gold we value them at instead of some third world currency.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

This is so disappointing; look at how hard you have to work to just get them to give you good customer service.  I really, really hope this is resolved in your favor with lots of extra points added to your account!

We shall see.....so far noting from anyone in the last 36 hours.  But then who knows what days they have off and when they work so I'll give it until sometime this weekend before I send in the Green Berets!

trippin' Alumni Steward Member 3 Reviews

Ugh, I hate it when that happens.  I had a similiar thing happen with Hyatt in Miami.  I received a suite upgrade - but had no tine to use it - and refuse to go back to that hideous hotel.  (this was a few years ago)

Keep the faith buddy!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...